Building and Selling Kegerators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building and Selling Kegerators?

I have an idea I've been kicking around to try and make some extra money. I'm sure others have had similar ideas. I can basically make a two tap home conversion kegerator similar to the one in my signature for around $600 using used upright freezers found on Craigslist. I can usually build these in a couple of hours and would charge around $800 for the finished product.

Here are the pros:

Easy to do
    Doesn't take long
    Make a couple of extra hundred dollars
    Sell a finished and higher quality kegerator to those that don't want to hassle with the cheaper dorm room style kegerators or build their own.

Here are the cons:

Won't be able to offer a warranty since the freezers will be modified and used.
    Sticker shock from the price.
    Is the demand enough to make it worth while. Would like to do at least two a month.
    Will have to teach the people that purchase the ins and outs of owning a kegerator.
    Having to deal with Craigslist to sell them.

Looking for more opinions on this matter.
    On tap now: Homebrewed Nut Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Altbier and Berry Blonde Ale.

My Kegerator with Photos

My Kegerator With Photos Update

I dont think its a good idea because you will not be able to get your cost out of it let alone a $200 profit. If you follow CL or ebay you can see what they go for.
    No CRAP! on tap

Comment

You are probably right. I still may build one and put it on Craigslist to see if it goes. I know that I can always sell it for cost to one of my friends who drool over mine.
      On tap now: Homebrewed Nut Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Altbier and Berry Blonde Ale.

My Kegerator with Photos

Comment

You could sink your whole endeavor with one bum fridge purchase, so I'd say probably not a good business model.
        What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

sorry man, if I were spending $800 on a kegerator it would be a nice used commercial unit or a new Sanyo/Summit. I wouldn't even glance at an ad for a home made kegerator for $800. They are typically going for $200-$300.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Originally posted by cubby_swans View Post
            sorry man, if I were spending $800 on a kegerator it would be a nice used commercial unit or a new Sanyo/Summit. I wouldn't even glance at an ad for a home made kegerator for $800. They are typically going for $200-$300.
            Just curious Cub, what would you be willing to shell out for one such as mine?

I'm just saying that one such as redhawk is proposing is not that far out of line price-wise. If he puts out a good product that doesn't look like someone threw it together as an afterthought, it could work. I have been told more than once that I should go into production with kegerators similar to mine. It takes a lot of labor to get the results I got & the price I would have to charge would be a very limited market. I wouldn't mind doing it but I don't have the space & I'm sure I would have to sit on the product for a while before it sold. For something like redhawk's idea, it might be feasible.

THE ICEMAN
            My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
            "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
            -Dave Barry-
            "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
            Strong beer is the milk of the old."
            -Martin Luther-

Comment

I would think the upright freezer with the johnson control makes a better kegerator than a new sanyo or summit. They are super quiet, hold temperatures like a rock, could probably put it outside if you want, and have a lot more space. Also, you don't have to deal with a tower. But, I know most people don't know that.

I can fit a 1/2 barrel and a 1/6 barrel on the floor, with room for a 1/4 barrel pony keg on top if I want. I can also do two slim 1/4s on the bottom with a 1/4 barrel pony on top too. I love the flexibility these upright freezers give you.
              Last edited by redhawk; 12-01-2011, 08:02 AM.

My Kegerator with Photos

Comment

I'm just saying what the average joe would probably do, if shopping for a kegerator. You'd have to be able to get them to look at your kegerator and read the details about it, in order to point out the pros. I just don't see that happening.

Now... get a paint job like Iceman's and you'd be in business!

Home Brew IPA

Comment

I'm just saying what the average joe would probably do, if shopping for a kegerator. You'd have to be able to get them to look at your kegerator and read the details about it, in order to point out the pros. I just don't see that happening.

Now... get a paint job like Iceman's and you'd be in business!
                  I agree with your comments and listed in my cons list. Maybe me and Iceman could be partners. Though I'm sure he wouldn't need me around to screw things up. LOL

My Kegerator with Photos

Comment

I think you may be able to make a little money doing this. I can't see a person being able to build kegerators and quit their day job, but a little side money could be made maybe. I agree with Cubby that people cruising CL for a kegerator likely aren't going to pay much, but a niche market for something like Iceman has could spread by word of mouth easily in the right areas I suspect.
                    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
                    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Working...
                    X