Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you accept a keg without the plastic cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you accept a keg without the plastic cap?

Hello,
    I went to Bevmo to pick up anew keg last night. The guy wheels the keg out from back and I notice there is no cap over where the coupler goes.
    I've been through about 40 kegs in my years and this was the first time I had ever got a keg with out the souvenir. I was tempted to refuse it, but I didn't, since this keg was ordered for me a week ago.
    I washed out the fitting really good with bleach and water blew it out really well with compressed air. It's in my kegerator settling.
    My question is; would you have accepted it or refused it?
    Thanks!

I have taken one that way, similar situation. No ill effects, I checked the seal and cleaned it off and that was that. I was more worried about having the cap for my collection. Solved that by ordering the same keg for my company picnic and hijacking it on the way to the event.
    What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

yeah it's just a piece of plastic. The can get knocked off. As long as the beer is good when you drink it....

Home Brew IPA

Comment

I have got burned twice. If there is no date on the keg or if it's older and there is mold growing on the seal, it's old dont except it.
        No CRAP! on tap

Comment

Thanks. I was wondering, because kegs like Pacifico and Heineken, that is a brewery seal. You crack it, you bought it. Luckily, the beer is good. I got Rolling Rock that is supposed to be from Old Latrobe in PA. It is from MO in Anheuser Busch'S main plant.....oh, the humanity...lol
          Last edited by Snakeman70; 12-02-2011, 10:30 AM. Reason: ******* is a banned word?

Comment

Need a few more clues to figure out the banned word.

Comment

it's probably f a c t o r y. A competitor of micromatic has that word in their name so it's banned. Goofy. AB purchased Rolling Rock several years ago. Before InBev bought out AB, even.

And Mirko, if the cap was just missing, I'd probably not worry about it too much, but if there were mold growing around the coupler area, there's no way I would accept the keg. That's gross. Most of the breweries I get beer from also put a cardboard collar around the coupler area with the filled date on it. I don't know if I've ever seen a keg with a date on the plastic cap. I don't recall ever getting a keg with no date on it.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Yes, that is the word. Weird.

Comment

someone here in my town is selling a 1/2 new keg of new castle and says it's been stored in a cool room with the blinds closed for a few weeks, do you guys think it's still good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gdubss31 View Post
                    someone here in my town is selling a 1/2 new keg of new castle and says it's been stored in a cool room with the blinds closed for a few weeks, do you guys think it's still good?
                    If what he says is true, then it is probably still good. Don't know what having the blinds closed would do though.
                    On tap now: Homebrewed Nut Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Altbier and Berry Blonde Ale.

My Kegerator with Photos

My Kegerator With Photos Update

Comment

The only problem i have or don't know if it's even a problem but i still have about half a full keg on tap left, if i were to purchase it off him can i just leave it in my garage for about a month then tap it after i kill my existing keg? so it will need to sit in my garage (cool place) for about another month, will it still be good?
                      Last edited by Gdubss31; 12-09-2011, 12:04 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't do that, temparature is very important to unpasturized beer. It needs to be cold, not cool room cold, not garage cold, fridge cold. Not worth the potential savings.

Comment

I called the brewery and they said as long as it hasne't ben tapped or refrigerated the keg should be fine but then again the guy told me it hasn't. IDK though just might pass on it.

Comment

I'm sure it had to have been in a walk in at some point - beer stores don't usually sell kegs warm.

Comment

You will also need to invest in an S coupler if you don't have one.

Comment

Working...
                              X