Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a cheap (and poor) grad student

Hi all,

I have been looking into building (and more recently... purchasing) a kegerator. My girlfriend and I, along with everyone else in the world, prefer beer on tap.

I am having a very difficult time finding a refrigerator that can fit a half barrel, unless it is one of the smaller full-sized fridges. This is kind of overkill for me I think... plus the fridge alone is almost $400.

I am however looking at this kegerator: HaierĀ® Beer Dispensing Tap System - Stainless - Sam's Club

Does anyone here have any experience with this? $438 is going to be hard to beat... In the future if I wanted to I could probably replace the tower with a dual tap setup right? I would have to check the space ... but if it can take a half keg it might be able to take a couple of skinnys.

Other than that I don't see many options. I would like to try to keep it in the sub-500 dollar range... you know, unless I can find something that is truly exceptional. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Sam

I built my unit in college and I still use it today - did it on the cheap too. I lucked out and found a free fridge, I would recommend that you check out craigslist for small full size fridge. When I was looking I found quite a few under $100. Then the tapping equipment is $150 or so.

I can't really speak to the Haier unit - I will say that you get what you pay for. You will have to make some additional upgrades to it - tower cooler, possibly an internal circulation fan, possibly more. It's not expensive stuff to do - but if you are already struggling with the price of the Haier, you might be pretty upset when you have to drop some more into it. And since I can't see what the parts are that come with it, you might be getting inferior keg equipment that will end up causing problems. Not saying it's a bad buy, just understand the price is where it is because it's not a perfect product. Do a search for "Haier" on here and you will come across quite a few threads that will give you insight into how they perform.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I was considering craigslist but I don't have access to a truck, and the closest fridge was 2 hours away.

The Haier unit has a rather odd looking plate on the back (on the inside) that the cooling line crosses back and forth on. Is the circulation fan used to move the head to the cooling plate?

I think my other option is to get a chest freezer... assuming I can't find a cheap used fridge.

Thanks for the tips!

Comment

The plate in the back of the Haier is the cooling plate. I have what is essentially the same unit, although double tap. It will hold three one sixths, two slim quarters or one regular quarter or one regular half. Any of the sub $1,000 units will require a tower cooler and circulating fan which you can make on the cheap.
        What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

From some quick googling the tower cooler is usually one (or in your case two) piece of copper pipe that sticks into the fridge section a couple of inches? Hmmm my Dad is a plumber... should be pretty easy to come by. Hmmm, that may be my best bet.

Thanks for the tips

Comment

Also, a lot people that buy an already outfitted kegerator end up replacing the faucet, beer line and regulator that comes with an already put together kegerator.
            On tap now: Homebrewed Nut Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Altbier and Berry Blonde Ale.

My Kegerator with Photos

My Kegerator With Photos Update

Comment

There is usually only one cooler per tower, and most folks just use a piece of flex.
              What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

I think your best option is to exercise a bit of patience and search for a used kegerator or fridge/freezer to convert on Craig's List. Someone I know just bought a Danby for $250 and was looking for several weeks before finding one he pulled the trigger on.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

I feel like I held back some information....

I HAVE a chest freezer, but the interior dimensions are a little tight:
                  Compressor "shelf": 11.125" x 16.375" (18.635" deep)
                  Regular Section: 10.625" x 16.375" (28.75" deep)

So from what I can tell this is good for a single 1/6 which... make me think it isn't worth the trouble of creating a collar. I might be able to find a way to sneak a pony on the compressor shelf...

So this makes me wonder: Are most brews available in all keg sizes? Is one size more common than others?

My guess is that the half barrel is the easiest to find... so I would really like to fit one of those. I guess I will keep an eye on craigslist and wander around lowes, HD, and appliance stores looking for a good sized chest freezer on sale.

Thanks again,
                  Sam

Comment

I strongly recommend purchasing a small, full sized refrigerator/freezer. You can pick a used one up on the cheap. It will even pay if you have to rent a u-haul for 50 bucks. You can buy a door conversion kit and a co2 take here for $155.00. It is all you will need. The nice thing about this setup is you can keep frosted mugs and your vodka in the freezer. If you get one with an ice machine, you now have extra ice for parties. And there is plenty of room in the Fridge for bottled beer, soda, and any food overflow from your kitchen fridge.
                    I purchased a Frigidaire Beverage cooler, which is basically what I described above. But it was already done for me.
                    Enjoy, no matter which way you go.

Comment

i purchased a smaller full size fridge when i was in college 4 years ago. thing was awesome kept frozen mugs upto with hard liquer then i would put bottles of microbrews and whatever other people brought in the fridge. Thing cost 50 bucks and the system i got for like 100 that is your option. Or just keep looking on craigslist they always have kegerators for sale under 300.

Comment

Originally posted by swinchen View Post
                        So this makes me wonder: Are most brews available in all keg sizes? Is one size more common than others?

My guess is that the half barrel is the easiest to find... so I would really like to fit one of those.
                        As far as availability, it depends. Some beers are only available in 1/6 barrels (many craft options), some are available in 1/6 and 1/2, some are available in 1/2 and 1/4. Some are available only in 1/2 (or 50L) kegs. It depends on how the brewery packages their beers.

Not only that, but buying beer in 1/6 barrels is almost always WAY less cost effective as buying it in 1/2 barrels. Often you'll find that 1/6 barrels don't offer much savings over buying the same beer in 6 packs. 1/2 barrels, however, are usually very cost effective. So if you're looking to save some money, you're likely to want to stick with 1/2 barrels.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Working...
                        X