Costs: current air cooled or switch to glycol system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costs: current air cooled or switch to glycol system

Aside from the upfront costs of the glycol system...

My current setup is a HABCO ESM28 glass door merchandiser (5 yrs old), tons of space, great cooler, and my first sip is cold without the need for a blower fan. Twin tap/dispenser (looking to increase to 3-4), dual pressure regulators, insulated tower. I am hard piped 10' give-or-take , 2" PVC with 1 long 90deg bend into the tower, insulated and wrapped and foamed into the side of the refrigerator. I had to move my tower to another location due to the length restriction of this type of system. My original placement I wanted would have been about 25' away from the refrigerator. Add to that the 1 long 90deg, and perhaps another one to get to the other side of my bar.

My biggest problem is the power consumed by the commercial fridge. I work for an energy monitoring company, and it's around $65-70/mo. to operate it. The fan is continuous (great for the cold first beer) at 150W, and the compressor kicks in to the tune of 750W. Netting out a whopping $850 per year for cold, delicious, sweet nectar.

Is there a better way to get the air cooled system to work at a distance of 25' with other piping? Flex or something?

Do I invest in a newer bar back fridge and drill the top and pipe to a different location?

Or is the solution a glycol system where and I can use a more efficient refrigerator/freezer and run lines? I know the upfront costs will be greater, but I love beer - and I'd rather make an investment in beer and a better dispensing system then to fork over money to the power company.

Is running a fridge and a glycol system going to be the same amount?

Ultimate goal... Have a system, "decent" on power, delivers cold, refreshing beer - up to four taps, gas mixer, can be cleaned effectively... and always full!

I do not need to have the device in plain sight and can put it 25' away in another room which may equal out to about 100' running length for tubing.

Looking for some feedback for the home dispensing experts out there!

Thanks in advance.
Working...
X