Moving Co2 Tank long distance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Co2 Tank long distance.

On Friday I will be moving 1000 miles away to a new residence - I have my kegerator ready for the journey - but I am curious about the Co2 Tank.

Right now I have the regulator disconnected, the tank in the off position and have it secured on it's side in a way that it can't roll around. Is there any problem with transporting a full tank for that distance? It's going to experience about 36 hours of bumps and rattles in the back of the rental truck.

I don't know for sure, but I think it should be secured upright. Just read elsewhere: If it's disconnected from regulator, you should be fine.
    Be safe in your travels!
    SEAN
    I cool my tower with Beer.
    http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

It doesn't matter what position the tank rests. Those tanks are designed for much higher pressures than co2 will produce in normal conditions. As long as you don't put it on the bar-b-que you'll not have a problem.

THE ICEMAN
      Last edited by THE ICEMAN; 02-14-2011, 05:05 PM.
      My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
      "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
      -Dave Barry-
      "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
      Strong beer is the milk of the old."
      -Martin Luther-

Comment

I respectfully disagree. All gas cylinders should be stored and transported upright and chained where possible.
        It's not just a case of the internal pressure. During transportation items can shift/move and a cylinder could be damaged / hit by other objects. The main area of concern is the neck connection/shut off valve. Most CO2 cylinders don't have protective collars arround the valve (Mine doesn't) which makes them even more susceptable to damage.

Comment

I agree with El Geordie. Upright and secured is the best practice. And while a co2 bottle doesn't have the pressure and volume of an argon or nitrogen tank, it still needs handled properly IMHO.
          Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
          but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Working...
          X