Keg/CO2 Newb questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keg/CO2 Newb questions

Ok guys...need some guidance here. My wife surprised me with a kegerator a couple weeks ago for my birthday. Can't beat that, right? She is not like me...(researching the product etc...) so I ended up with a Nostalgia Electrics model. Its probably a bastard unti compared to what is here so be gentle on me. So far, I am semi satisfied despite all things. Very poor instructions, and the instructions dont actually match the equipment that came with the kegerator either. I would have probably picked something different, but I am certainly VERY thankful of her and the gift as a whole.

1. I am trying to learn to properly regulate the CO2. This model keeps the CO2 tank inside the cooler like many others. My question is that knowing I need to be at 12-14lbs of line pressure, do I set it at the regulator BEFORE I put it in the cooler while the gas is at room temperature? Do I set it to approx line level AFTER it is chilled or ?

2. It came with a 2.5lb bottle (I already bought a second 5lb)...and since I am probably ONLY 1/4 through our first keg, its already emptied that 2.5lb bottle. I am sure I must have a leak somewhere. I noticed that the regulator wasnt as tight as it should be when I took it off the bottle, so I am hoping that may be the problem...we will see on the next tank how things go. At any rate, I seem to be having a hard time with the gas pressure...always having to tweak on the regulator to get it right. I am guessing the cheap regulator it came with may be the problem and I recognize I may need to get something else/better. What do you guys use?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    On tap: 1/2 of Coors Light

In the dust:
    3X - 1/2 of Miller Lite
    3X - 1/2 of Coors Light
    1X - 1/4 of Shiner Ruby Redbird
    1X - 1/2 of Dos XX Lager

Setting your co2 pressure at room temperature or when it's cold really isn't going to make a difference.

If your regulator needs to be tweaked AT ALL, that's a problem. I would get a new one.

2 1/2 lbs of co2 should last you at least 4 1/2 barrels. You have a leak somewhere. Conduct a leak test to find it.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

What would you suggest in the way of a dual gauge regulator?

In the dust:
      3X - 1/2 of Miller Lite
      3X - 1/2 of Coors Light
      1X - 1/2 of Dos XX Lager

Comment

I'd get the premium dual gauge regulator from micromatic. and be done with it. It is a little more than some other regulators, but it is worth it IMHO.
        Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
        but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

If you set the regulator too high you are force carbonating (overcarbonating?) the keg, which would use more CO2 than if it was simply dispensing.

Comment

Originally posted by rickk1000 View Post
            If you set the regulator too high you are force carbonating (overcarbonating?) the keg, which would use more CO2 than if it was simply dispensing.
            I believe this is (was?) the problem. When I was tinkering with the regulator, I could actually hear CO2 going into the keg. I put a new bottle on it this week and have it set at 12lbs. It seems to be holding well there AND my CO2 isnt gone!

In the dust:
            3X - 1/2 of Miller Lite
            3X - 1/2 of Coors Light
            1X - 1/2 of Dos XX Lager

Comment

Force carbing the beer an extra lb or two wouldn't use a 2 1/2 lb bottle of co2 to the point you only made it through 1/2 of a keg. I force carb my home brew. Yes it uses more co2, but not the the extent the OP described in his initial post. You likely had a slow leak, initially. Hopefully the loose regulator you mentioned was the culprit, and it's been resolved.

Your tank pressure guage is not a volume indicator. That guage only starts to drop when you've completely exhausted all the liquid co2 in your tank and it is near empty. If you have a slow leak, it could take days to leak out. Keep an eye on your guage to make sure you don't still have a leak. As noted earlier, hopefully it's been fixed.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

When I figured out that the proper CO2 pressure for most domestic beers was 12-14lbs, I of course turned it down. I was "force carbing" the beer at 20lbs or more at that time and a week had gone by of me doing it that way.

In the dust:
                3X - 1/2 of Miller Lite
                3X - 1/2 of Coors Light
                1X - 1/2 of Dos XX Lager

Comment

that still wouldn't have used a 2 1/2 lb tank of co2.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Working...
                  X