Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temperature slowly creeping up on BM-23 unit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature slowly creeping up on BM-23 unit.

Purchased a BM23-2 direct from Micro Matic in August of 2010. (Outstanding experience and service, BTW.)

Originally had the temperature control set to about six and temp of pours were about 38 degrees. Occasionally would have small condensation puddles in the interior, floor of the unit ice over. Never seemed to cause a problem so didn't worry about it.

Over the past six months the unit seems to have stopped cooling as well as it did. I've slowly had to increase the dial of the temp control to 9. Now pours are registering about 40 and foam is starting to become an issue. I understand one is the warmest setting and nine the coldest with Beverage Air suggesting a starting dial of 5. Also, I'm assuming, the small screw on the back of the unit, currently adjacent to the "9" in this picture, is the "dialed-in" setting, right?

DSC_3112.jpg

I've checked and vacuumed around the compressor and the cooling coils and did remove some dust, cat hair, etc. Difficult to really work a vacuum nozzle in that small area so not sure I got all, or even most, of the debris. The unit is in an open room, not located near any windows or direct sun, and has ventilation on all sides. I can feel the fan pushing warm air (quite warm) at a pretty forcible rate. Still, the unit isn't cooling like it did previously. I've also noted no ice on the interior of the unit. (Although, again, this was pretty minimal and no non-frozen water is present either.) Also, when first had the unit it wasn't odd to have the tower with condensation on the exterior. (Florida and pretty high humidity most of the year.) Now it's rare to have that also though the Trane AC does a good job with moisture in the house.

The unit doesn't seem to be running any differently than when first set up. Cycles don't seem to have changed at all. Current keg is sixtel of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, I know, I know, guilty pleasure and is the 17th keg I've had in the system. I know Sam can be a bit temperamental with foam but never had a problem before. The slow, necessary change in the dial seems to maintain a temperature is what concerns me at this point.

I've never had the unit officially serviced so am wondering if that needs to be done? Any other thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ThreeCircles,
    While you wait for response from the Bev-Air pros, can you check the square of the door? Make sure the seal is tight on all four sides and can you track down the source of leak, if from roof of unit then it might be moisture getting in, either from door or maybe the tower connection.
    For cleaning you could look into a "As Seen on TV" item called the "Lint Lizard", been looking into getting it it looks pretty handy for tight spaces.
    KB

Comment

TC, about the only thing I see from the info that you have provided is that you find that you are experiencing "quite warm" air coming off of the condenser coil. This tells me that the progressive warm up & that you see that the coils might be nice & clean on the outside, they might be clogged with dust deep inside the coils. Get ahold of some compressed air & blow out the coils. It may raise a cloud of dust so be prepared. Set the temp control back where it was & see what happens.

OBTW, I have cleared space on the PMs if you wish to go that way. Sorry about that.

THE ICEMAN
      My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
      "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
      -Dave Barry-
      "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
      Strong beer is the milk of the old."
      -Martin Luther-

Comment

Originally posted by KillianBoy View Post
        Make sure the seal is tight on all four sides and can you track down the source of leak, if from roof of unit then it might be moisture getting in, either from door or maybe the tower connection.
        For cleaning you could look into a "As Seen on TV" item called the "Lint Lizard", been looking into getting it it looks pretty handy for tight spaces.
        KB
        Thank you for the info. Did check the entire seal around the door and it makes complete contact all the way around the unit. Don't feel even the slightest air leak at all.

I'm thinking the minimal moisture enters the system when the door is opened and shut. As said, it's only occasional and none is present at the moment.

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN
        Get ahold of some compressed air & blow out the coils. It may raise a cloud of dust so be prepared.
        That's on my agenda. Thank you.

Comment

ThreeCircles,
          You could throw a powerful flashlight inside and be certain you have no air leaks. There has to be a reason for the the puddles of water, make sure unit is level, both ways, everything is hooked up right (the tower is tight to unit and is insulated, tower cooler blower in right place). Have you had unit running regularly since you bought it or has it been idle (off) for a period of time?
          KB

Comment

Working...
          X