Bypass the thermostat on a BM23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bypass the thermostat on a BM23

I'm thinking about trying to bypass the thermostat and using a Johnson Controls Digital Thermostat Control Unit to control the temp.
    Any suggestions on how I can bypass the thermostat?

andygeekboy,
    I guess the answer is it depends.
    There are several models of JC ETC, wired and plug-in, plug-in is simplest.
    With plug-in, just make sure the unit gets cold enough at 1/2-3/4 cold, then just set the max cold, plug unit into ETC and I think you are good.
    With wired, I'd get an electrician to help bypass thermostat, this way you can get fans to work when compressor turns off. With the short cycle time it really might not matter.
    My 2 cents, if unit keeps the beer cold enough, I'd live with it, BM-23 is a professional unit, it really doesn't need a temperature controller. With the fan circulating air and steel interior, the BM-23 should keep temperatures pretty stable, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    KB
    Last edited by KillianBoy; 03-20-2013, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks Killian,

I think I'm going to buy a plug in stat controller as I want to use the kegerator for homebrewing.
      I guess I could just crank it up and let the controller do it's thing

Thanks again

Comment

andygeekboy,
        I'm kinda confused, as a person who thought about homebrewing, other than force carbonation I can't see any difference between commercial kegs and homebrew kegs in a kegerator temperature-wise.
        Can you post exactly what you plan on doing with homebrew with your BM-23.
        KB

Comment

Hi Killian,

I want to use the kegerator to maintain a constant temp for the fermentation process.
          When 'lagering' you need to maintain a low temp for quite a while (I believe as I'm really new to the homebrew scene also)

Comment

Hey Killian,

This explains it a bit better than me

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/lager-kegerator-52326/

Comment

andygeekboy,
              You should check around but from what I have read you don't need a really constant temperature (unlike dispensing) to ferment the beer, just a cool dark place for fermentation to take place. It also is a long and drawn out process that may take several days, even a few weeks. That's just till you get the right amount of fermentation, then you got to do your force carbonation, that's a long time for the beer glass to be empty.
              You should consult a local homebrew club or store or check homebrew sites, the couple I looked at just say cool (50 to 70 degrees) and dark is fine, you really don't a kegerator for this, I think that's just overkill. If I did use some sort of refrigeration for fermentation, I'd buy a second hand refrigerator, and you really don't need a ETC, just set at warmest temperature and you should be fine. but I think finding a cool dark place should be fine.
              KB
              You posted before I finished mine, what ebeer says is what I'm saying, get a separate refrigerator for dispensing, he uses a separate Sanyo to ferment (I don't think he uses that to dispense), he also said you could ferment and dispense from same kegerator but as he says, it either might be too cold to ferment and too warm to drink.
              So dispense from your BM-23 and use a separate refrigerator to lager, is best.
              Last edited by KillianBoy; 03-22-2013, 02:19 PM.

Comment

andygeekboy,
                After more research I'd say if this is your first try at homebrew either read up on everything about making lager or don't make it the first, try an ale before the lager.
                You also have a fermentation phase and lagering phase, most say a 10 degree difference in the two, you probably can lager and dispense in kegerator without a ETC, but you still need to ferment at 50-60 degrees, which all told might take 4-7 weeks before its beer. I think it's simpler to get another refrigerator.
                KB

Comment

Good temperature control during fermentation is very important in improving your home brewed beer. However I keep beer in my kegerator and have a dedicated fermenting fridge for fermentation.
                  Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
                  but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Thanks guys,

I'm looking at getting another chest freezer for lagering.

Regarding the room temp thing, I live in South Florida so I was thinking that using the kegger until the other undit arrives might work best

Comment

Working...
                    X