last question on Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• last question on Fans

Ok I understand most people convert a computer fan to either cool the tower or circulate the air inside the unit. But has anyone tried a simple 4 inch desk fan from a office supply store to do circulate the air inside the unit? This way you simply buy it and plug it in?

Boston® 4" Personal Fan | Staples®
    Currently Serving Molson Canadian

gkeg,

I think there was a post somewhere in which people were saying that with the Desk fans, they actually move too much air and they get hot themselves. This would be an issue as they are moving around more warm air than cold air. If you try it or anyone else has for that matter let me know how it works.

I have mine setup with a computer fan and a computer blower fan which will eventually be used for the tower cooler, I just need to make the hole at the top of my kegerator bigger first!

Only issue I am having now is that my DC/AC converter for the computer fans just died on me. I sent it back to the company as it was only 3 months old for replacement. Shipping cost me half of what I paid for it when purchased from Newegg!!! Beer is too warm right now in the 40s at the top of the unit to pour correctly until I get the fans back up and running.

For this I was thinking about just putting a small desk fan in for the meantime....

Comment

I used one for quite some time with no problems. However it is not the best idea as a kegerator environment can be quite wet. It would be much better to use a DC conversion like so many have done IMHO.
      Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
      but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

I agree go with CPU fans more cost effective a safer
        http://www.mybeerkegerator.com/

Comment

Ok I'm going with the computer fan, I'm going to splice it into a cell phone charger. Its got 100-240V ac input and a output of 5vd.c for the power supply.

What type of computer fan should I buy? Do I just cut the wires on the blackberry and splice them to the fan, add some electrical caps and throw some Electrical tape on it?
          Last edited by gkeg; 06-23-2010, 12:43 PM.
          Currently Serving Molson Canadian

Comment

gkeg,
            I was going to duplicate the thoughts of the members that answered your other thread or wait for you to read what has been posted in the forum before but it needs to be said again:

You don’t need to create a weather system in your Summit, adding a fan in the proper place could solve your ice problems but there are simpler and easier ways.
            The “auto defrost” in these units is the off time when the compressor isn’t running, if the thermostat is set high, the ice will slowly build and ice over plate and even the sensor, once sensor is iced, the unit may run the compressor longer with even longer off times. You could turn thermostat down if set too high, if you want to leave the thermostat as is, then ice can be solved with an addition of a timer to turn off the unit for 1-2 hours every morning. Moisture in the unit can also cause ice on the plate, not opening the door often and a desiccant (baking soda) can solve that.
            An appliance timer with 96 on / off times, can be bought at Wal-Mart for under $10, less headache and price of adding another fan. Your tower cooler should create sufficient air circulation (just enlarge hole as Cubby said), higher circulation will not cure ice, a fan blowing across the cold plate might but since the cold plate is curved on the Summit, it may not take care of all the ice build-up. If you do insist on adding a fan, soldering line is preferable with use of shrink-wrap, but wire nuts are fine if you wrap it with electrical tape, splice and make sure it works before adding wire nuts. If you do go route of desktop fan, ones with AC adapter is preferred (instead of DC models), runs cooler and less chance of 110 volt electrical problems.
            KB

Comment

I have 2 four inch personal fans circulating air + a DC fan cooling the tower.
              Runs fine.
              If the fan shorts out, I'll buy another for $5.00

I do have a 1986 kenmore kegerator, which has plenty of surplus cooling, so didn't notice any 'heat' generated by the fan.
              All the air movement stopped all freezing on the cooling plate entirely. It decreased the fluctuation in temperature inside the kegerator down to 2 degrees. used to fluctuate nearly 10.
              Fans have been running since First of April so far.
              Alan in PA

Comment

Originally posted by aspinallar View Post
                If the fan shorts out, I'll buy another for $5.00
                Most of the concerns are not with the fan shorting out and failing. The concerns are with a 120 vac circuit inside a damp box with a possibly sweaty, stainless steel container that contains something that has been reported to impair judgment.

I'm just sayin'...
                Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
                but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

I figure ill piggy back on this thread... im trying to decide which of these fans to use for my tower cooler...

Meritline.com Search Results for:fan > Category:PC Cooler

any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                  X