Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are There Coolant Lines in Freezer Door?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are There Coolant Lines in Freezer Door?

I currently have an existing upright freezer dual-tap kegorator (keezer, whatever.) I read on these forums that some freezers have coolant lines in the doors. I'd like to just buy a full-size upright freezer and drill through the door, but I'm afraid of hitting coolant lines and being out all that money. Does anyone know if there is a way to tell whether or not the door has coolant lines?

No upright fridge or freezer door (that I know of) should have coolant lines running through it. If it operates on hinges I can't imagine any way that coolant lines could route through the hinges and into the door. The one way to be certain would be to simply remove the freezer door from the fridge itself and see if any lines run into it.

You could also drill a small pilot hole on the inside of the freezer door, through the plastic interior, and then use some sort of wire to feel around inside for anything other than insulation. Once again, strongly doubt you will find any lines in there. In the sides, back and top of the unit you would surely find some, but I can't imagine any in the door.

If it were my unit I would drill right in without any hesitation, but due to the fact that my knowledge of the internal workings of all the freezers in the world is next to nothing, I don't feel comfortable telling you to do the same without a little detective work.

But as I say, if you can remove a couple screws and remove the door from the unit, you can be sure that no coolant lines are present.

Comment

Never heard of that. Some side-by-side refrigerators may have water lines (for cold water dispensing) but that's all I am aware of. Simple way to tell though........open the door and see if anything (lines, wires, conduit, etc.) is bridging the gap from the freezer body to the door. (In the case of water dispensers on refrigerators, the water line is usually at one of the door hinges).
      "One more night like this will put me six feet under"
      Gram Parsons

Comment

There is about zero chance that there are any refrigerant lines in the door. There is no advantage in doing so. The sides of the unit sometimes on chest freezers & some commercial type upright freezers have the condenser lines in them to dissipate heat. You can feel the sides of the unit while it is running to see if they get warm. The only thing there might be is a door heater & that would just be at the edge to keep frost buildup away & you would be able to see a cord in the hinge side gap.

THE ICEMAN
        My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
        "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
        -Dave Barry-
        "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
        Strong beer is the milk of the old."
        -Martin Luther-

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. These forums are unbelievable. You guys are awesome!

Comment

Drill baby drill!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X