Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faucet/Shank problem

Hey guys,

I have a Danby Kegerator.. I bought it used off of Craigslist and replaced the beer hose after I got it.. It has been empty since around Halloween (money went to other things during the holidays!) and before I get a new keg I was going to clean the lines.. The problem is I can't get the faucet off the shank. I have the tool but it just seems like it is stuck. I unscrewed the nut on the back and pulled it off and am thinking the easiest thing may be to just get a new faucet and shank.

Now here is the question. Should I get a shank that has the nipple built in? Or just get one of the shanks without it and buy a nipple and nut separately? Also what length of shank? On the ones without a nipple they have 2 1/8" shanks where as the nipple shanks smallest product is 3 1/2". I have 3/16" beer line so I am assuming I need to match that with a shank with a 3/16" bore?

Already ordered my Newcastle keg (comes in Thursday) so I want to get everything done ASAP.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Acousticcountry,
    I have to apologize in advance because been told I am elitist for asking questions that are obvious, but did you turn the right direction?
    This fitting is a reverse thread, sooo righty loosey, if you did sorry if you didn't, you don't have to change either and get to getting ready for the keg, if the beer line wasn't cleaned before you stopped using unit, just replace with new beer line (safer and simpler than cleaning).

If you did turn the right way, reply I'll get into what you need, post budget.
    KB
    Last edited by KillianBoy; 01-18-2014, 03:20 PM.

Comment

No problem! I actually did turn the right way, but not before turning the wrong way. Didn't realize it was opposite at first. Hopefully I didn't cause the problem in the first place by trying "lefty loosey" at first.. I have tried to loosen it with the faucet tool as well as with locking pliers (with a cloth wrapped around the faucet base). Replacing the line would be an easy fix.. Can you get beer line from the local hardware store? I ordered from here when I replaced before.

Thanks again for replying so quickly!

Comment

Acousticcountry,
        It's a sensitive fitting, the compression joint thread can be damaged by any pressure from the outside, that's the reason for the faucet wrench, should have checked in before using locking pliers, most times it would have taken a little hot water and patience to separate faucet and shank, could be the previous owner messed it up but right now because of deadline best to leave aside and buy new gear.
        Buy the elbow shank in stainless, expensive but worth it, this should be all you need, with faucet of your choice (stainless preferable) and you are good. Buy the beer line from MM (or wherever you order from) 10+ feet of the 3/16 ID line at same time, buy washers, new faucet wrench (could be old one worn down) and cleaning gear if you don't have.
        While waiting for delivery, look through forum on putting shank back and replacing line.
        KB

Comment

Acousticcountry,
          I agree with KB that the Shank Rink may be damaged, they tend to get out of round very easily when pliers are used. However, I am an optimist. Try soaking the shank and faucet in hot water then try to remove the faucet. Beer is one heck of a glue once it has had time to dry and set up. If that doesn't work for you check out Micromatic part # 4329AS-3E-304.

Comment

OP:

Your looking at the wrong shanks.. those shanks are for thru wall set ups. You need the nipple shanks.
            4329AS-3E-304.jpg
            S/S
            Keg Beer Elbow Shank Assembly
            Chrome
            Keg Beer Elbow Shank Assembly
            What I got:
            Beverage Air #BM23
            with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
            -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
            -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
            -MM S/S Keg Couplers
            YouTube video of the goods