Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First keg in brand new kegerator - tap or no tap while settling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First keg in brand new kegerator - tap or no tap while settling?

Finished building my kegerator today - special thanks to the forum for all the tips. I didn't need to start any threads, just searched through and found what I need. In case anyone is interested, it is a Freezer conversion, double-tap for sankeys with the corny conversion so I can switch back to my homebrew.

Brought my keg home from Fremont Brewing and have it sitting in the kegerator to cool and settle as I resist the urge to immediately tap it and pour. My question is while it is settling, is it better to leave it untapped or tap it and let it sit so that it soaks up any CO2 while it settles. What do you guys do?

Cheers, and thanks for all the tips on the build.

Tap it, if it's foamy wait a bit longer if its not then enjoy the brew.
    No CRAP! on tap

Comment

Originally posted by Mirko_S View Post
      Tap it, if it's foamy wait a bit longer if its not then enjoy the brew.
      Sound advice - after dumping the first glass, the 2nd was a decent pour, and the 3rd was spot on.

Comment

I always tap mine right away. I usually end up dealing with foamy pours the first night if the keg is warmer then my kegerator. But I'll take that over no beer any time. The best way I have found to combat foamy pours when i tap right away is to pour 1/2 a glass or so which ends up being mostly foam, then set it aside, and pour another glass right away. Usually most of the foam comes out in your initial second or two of pouring. When you pour beer on top of foam, you just get more foam. So if you get that foam out of the way, you're going to get a much better pour.

Then when the first glass with foam settles out, I just pour it into my glass of beer. So I'm not dumping any beer.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Working...
        X