bm23 condenser fan cycling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bm23 condenser fan cycling

SORRY! Posted in wrong forum earlier today.

Just acquired a bm23 (r134a) free. Unknown age. Cleaned it up and it looks great. The unit cools down and holds temp (my canned beer in there is at a great temp). Couple of things though.

The old owner replaced the orig condenser fan with an axial fan he bought at Grainger or the like. It works (although not mounted to the unit) but it comes on about every 3 minutes or so and runs for about a minute or so. The unit has been on for a couple of days and is cold inside. Cursory look shows the door seal looks ok. Evaporator fan runs great. Compressor and coils never get that hot.

Is that normal? Is the relay or thermostat jacked up? BTW, temp set knob inside the unit is missing. I need to use a screwdriver to change the temp setting.

Also, I need to replace the evaporator drain flange. This is the part that is under the evaporator drain that connects to the hose that runs to the basin under the unit. Anyone know what that part # is?

Last, does anyone know of any caster replacements that I could get from Grainger or somewhere like that? My unit is missing the front two.

Thanks gang!

Originally posted by sonomajoe View Post
    SORRY! Posted in wrong forum earlier today.

Just acquired a bm23 (r134a) free. Unknown age. Cleaned it up and it looks great. The unit cools down and holds temp (my canned beer in there is at a great temp). Couple of things though.

The old owner replaced the orig condenser fan with an axial fan he bought at Grainger or the like. It works (although not mounted to the unit) but it comes on about every 3 minutes or so and runs for about a minute or so. The unit has been on for a couple of days and is cold inside. Cursory look shows the door seal looks ok. Evaporator fan runs great. Compressor and coils never get that hot.

Is that normal? Is the relay or thermostat jacked up? BTW, temp set knob inside the unit is missing. I need to use a screwdriver to change the temp setting.
    First of all, welcome to the forum.
    The condenser fan & the compressor should be running & shutting down at the same time. They both are controlled by the temperature control as needed. If the compressor runs while the fan does not, you have a problem. I would look into replacing the axial fan with a standard 9W CW 115V motor. I presume the original blade & motor bracket is gone too so you will need one of those. Here is a PDF of parts for the BM23... http://download.partstown.com/is-bin...s/BM23_spm.pdf

Originally posted by sonomajoe
    Also, I need to replace the evaporator drain flange. This is the part that is under the evaporator drain that connects to the hose that runs to the basin under the unit. Anyone know what that part # is?
    Here is one source... BEVERAGE AIR DRAIN FLANGE - ADAPTOR - 205-151A

​THE ICEMAN
    Last edited by THE ICEMAN; 04-04-2012, 10:11 PM.
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Thanks ICEMAN! My understanding is that the condenser fan should only run if the coil needs cooling and, I assume that would mean that the compressor has just completed or is in the middle of a cooling cycle. Is that correct? I guess what I am asking is this. Is the compressor kicking on all these times that I hear the condenser fan running?

Also, I've found much cheaper fan motors than the original replacement. Would you recommend going with the $100 motor over something much cheaper? I realize the bracket could cause a problem but is there any other reason?

Thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonomajoe View Post
        Thanks ICEMAN! My understanding is that the condenser fan should only run if the coil needs cooling and, I assume that would mean that the compressor has just completed or is in the middle of a cooling cycle. Is that correct? I guess what I am asking is this. Is the compressor kicking on all these times that I hear the condenser fan running?

Also, I've found much cheaper fan motors than the original replacement. Would you recommend going with the $100 motor over something much cheaper? I realize the bracket could cause a problem but is there any other reason?

Thank you!!
        Yes, they should be working at the same time. You will have to make the determination whether that is happening.

A 9 watt motor shouldn't be too expensive. Do some shopping around.

THE ICEMAN
        "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
        -Dave Barry-
        -Martin Luther-

Comment

Sorry about piggybacking on this thread. I'm new to all this and not sure if I should post a new question or start a new thread, but I am experiencing a similar problem with my 25+ yr. old BM23. Purchased in Jan. 2012 and has worked perfectly (other than noisy compressor upon beginning of cycle, lasts for about 45 secs). Tapped two 1/4 kegs several days ago and temp. stays right at 50 deg. Noticed last night condenser fan not cycling with compressor. Placed portable fan behind unit blowing on compressor and coils, temp. now at 35 deg. Is there a fan reset or overload switch that can be reset, or should I replace the fan? I noticed that a 9w cw 115 volt fan was recommended in this thread by ICEMAN. I looked on the Bev. Air parts list link for the BM23 fan and they have a 5w fan listed. Should I go with the 5w or is that fan for the newer models, and if so, where would I find a 9w fan? I appreciate any assistance anyone can give. Hopefully 2 1/2 days of 50 deg. storage didn't ruin the beer, and / or overheat the compressor too much. BTW..evap. fan and thermostat seem to be working fine.

Comment

I tried searching on here for the answer, but just want to confirm. A friend of mine gave me a bm23 beverage air kegorator, I cleaned the condenser coils and changed the the thermostat. The compressor has a sticker that says 1986 on it, a dinosaur. Ive gotten the temp inside the unit get down to about 37. My question is: the condenser fan (the one in the back lower exterior of unit) never seems to turn off, I hear the cycle of the compressor go on and off, is this fan being on all the time normal? If not what may be the issue ? The compressor is warm, but not overly hot to the touch.

Comment

Originally posted by Houseparty738 View Post
              I tried searching on here for the answer, but just want to confirm. A friend of mine gave me a bm23 beverage air kegorator, I cleaned the condenser coils and changed the the thermostat. The compressor has a sticker that says 1986 on it, a dinosaur. Ive gotten the temp inside the unit get down to about 37. My question is: the condenser fan (the one in the back lower exterior of unit) never seems to turn off, I hear the cycle of the compressor go on and off, is this fan being on all the time normal? If not what may be the issue ? The compressor is warm, but not overly hot to the touch.
              First of all, welcome to the forum.

Beverage Air does produce some reach in coolers that have the condenser fan running all the time but I don't recall running across any BM23s that do. It is possible it came from Bev Air that way but it is likely someone has re-wired it over the years. Other than using a bit more energy, it won't hurt a thing.

​THE ICEMAN
              -Dave Barry-
              -Martin Luther-

Comment

Thanks Iceman, just a quick update the keg I put in the unit was being kept in another fridge. After I put the cold keg in the kegerator the temp went to 37. However now it seems the temps may have equalized and now the inside of the bm23 unit the temp is roughly 45. I am thinking it could be a low freon issue and I should contact a refrigerator repairman.

Comment

Update, got refrigerator guy in, he recharged the freon in the system. Now it's ice cold, kegerator was sitting idle for about 2 years before I got it.

Comment

We're fortunate to have the Iceman helping us with real HAVAC knowledge on this site. Thank you Iceman for all you do.

Comment

DITTO

Many times over, thanks pvs6 and to THE ICEMAN
                      KB

Comment

Originally posted by pvs6 View Post
                        We're fortunate to have the Iceman helping us with real HAVAC knowledge on this site. Thank you Iceman for all you do.
                        Originally posted by KillianBoy
                        Many times over, thanks pvs6 and to THE ICEMAN
                        KB
                        Thanks kids! I do what I can. We're all one big family here.

Originally posted by HP738
                        Update, got refrigerator guy in, he recharged the freon in the system. Now it's ice cold, kegerator was sitting idle for about 2 years before I got it.
                        Keep in mind that if he had to add refrigerant it means that the refrigerant that was in there to begin with had to go somewhere. In other words, there may be a slow leak. If the unit stops cooling in a couple of weeks there is a fairly substantial leak. If it takes 8, 10, 12 months or longer before it acts up there is a relatively small leak & it may be hard to find.
                        Keep an eye on it.
                        -Dave Barry-
                        -Martin Luther-

Comment

The hvac guy said that about the leak, but is there any else that would cause it,to leak? He put a valve on the freon line as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X