No announcement yet.

How many of you have a extra co2 tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you have a extra co2 tank?

I am thinking of purchasing a spare co2 tank just in case I run out at an inopportune time. From what I understand, the gauges hold steady for a long time and then take a sudden nosedive. My last two tanks I got filled long before they needed to be filled just to be on the safe side.

How many of you keep a spare tank handy? I can get a 5 lb tank here for about 60 bucks delivered. I am thinking just running out once on a Sunday afternoon will make the cost worthwhile.
    Last edited by jhon; 07-06-2010, 07:48 PM.

I have a spare, well had a spare, now have 2 units and working on a 3rd tank.
    On Tap: Corny of a Hombrewed American Pale Ale, Corny of Homebrewed Cherry Wheat and Remain of a Miller Lite half tranfered into a Corny! Now an official Homebrewer.

Dead: (7) 1/2's of Miller Lite, (1) 1/2 of Blue Moon (6) 1/6's of Blue Moon, (4) 1/6's of Shocktop (2) 1/6's of Landshark Lager (1) 1/4 Yuengling, (1) 1/6 Victory Summer Love (1) 1/6 of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale (1) 1/6 Shipyard Prelude.

Comment

Essential accessory. Not unlike the spare tire in your car.
      "One more night like this will put me six feet under"
      Gram Parsons

Comment

I've never had a problem running out of co2. When my primary gauge goes into the red, I know I have a few days to get it exchanged or refilled. Were I going to throw a half barrel on and have a big party and I was close to red I may think about exchanging early. But for the most part I don't worry.
        Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
        but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

I considered getting a second tank until I found a local place to refill while I wait.

Comment

I keep an extra tank ready for such disasters.

Comment

Originally posted by psychodad View Post
              I've never had a problem running out of co2. When my primary gauge goes into the red, I know I have a few days to get it exchanged or refilled. Were I going to throw a half barrel on and have a big party and I was close to red I may think about exchanging early. But for the most part I don't worry.
              This is what I do. Unless you're having a party, you're not going to suddenly run out of co2. When my guage starts to drop, I generally have at least a week until I actually run out.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Having been to a party where a cylinder ran out, I consider it to be a necessity. I don't have a High Pressure gauge on my main system plus the tank is stored inside. I really don't open the kegerator except to switch kegs or clean the lines. When a keg runs out I generally have two on tap so I still have beer... same with the CO2. If you entertain, I would call it an necessity.
                On Tap: Corny of a Hombrewed American Pale Ale, Corny of Homebrewed Cherry Wheat and Remain of a Miller Lite half tranfered into a Corny! Now an official Homebrewer.

Dead: (7) 1/2's of Miller Lite, (1) 1/2 of Blue Moon (6) 1/6's of Blue Moon, (4) 1/6's of Shocktop (2) 1/6's of Landshark Lager (1) 1/4 Yuengling, (1) 1/6 Victory Summer Love (1) 1/6 of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale (1) 1/6 Shipyard Prelude.

Comment

I have 2 spares and high pressure gauges. I travel with a jockey box and keg blanket to outdoor events often and always bring a spare along. I worry more about leaks and other mishaps more than running out during the actual pouring of the beer. I have run out at home (I am cheap and use all that I can), but no worries with the spares!!

Comment

My primary is a 10 pounder & my back-up is a 5 pounder. When one dies I just plug in the other & then I have plenty of time to get the spare filled.

THE ICEMAN
                    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
                    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
                    -Dave Barry-
                    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
                    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
                    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Only on third keg since I built my wonderful machine of beer. I will let you know when the time comes.
                      "I drink to make other people interesting."

Comment

I have two 20 lb tanks and a 15. About to go drop one off at the brewery to get filled and have a few free beers on the tour.

Its convenient to be able to just leave the tank when I get a keg and pick it up the next time I get a keg.

Comment

I have a spare 5lb that is always full. Never had an issues or worry. The peace of mind is worth it.... (IMHO)
                          "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
                          Sinatra

Comment

I am over-loaded on spares...

My primary is a 15lb tank...
                            My back-up is a 10lb tank... (still filled with beer-gas that I have not used in 9 months)
                            I have a 12 gram CO-2 charger that I take with me when I travel with my 3 gallon corny...
                            And if all else fails, I have a hand-pump (I use this for cleaning so I don't waste CO2)
                            On tap:
                            1/2 bbl of Lienenkugel's Original

Gone, but not forgotten: (Sadly, Walter Payton's is gone)
                            Sixtel of Sam Adams OctoberFest
                            Sixtel of Walter Payton's Peat Smoked Scotch Ale
                            Corny of Payton's Dancing Bear Honey Wheat
                            Corny of Walter Payton's Aurora Amber Ale (both a malty and extra hoppy version)
                            Corny (3 gal) of Coconut Rum and Cola
                            Corny of Walter Payton's Beauregard's Blueberry Ale
                            Corny of Walter Payton's Sweetness Stout on Nitro
                            Corny of Rock Bottom's Belgian White Ale

Comment

My Nostalgia unit came with a lame 2.5lb CO2 tank. When I discovered how hard those are to get swapped out, I quickly got on Craigslist and found myself a 5lb bottle for 25.00-30.00, delivered. Now I have a spare. I keep the 5lb in use and have the 2.5lb full as a backup.
                              On tap: 1/2 of Coors Light

In the dust:
                              3X - 1/2 of Miller Lite
                              3X - 1/2 of Coors Light
                              1X - 1/4 of Shiner Ruby Redbird
                              1X - 1/2 of Dos XX Lager

Comment

Working...
                              X