Can You Return Keg Anywhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can You Return Keg Anywhere?

I live in NJ just bought a used Summit and the guy gave me the empty keg that was in there. He told me I could just take it anywhere and not have to pay the deposit. I called several liquor stores in my area with no luck. Does anyone from the South Jersey area know of a place I can do this? I am in the Berlin area.

Also where is a good cheap place to buy kegs and get my co2 filled at in South Jersey?

Thanks for the help and cheers!

Take it to Joe Canal's and right up to a register, order a new keg and your deposit is covered.

As far as CO2... I get it done at a Welding Supply place. They fill while I wait and it's $11.00.
    Last edited by bkl63; 03-10-2010, 05:50 PM.
    On Tap: Corny of a Hombrewed American Pale Ale, Corny of Homebrewed Cherry Wheat and Remain of a Miller Lite half tranfered into a Corny! Now an official Homebrewer.

Dead: (7) 1/2's of Miller Lite, (1) 1/2 of Blue Moon (6) 1/6's of Blue Moon, (4) 1/6's of Shocktop (2) 1/6's of Landshark Lager (1) 1/4 Yuengling, (1) 1/6 Victory Summer Love (1) 1/6 of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale (1) 1/6 Shipyard Prelude.

Comment

I don't know about the laws in NJ, but many places the keg can only be returned to the original seller. For instance where I live, there is a tag that is put on the keg that says I bought it and from where. If you know the brand, try to contact a distributer in your area. And despite ownership and moral issues, there are some people who have made good faith efforts to return kegs but have been unable to do so.

There are other people who will take these off of your hands if you can't find a rightful owner wishing to take it back.
      Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
      but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Which Joe Canals?

Which Joe Canals? There is a Canals right up the street from me and I called them, but they said no.

Which Welding supply place do you use? I found one that will do it for $10.50 but since it does not have the service test tag on it I think they will have to send it out which will cost $35 or so.

Originally posted by bkl63 View Post
        Take it to Joe Canal's and right up to a register, order a new keg and your deposit is covered.

As far as CO2... I get it done at a Welding Supply place. They fill while I wait and it's $11.00.

Comment

What brand of keg?
          In PA if it's a Macrobrew Bud, Coors, Molson, etc, anywhere you can buy a keg would likely take it back.
          They can't figure out where you got it in the first place most likely. All Bud kegs look the same etc.

If it's a specialized keg from a microbrewery, you can always take it and recycle. Aluminum prices aren't bad.
          Alan in PA

Comment

You don't call them, when you go to pick up a new keg, you take the old one and exchange it. I just did at one last week at Joe Canals in West Deptford. I have bought kegs from many different stores, never had an issue and most of the time I don't return the keg to the same place where I have bought it. have bought Kegs in NJ, DE, MD, none of these states have Keg registration. I have never had to do anything beyond pay 30.00 as a deposit and when I replace my keg they always take it no questions asked at every place I have ever gone. Your mistake is telling them your story, but I can tell you that no place has ever said no on a keg exchange to me or any of my group of friends who all have kegerators.

I'm further south in NJ, and go to D&E Welding in Delaware. But any welding supply place will usually be able to fill it... just pull out the yellow pages and find one close to you.
            On Tap: Corny of a Hombrewed American Pale Ale, Corny of Homebrewed Cherry Wheat and Remain of a Miller Lite half tranfered into a Corny! Now an official Homebrewer.

Dead: (7) 1/2's of Miller Lite, (1) 1/2 of Blue Moon (6) 1/6's of Blue Moon, (4) 1/6's of Shocktop (2) 1/6's of Landshark Lager (1) 1/4 Yuengling, (1) 1/6 Victory Summer Love (1) 1/6 of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale (1) 1/6 Shipyard Prelude.

Comment

Around here all you need to do is return the empty to a store that uses a distributor who carries that specific brand. Say...distributor "A" carries Miller, Yuengling, Sam Adams, and Sierra Nevada.
              You return your empty keg ($30 deposit) from Miller; that covers the deposit on your next keg, be it another Miller or any other brand that distributor carries (see above). Works well for me.
              "One more night like this will put me six feet under"
              Gram Parsons

Comment

I use Progas Supply on Rt. 30 in Berlin. My last refill was $15. The $35 hydrotest is a lot cheaper than a new cylinder and you will be good to go for 5 years of home draft enjoyment. They will also lend you a tank while yours is out being tested. Good Luck.

Which Welding supply place do you use? I found one that will do it for $10.50 but since it does not have the service test tag on it I think they will have to send it out which will cost $35 or so.
                Woke up this morning, got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
                Jim Morrison

Comment

Thanks for all the help. Yeah the ProGas Place on Rt 30 in Berlin was one of the places that I called I think they told me they do not fill them....maybe they exchange them?

I might just go to the Paintball place in the Berlin Mart as they told me they would do it for $10-11 not sure if they do the hydrotest though.

Is the ProGas place across from Luciens?

I will do that with the Keg just bring it in and see what they say...if the answer is no I will just walk out and buy the beer elsewhere!

Comment

just order a keg anyplace and drop that one off when you pick up your new one. They will detuct the $30 or $40.
                    BM23 (I love it, $$$ well spent)

Comment

Progas is across from the cemetary in Berlin, near Luciens but not right across from it. He'll fill your CO2, I've gotten it there myself. Most places will swap the keg for you so long as its marked properly etc... and is from a distributor they deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by 81david View Post

I will do that with the Keg just bring it in and see what they say...if the answer is no I will just walk out and buy the beer elsewhere!
                        ...and don't tell them your story. Just drop the old one down and buy another keg...they won't ask any questions so don't offer any explanations....

Comment

"...and don't tell them your story. Just drop the old one down and buy another keg...they won't ask any questions so don't offer any explanations...."

What he said. I almost got into a world of confusion saying a bit too much trying to pick up a keg in Atlanta...talk about weird procedures? I think there may be more paperwork involved with buying a keg in Georgia than there is applying for a driver's license.
                          "One more night like this will put me six feet under"
                          Gram Parsons

Comment

I live up north a little bit in Middletown, NJ and have actually had a hard time returning kegs to a different place. Three places turned me down once because I didn't have the original receipt. I few years back I lived near you in Glassboro when I went to Rowan and Monster Beverage and Landmark liquor store never had a problem taking someone else's kegs so you could always try them too.

Comment

Thanks guys you have been a lot of help. The keg is a Bud Light Keg that was bought at a liquor store right outside of AC but the guy could not remember the name. I think it might be the distributor down there. I am hopefully going to go up to Canals in Berlin this weekend to buy a keg so I will take the advice and just bring the old one in.

I will also give Pro-Gas a try if they are open when I get off work tomorrow at 1.

Just got in my new beer and Co2 lines with stainless fittings. Just need to give everything a good cleaning and then we are up and running.

Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X