Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I have this nightmare.....(caption this picture)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I have this nightmare.....(caption this picture)

So I have this nightmare that while i am sleeping my cat will jump on the bar and hit one of my tap handles flooding my basement with 15 gallons of beer. So i got a lock for it
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Living_Legend; 02-08-2011, 12:10 PM.
    My Home Bar: Baier's Taphouse

Kegs to Date: (11)Yuengling (8)Coors Light (6)Bud Light (5)Blue Moon (4)Natural Light (3)Sam Adams Oktoberfest (2)Misfit Red (2)National Bohemian (1)Miller Lite (1)Fat Tire Amber Ale

Wow, crazy you mention this.
    No caption, but a quick horrifying story...

Over Christmas I took my family out to Florida to meet up with family and do Disney world. We are gone 10 days.
    Come home on a Monday night. First thing I do is check out the house, all good. Then check out the new patio(lots of rain when we were away and the drainage hadn't been tested to a good rain yet) all good. Thirdly I go check my Dual tap Keezer I keep on my back patio.
    To my horror, one tap in sitting in the pour position..."OH sh&!"
    1/4 keg completely empty, co2 tank completely empty, and I'm fearing I lost my second keg as who knows how long ago this happened and the co2 was emptied.
    To my pleasant surprise, the secong keg of expensive Lagunitas IPA is still carbonated and tasty though under barely any pressure pouring at near a trickle.

My conclusion is that one of my friggin cats must have somehow knocked my tap open and spilled all the beer when we were gone.
    My back yard is kept locked and pretty hard to get into.
    I ended up with about two inches of beer in the bottom of my 9 cu ft keezer.

So yes, it can happen.

Needless to say, next time I leave on an extended vacation, I will remove my tap handles...or better yet front for a pair of those fancy locks

Comment

I think I'd get the locks anyways if you are concerned with something accidentally opening your taps. This could happen over night or during the day when you don't notice. It's not like beer pouring makes a lot of noise and it probably takes 20 minutes or so to drain an entire 1/2 barrel.

Another option, probably cheaper, is an in-line beer shut off valve which prevents the beer from flowing through the line if the tap is opened accidentally.
      Last edited by cubby_swans; 02-08-2011, 12:54 PM.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Your right Chubby, but I likely will just unscrew my handles as I run P e r li cks and the locks are $$$$

Comment

I had a spell where a teenager was accidently opening my taps and pouring beer into glasses. These locks are good for many reasons.
          Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
          but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Originally posted by rtracer View Post
            Wow, crazy you mention this.
            No caption, but a quick horrifying story...

Over Christmas I took my family out to Florida to meet up with family and do Disney world. We are gone 10 days.
            Come home on a Monday night. First thing I do is check out the house, all good. Then check out the new patio(lots of rain when we were away and the drainage hadn't been tested to a good rain yet) all good. Thirdly I go check my Dual tap Keezer I keep on my back patio.
            To my horror, one tap in sitting in the pour position..."OH sh&!"
            1/4 keg completely empty, co2 tank completely empty, and I'm fearing I lost my second keg as who knows how long ago this happened and the co2 was emptied.
            To my pleasant surprise, the secong keg of expensive Lagunitas IPA is still carbonated and tasty though under barely any pressure pouring at near a trickle.

My conclusion is that one of my friggin cats must have somehow knocked my tap open and spilled all the beer when we were gone.
            My back yard is kept locked and pretty hard to get into.
            I ended up with about two inches of beer in the bottom of my 9 cu ft keezer.

So yes, it can happen.

Needless to say, next time I leave on an extended vacation, I will remove my tap handles...or better yet front for a pair of those fancy locks
            That is what i am scared of, the only plus in your situation was that it was outside and not in your house. Even though any beer lose is a bad thing, glad your good IPA survived the animals.

Originally posted by cubby_swans View Post
            I think I'd get the locks anyways if you are concerned with something accidentally opening your taps. This could happen over night or during the day when you don't notice. It's not like beer pouring makes a lot of noise and it probably takes 20 minutes or so to drain an entire 1/2 barrel.

Another option, probably cheaper, is an in-line beer shut off valve which prevents the beer from flowing through the line if the tap is opened accidentally.
            the lock was $$$$ but i am glad i have it now. Plus this is good for when i have parties and i want to keep my good beer on the lockdown

Originally posted by psychodad View Post
            I had a spell where a teenager was accidently opening my taps and pouring beer into glasses. These locks are good for many reasons.
            haha, i dont have kids yet but this is a good reason. . . . when i was a teenager i had a lock picking kit, i had problems

Kegs to Date: (11)Yuengling (8)Coors Light (6)Bud Light (5)Blue Moon (4)Natural Light (3)Sam Adams Oktoberfest (2)Misfit Red (2)National Bohemian (1)Miller Lite (1)Fat Tire Amber Ale

Comment

I had a cat who crapped on my pillow once when I was gone too long for his liking. They know how to push our buttons...

So, in the photo, your cat seems to be saying "Fine! You lock the tap, I'll lick all the salt off your beer nuts!"
              "There is no such thing as a beer!" - Herm Simpson
              Interpretation: Either you cannot drink just one, or beer is unitless, like water.

Comment

I have lived through this nightmare myself. Go out to eat dinner and get home....walk to garage to get a sweetwater 420 and see the tap handle in the pour postion. About 4 or so gallons on garage floor from the cats. All I did was remove the tap handles, no problems since.

Comment

Love the pic, with the "perp" in the background. I have four cats, with no problems for four years. Now I'm concerned.
                  SEAN
                  I cool my tower with Beer.
                  http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

Originally posted by mexicanconnection2002 View Post
                    I have lived through this nightmare myself. Go out to eat dinner and get home....walk to garage to get a sweetwater 420 and see the tap handle in the pour postion. About 4 or so gallons on garage floor from the cats. All I did was remove the tap handles, no problems since.
                    i like sweetwater 420, i dont have it around here but got some when i was in s.caralina. so there is proof this does happen and not only my crazy thoughts

Originally posted by bonefish View Post
                    Love the pic, with the "perp" in the background. I have four cats, with no problems for four years. Now I'm concerned.
                    SEAN
                    you are probably safe, or are you . . . hahahahha

Comment

Originally posted by Bruceski View Post
                      I had a cat who crapped on my pillow once when I was gone too long for his liking. They know how to push our buttons...

So, in the photo, your cat seems to be saying "Fine! You lock the tap, I'll lick all the salt off your beer nuts!"
                      You hit the nail on the head with that one sir!!! Cats are creepy masterminds that will get you back in ways you didnt think were on purpose!!

BAD KITTY!!

Beach
                      I had a thought once... but it got lonely and went away.

Comment

One night, shortly before bed, I decided to pour myself a pint. When I pulled the tap handle, I discovered that my beer line was frozen. No biggie. I just turned off the PC fan I have installed and went back to getting ready for bed. Well, I ended up forgetting all about having that bed time beer and just went to sleep. Shortly after dozing off, I was awaked by a strange sound coming from the dining room right outside my door. I stepped out to find that the line thawed out and I had apparently forgotten to push the tap back into the closed position. I had about 10 gallons on my hardward floor. I've never been more angry at myself.

Comment

Remember to push the faucet back before hooking it back up to the shank after you get done cleaning. I've shot beer across the room doing that before.

Comment

Originally posted by juicedsixfo View Post
                            Remember to push the faucet back before hooking it back up to the shank after you get done cleaning. I've shot beer across the room doing that before.
                            when i am cleaning i do this all the time, but i am shooting water and solution at myself, turn the CO2 off quickly and curse

Comment

that is a nightmare for sure!!!!!!!!!!! did it ruin the floors?

Originally posted by blewis1984 View Post
                              One night, shortly before bed, I decided to pour myself a pint. When I pulled the tap handle, I discovered that my beer line was frozen. No biggie. I just turned off the PC fan I have installed and went back to getting ready for bed. Well, I ended up forgetting all about having that bed time beer and just went to sleep. Shortly after dozing off, I was awaked by a strange sound coming from the dining room right outside my door. I stepped out to find that the line thawed out and I had apparently forgotten to push the tap back into the closed position. I had about 10 gallons on my hardward floor. I've never been more angry at myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X