Filling growlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling growlers

Heading to a buddy's house next weekend for a beer tasting and thought I might take a couple growlers from the kegerator for us to drink as well. I've got plenty of extra growlers from beer trades and trips to Russian River, but was wonder if there is a "right" way to filling them.

I assume tilt the growler like a pint glass to minimize foam, but do you fill all the way to the top so there is no room for air? Or just fill it to the level of a normal bottle of beer? I am only taking it about a mile, so carbonation shouldn't be a huge issue, but wondered if there is any other tips...

Thanks!

Most brewpubs place 1/2" vinyl tube over the spout and bottom fill the growler. It should be long enough to be just above the bottom. Allow the foam to purge from the opening to displace any oxygen.
    Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Zuhse View Post
      Most brewpubs place 1/2" vinyl tube over the spout and bottom fill the growler. It should be long enough to be just above the bottom. Allow the foam to purge from the opening to displace any oxygen.
      Just any vinyl tubing I can get at a hardware store? Will that work?

Comment

I use growlers all the time, for home and outings. Beer stays fresh for several days. Fill 'em and go.
        SEAN
        I cool my tower with Beer.
        http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

Originally posted by cpferris View Post
          Just any vinyl tubing I can get at a hardware store? Will that work?
          Preferably a FDA approved vinyl tube from a local hardware store. It will be a relatively short section. Not much of an opportunity for off taste. Soak it in beer for a day or so. Possibly this will pickle the vinyl.
          Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Can't wait to try this. I get good results, filling growlers and don't waist any beer. The first pour of the day can produce significant head, I'll let you know when it's beer:30.
            SEAN
            I cool my tower with Beer.
            http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

Fill growler. Avoid too much foaming. Be sure 2 cap on foam, using a Fizz Giz growler cap. [DO NOT] Hit it with 20-30PSI from your [EXTERNAL LINK REMOVED]. [THIS WILL CAUSE YOUR GROWLER TO EXPLODE]. That'll collapse the foam in the headspace, replacing co2 lost during filling. It's not an exact science. If I over-carb a growler, it's very forgiving.
              Last edited by BrewGuru; 08-17-2010, 09:56 PM. Reason: Saves Lives

Comment

Originally posted by MikeSpike View Post
                Fill growler. Avoid too much foaming. Be sure 2 cap on foam, using a Fizz Giz growler cap. [DO NOT] Hit it with 20-30PSI from your [EXTERNAL LINK REMOVED]. [THIS WILL CAUSE YOUR GROWLER TO EXPLODE]. That'll collapse the foam in the headspace, replacing co2 lost during filling. It's not an exact science. If I over-carb a growler, it's very forgiving.
                Mike, just curious, why do you need to do this? Does this just allow the growler to last longer before it is opened? If you plan to drink in a day or so, wouldn't this be overkill. Plus, you'd have to recarb after each time you open correct?
                Last edited by BrewGuru; 08-17-2010, 10:00 PM. Reason: Link Removed, Saves Eyes

Comment

This guy is just trying to sell a product meant to allow you to reuse 2 liter PET soda bottles to carbonate beverages.

That said, in case anyone did not read above - DO NOT PRESSURIZE GLASS GROWLERS, very few of them are designed to hold any pressure and the standard clear and amber ones will EASILY EXPLODE under too much pressure, I have personally seen them blow on a counter pressure growler filler machine that was applying 15 PSI.

Growler explosions are no fun, and 20-30 PSI is WAY more than the glass is designed to handle and WILL CAUSE EXPLOSIONS.

Comment

well put !
                    Happy Tappy Draft Beer Services
                    Serving Mid-Michigan and beyond

Comment

I can never fill a growler properly, I have even tried vinyl tubing to the bottom with ill affects.

I always fill somewhere around 1/3 of the growler with foam on the first pour, having to let it rest for a while before it subsides and I can add more. I treat it just as I do a pint. Pour off the initial foam from warm faucets, tilt the growler as I would a glass, but foam seems inevitable. I have even tried acclimating my growlers by leaving them in the fridge for a while before filling them.

Anyone that could walk me through how they fill growlers might help me realize what I am doing wrong.

Comment

I fill growlers all the time.What i do is turn the pressure down to about 2-3 psi bleed off the pressure in the keg and the beer fills the growler with minimal foaming,and I fill till the foam starts to come out the top.Works for me.I tried the plastic hose,was more trouble and did not work as well as just turning the pressure down.
                        Last edited by I-Hop; 08-21-2010, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Has anyone tried to modify the Home Draft Kegs from like Coors Light, Miller Light or even a Hinekin Keg Can and refill those? PLease advise.

Comment

I have not seen it in person yet, but the new Coors Light one that they are advertising on TV comes with CO2 to allow it to last longer. I believe you are talking about those 5L kegs that can easily fit in your fridge and give you the draft beer experience. It would be a great idea to figure out how to fill these instead of growlers.

Comment

There are many videos on YouTube where people are doing this. Do a quick search and you will find many.

Originally posted by BIRDMAN View Post
                              Has anyone tried to modify the Home Draft Kegs from like Coors Light, Miller Light or even a Hinekin Keg Can and refill those? PLease advise.
                              On Tap: Corny of a Hombrewed American Pale Ale, Corny of Homebrewed Cherry Wheat and Remain of a Miller Lite half tranfered into a Corny! Now an official Homebrewer.

Dead: (7) 1/2's of Miller Lite, (1) 1/2 of Blue Moon (6) 1/6's of Blue Moon, (4) 1/6's of Shocktop (2) 1/6's of Landshark Lager (1) 1/4 Yuengling, (1) 1/6 Victory Summer Love (1) 1/6 of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale (1) 1/6 Shipyard Prelude.

Comment

Working...
                              X