Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to bring it indoors due to temperature changes ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to bring it indoors due to temperature changes ?

I purchased the BeverageAir BM23-S-31 ... this is the OUTDOOR RATED version of the BM23. When I received the unit it had some paperwork but nothing that had information on environment/temperature extremes and what to do/not do or the recommended tolerances for the unit.

I think the outdoor rating for this unit relates to 3 things 1) it us UL rated as outdoor because it has a GFCI and 2) it is better unsulated than a normal unit 3) the mecahnical/electical components are sealed into the unit and not exposed

My question is...

what temp is too cold for this unit (or any kegerator or refridge unit) unit to be left outside ?

Winters aren't super harsh here (Nashville) but I'm assuming that even a outdoor rated BevAir needs to be brought inside (or at least into the garage). I'm guessing cold temps might cause issues with the normal functioning of the units electrical/mechanical parts.

Either way, its being moved in from outdoors, but I would like to understand if there are any rules of thumb that you guys know of or follow for units being outside.

Thanks !!

Usually when it starts to get below about 35° to 40° or so it can start to be a problem. One of the dangers of cold weather is when the unit cycles off. What can happen is the cold can cause liquid refrigerant to migrate back to the compressor & cause valve damage when the compressor tries to start back up.
    What you can do if you wish is head off to Home Depot or a hardware store & pick up a short electric water pipe heater, the type used to keep water pipes from freezing. Get the one with a little thermostat on it. You can then use the heat tape to wrap around the base of the compressor to act as a crankcase heater to keep the refrigerant from pooling in the compressor. Or you could just put it in the nice warm garage like you said.

THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
    X