Danby DKC645 Cooling Plate issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danby DKC645 Cooling Plate issue

I have had my Danby since July. I have minimal issues with it and have done a couple mods. Lately, I have noticed it was having a lot of issues cooling. Then, it occured to me, my cooling plate was covered in ice. I didn't think this was a problem till I did some research. Apparently it is.

Anyways, I have gotten all of the ice off and now I am wondering how this issue could have occured. Is my Auto Defrost busted? I do have the temp sensor all the way at the top of the kegerator, and I am using a 100 K Ohm resistor.

Any suggestion on how I can avoid this from happening again ?!?!?
    Attached Files

My Danby never goes into defrost mode. My Danby cooling plate covered with ice once, when the door wasn't properly shut. I hadn't put the keg in all the way and the door looked shut, but just wasn't completely. Turn off the lights, stick a flashlight in the unit, and shut the door. If you see light coming out anywhere from the door, you have a bad seal.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Thanks Cubby. I will try this

So basically you are saying moisture is getting in someonehow? I did have two wires coming out of the door. One for the tower cooling fan and another for a computer fan I added (to circulate the air). Now the wire for the tower cooling fan is fed through my CO2 gas line house, although the (small) wire for the computer fan is still coming out of the door, should I change that?

Comment

I really don't know if it's a function of moisture getting in, or cold air getting out making the compressor run for longer, or both. But I would run that other power cord out the co2 line housing as well.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Opening the door frosts up my plate quickly so any air leak will do it too..Get it tight.

Comment

I installed a draw latch $10 at any hardware store, keeps the door pulled tight and can be locked to keep out those who want to "see" the keg

Comment

Working...
            X