Co2 leak thru the pressure releif valve on coupler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co2 leak thru the pressure releif valve on coupler

Purchased my first keg, new magic chef (visani)MCKC4905. Yes I know, not a popular product on this site..... I've been researching the advice on this board and have been tuning the psi and temp to finally get it perfect over a few days of adjusting. Thought i was ready for the big games yesterday when I go back into the fridge and hear a faint hissing by the valve. My coupler has a button like valve that can be pulled out to release the pressure, not a ring, like the ones on this site. I had to physically push it on to stop the hiss, as soon as I took my finger off it started hissing again. Lost all my co2 and almost lost my guests as i was bragging about having draft beer a few days prior. Backup bottles came in handy.

Has anyone had this issue, is it just a bad coupler? can it be too cold for this mechanism to work properly, I'm at 33* and there is a very slight frost on the co2 tank. Thank you

I had exactly the same problem with my unit and it is why I replaced my coupler with a Micromatic component.

The o ring in the pressure relief valve becomes dislodged from its seat and leaks. The construction tolerances are so weak that it will happen to you again. You can disassemble the relief valve and put the o ring back in place but if you pull the relief valve again it will come off.

Just go for a new coupler and never have this problem again.
    "There's damsels in distress out there, and we got all this beer"
    -Jimmy Buffett

Comment

A coupler is already in my shopping cart, can I ask which tower you replaced yours with, I NEED the same size as I have now because of how I have it mounted through my basement bar top....do the 2.5" towers on this site have the same footprint as the visani? Thanks

Comment

I did not replace my tower I still have the 2 1/2” tower. I did remove the plastic insert that holds the tower to the top of the unit and mounted the tower directly to the top of the unit to gain more return air space. I replaced the shank and faucet with the stainless steel components. If I were to do it again I think I would go to a 3” tower just to get that bit more air return space.

I also ran my beer line inside my tower cooling hose to help preserve air return space in the 2 1/2 “tower. I used 1” bilge pump hose from Lowes for my tower cooling hose.

If you haven’t added tower cooling do it soon as well as adding a small fan at the top of the unit to circulate air in the cabinet.

I would guess that the micro matic tower would have about the same foot print as the vissani tower although as I stated before if I were changing towers I would opt for the 3”.
        -Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Please forgive me, I am a bit new to this. Which shank should fit this tower? I will be a "job" to replace the whole tower. There are many to choose from and I don't want to purchase the wrong size and have to do it twice. Thank you for your patience.
          Tom

Comment

Here you go>

Keg Beer Elbow Shank Assembly

Draft Beer Keg Faucet, Stainless Steel

If you haven’t yet lengthened you beer line this is the perfect time to do it. All the longer line will do is slow the flow of beer. It just makes it easier for the rookies to get the perfect pour, it also helps guys like me. Argument will be made for 8’ and 10’, they both work so pick it. I started out with 10 and cut mine back a bit so it is some where between 8 and 10.
            -Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Oh crap I forgot to mention if you change to a new Micro Matic coupler you will need a new coupler nut.

Beer Line Wing Coupling Nut

Even the threads on the coupler nut are that off size.
              -Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Thanks again for all your help with this....

Comment

Tassenza,
                  Sorry, I forgot to mention the shank, I myself have a Chinese made tap, parts really don't fit US parts (at least the Haier has a US lever that will fit US taps).
                  Hopefully the 33 degrees is a glass of water and not the beer temperature and you will always have a little frost on the CO2 tank, I think you may be opening the door too often, this let's moisture in and cause the cold plate to ice over.
                  If your going with wing nut and beer line, you also need the clamps and tailpiece and make sure you get a bunch of neoprene washers.
                  KB

Comment

Working...
                  X