Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob Questions, Single-Tap vs. Double-Tap Setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob Questions, Single-Tap vs. Double-Tap Setup?

I will get off to a great start with my first post on this wonderful forum by displaying my total ignorance on the subject of Kegerators!

I have ordered, but not yet received, a BM23 and will be buying all the necessary bits and pieces from MM in the next few days. Before buying the BM23, I went back-and-forth between a single-tap setup and a double-tap setup and settled for the single, impulsively, because I could get it quicker. Dumb! I am considering getting the double faucet tower and converting it as I setup the system initially. It's only money, right?!

Before I commit to doing that, I have a couple of questions to make sure the double tap system will have the benefits I think it will. Because I am the only beer drinker always in the household, I will usually have only one keg tapped most of the time. My thinking on the double-tap system is that when having guests or a party, I could tap a second keg for a little variety and more capacity. Also, it seems when only one keg is tapped and getting low, I could tap a second keg and have no interruption when the first keg played out. Does or can it work like that? I guess what I am really asking is, would there be a problem using just one side of the system a good part of the time and often switching between them?

TIA for any help you might provide!

First of all, welcome to the forum...

It will depend on what you prefer. If you just go with the same flavor all the time then all you would have to do is have the spare keg already cooled down & waiting in the kegerator. It is then just a simple matter of turning off the co2, uncoupling the old keg & coupling it up to the new. No need for an additional tap or faucet.
    If you like variety then adding taps is the way to go. It would necessitate adding another regulator for the other keg & an additional coupler. I believe you can fit up to three sixth kegs in the BM23 so...
    Here is another option... Tower Adapter - 3" Column - Chrome - 2 Shank Assembly
    Decisions, decisions...

​THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Kudzu,
      You should check with the places you are going to get your kegs from and see availability of 1/6 and slim 1/4 (and cornies) and see what they have and can get. If everything you want only comes in 1/2 keg, get the single tap, then experiment with beers you haven't tried in smaller kegs and when ready get the one THE ICEMAN recommended, if you can get everything you like in smaller kegs, go crazy, get the dual tap and the the 2 tap adapter and enjoy.
      KB

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
        First of all, welcome to the forum...

...If you like variety then adding taps is the way to go. It would necessitate adding another regulator for the other keg & an additional coupler. I believe you can fit up to three sixth kegs in the BM23 so...
        Here is another option... Tower Adapter - 3" Column - Chrome - 2 Shank Assembly
        Decisions, decisions...
        ​THE ICEMAN
        Thanks for the welcome and the helpful info. I did not even know about the Tower Adapter.

As it turns out, the B23 ordered may be able to be changed to the double faucet model. Since the difference in price to me would only be $50, that is a no-brainer if the order can be chaged without a penalty or restocking fee. It will be tomorrow before I can find out the status of that order and what can be done.

Your Killer Kegerator is one of the first and coolest things I found on this forum. I have sent all of your pictures of it to my adult son and suggested he needs to build one for his man cave.

Comment

Originally posted by KillianBoy View Post
          Kudzu,
          You should check with the places you are going to get your kegs from and see availability of 1/6 and slim 1/4 (and cornies) and see what they have and can get. If everything you want only comes in 1/2 keg, get the single tap, then experiment with beers you haven't tried in smaller kegs and when ready get the one THE ICEMAN recommended, if you can get everything you like in smaller kegs, go crazy, get the dual tap and the the 2 tap adapter and enjoy.
          KB
          Thanks KB! I can get SABL and SNPA, my every-day beers, in 1/6's. I also like to try different beers and switch around, but that will be limited to what I can get locally in smaller kegs. Fortunately, we now have a great local craft beer store that continually rotates through ten or twelve different draught beers for growler fills. Things have really changed for the better on the beer scene in the last few years - life is good!

Comment

Originally posted by Kudzu View Post
            Thanks KB! I can get SABL and SNPA, my every-day beers, in 1/6's. I also like to try different beers and switch around, but that will be limited to what I can get locally in smaller kegs. Fortunately, we now have a great local craft beer store that continually rotates through ten or twelve different draught beers for growler fills. Things have really changed for the better on the beer scene in the last few years - life is good!
            Based on this I would highly recommend going with a double tap set up. I struggled with the same decision when I bought my kegerator back in March, and I am so glad I went with a double.

I think you'll be surprised at how much you'll enjoy having options available, and will probably keep 2 kegs tapped all the time. That way you can always have one of your everday beers on one tap, and rotate something interesting on the other. I'm the only regular beer drinker in my household, and that's what I do. With 1/6's there isn't really much risk of a keg going bad before you finish it.
            On: Kona Pipeline Porter, Redhook Longhammer IPA

Gone: NB - 5xRanger, 8x1554, Red Hoptober, Day, Coffee Chocolate Stout, SN 3 xTorpedo, 2xPale, 2xCelebration, Highland 3xOatmeal Porter, Coffee Porter, Terrpain Wake-n-Bake Stout, Widmer - Porter, Shaddock IPA, SA Octoberfest, So Tier - Choklat, Mokah, 2XStout, Great Divide Yeti Stout, 4xHoly City Pluff Mud Porter, Coast HopArt, Smithwicks, 3xSweetwater 420, 2xFoothills HoppYUM IPA, Redhook Pils, Conquest Black IPA

Comment

Originally posted by stn View Post
              Based on this I would highly recommend going with a double tap set up. I struggled with the same decision when I bought my kegerator back in March, and I am so glad I went with a double.

I think you'll be surprised at how much you'll enjoy having options available, and will probably keep 2 kegs tapped all the time. That way you can always have one of your everday beers on one tap, and rotate something interesting on the other. I'm the only regular beer drinker in my household, and that's what I do. With 1/6's there isn't really much risk of a keg going bad before you finish it.
              Agree 100%, and my situation is the same as far as being the only drinker. I usually have something with a bit more flavor and something mild that appeals to a wider audience. Always 2 tapped.
              What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Originally posted by stn View Post
                Originally posted by djc View Post
                Agree 100%, and my situation is the same as far as being the only drinker. I usually have something with a bit more flavor and something mild that appeals to a wider audience. Always 2 tapped.
                Great minds...

When it turned out that the difference between the single-tap and double tap ordered from the dealer was $50, I figured that was a no-brainer (No-brainers are what I do best!).

When I initially posted the question, I was concerned that using just one side at the time and switching back-and-forth might be a problem but, apparently, that is not an issue. You two are right, anyway, I will probably always have two kegs tapped.

I am thinking my MO might be to have both of my every-day beers in the kegerator and do my variety and exploring with growlers and bottles. Even a 1/6'er is a LOT of beer for one guy if he does not REALLY like it. However it turns out, it will be an interesting and fun learning experience.

Comment

You definitely don't want to buy a keg untasted, always test.
                  What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

A bit late to the party, but getting a dual tap is the way to go. I got my BF a single for Christmas/Valentine's years ago. Within a couple months, I bought a dual tap on eBay. It's a single keg system, but his "go to" beer is Chesterfield which comes in tall 1/4's (I think Foster's does too) and I generally get 1/6's. Except when we have the Mad Elf on tap, a splitter for the CO2 is just fine. I recently got a dual regulator (two different pressures) so we can have a "heavy" and a "light" beer on tap.

Oh, and some people go on about drilling a new hole for the dual tap tower. I just took off the old tower and put on the new. Don't have a blower system "we cool our tower with beer"

Comment

Working...
                    X