This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danby Kegerator Improvements Part II

As the other Danby thread has gotten quite long and much of the information has been buried, I thought it time to condense some of the information into a new thread.

When I first decided to modify my Danby to use an external control I did so because I wanted control. I have worked for twenty five years for the same company and the owner of the company has always stressed that we need to control our processes, not let them control us. It is this thinking that makes me believe that if I control my beer temperature with my temperature control setting I can then set my regulator at the proper pressure to maintain carbonation during dispense. I feel if you know what the carbonation level of your beer should be and you know what the temperature of it is, you can set your regulator to maintain that carbonation level.

In short, find out what volume of co2 your beer should be. Determine the beer temperature and set your regulator to maintain the desired volume of co2. Don't keep fiddling with your regulator to control dispense speed. Take control of your home beer dispense system.

Because I home brew, I can't call the brewery or distributer to know what the particular style of beer I'm serving should be. So I use this site to control that: TastyBrew.com | Homebrewing Calculators | Kegging Carbonation Calculator

I can easily tell what the temperature of my beer is by using the time honored method of measuring the temperature of the beer in the glass with a calibrated thermometer. I draw one beer, chug it and then measure the temperature of the second draw.

Next I set my co2 regulator accordingly.

Now about the Danby...

Mechanically this thing is fine IMHO. The compressor is quiet enough that it doesn't bother me in my den where I watch television, read or take naps. The main mechanical improvement I recommend is adding a tower cooler. This will help prevent the beer in the line from warming and letting co2 come out of solution in turn making the first pour of the day tend to not foam. If the co2 comes out of solution in the line, the first part of your pour is going to be a bit of foam and as Scott points out often in the forums, you can't pour clear beer through foam without making more foam. My original fan modification in my Danby was a simple Wal-Mart desk fan pointed at the tower to keep the air circulating. I have since trashed it and installed a blower that blows air to the base of the shank through a flex tube. Some day I will hard pipe this like lunkhead did his as his looks much better. Don't be afraid to use 90 degree elbows to do this if you use a blower as they will push air far better than old computer fans like the eBay guy is ripping people off with. The return air from the tower is also sufficient to circulate air inside the kegerator.

Electrically is where these things suck. Some people have had some luck having little or no problems with their Danby. However those who have had problems have had varying degrees of problems. Among the problems are incorrect temperature displays, not cooling enough, flashing LEDs indicating errors, unstable temperatures due to defrost cycles or the compressor flat out not running with no warning.

Some people have added resistors that they have been happy with. Some however have froze their kegs while trying to find the right resistor Using the resistor also does not prevent the defrost cycle or keep the board from outright failing as some have had happen. Advantages for some to do the resistor mod is that it is very inexpensive, take very little time and requires a minimum of skill or experience with electricity.

To completely rid yourself of the Danby control and to take control of your temperatures yourself is going to require adding an external temperature controller. I used a Dayton temperature switch that will likely last me forever. However it is much easier and just as dependable to use something like the Brewer's Edge or Johnson Controls switch.

Regardless of what external control you use, you will need to open up your Danby and do some wiring. This is where it gets dicey. If you do not know or are unsure how to work safely with electricity or wires, do not attempt this. Failure to do this correctly or safely can lead to fires, injury, death, property damage and who knows what else.

The first picture I have attached is the original wiring diagram for my Danby. There are some other Danbys out there with another fan controlled by a brown wire. I believe this is a condenser fan and you will want it to run when the compressor runs. I'm not 100% certain of the voltage of this fan or its location so I can't really answer any questions about it if this is the model you have. The black, white and yellow/green wires are the incoming power from where you plug the unit into the wall. The black wire is hot whenever you have the kegerator plugged in. The red wire is the wire you want to get hot to run the compressor. Make sure you tie into the red wire before the overload as you do not want to bypass the overload.

The second picture I attached is how my Danby is wired. Note that the black and white wires are still attached to the control board. This allows for the display to still light up providing me with a visual indicator that the kegerator is powered up. The temperature display still will not be accurate, but it will at least light up. Then the red wire is connected to the terminal on my Dayton that closes on temperature rise. The very important overload is still in the circuit and is functional.

The third picture is one posted by lunkhead showing how he hooked his Johnson Controls external controller. Note that he used the same wires connected in the same fashion so he still has a display. He provided the terminal identification on his for clarity. And again, he has the overload in the circuit.

The fourth picture may be easier for some to use for the Brewer's Edge style control where you plug the control into the wall and then plug the kegerator into that plug. As in the other examples, leave the overload in the circuit.

I hope these wiring diagrams are a little easier for people to find and follow than what is in the old Danby Improvements thread.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by psychodad; 07-29-2015, 03:09 AM.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Some related links...

The original Danby thread:

Johnson Controls temperature controller:

Brewer's Edge II temperature controller:

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

Comment

Another related link -

Pictures of installed resistor in Danby - without using soldering guns or cutting any wires....

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Question

Hello
        I also have a Danby Kegerator which I have used twice in 3 years. The first time I drank and served foamy warm beer. The secound time I bought dry ice. It does work better with dry ice but why have the kegerator if you have to use ice. I happen to find this forum and have spent many hours reading. I have ordered the Brewers edge thermostat, and next week will be buying fans and parts for the conversion to move air to the tower and inside the box. This brings my question?
        1. Will one phone charger operate both 12 volt fans?
        2. The only hole I have in box is where the co2 hose comes through the box, has any one drilled a hole through there box, for the thermostat probe?
        3. How did you seal the hole?
        Thanks for any help and also thanks for this forum I had almost given up on the junk box by DANBY called a kegerator. $589.00 purchase. I hope with some help I can also have success like many on this forum. I'm trying to get it fix before the big game,I have two weeks.
        Thanks Again!!!!

Comment

The easiest way to get the wiring into the kegerator is to go through the same hole as the co2 line. I think this is what most people have done. If you can avoid drilling into the unit it is best. I used the wiring that ran the original Danby fan for mine by soldering the wires directly to the DC power on the Danby board and this has worked well for me.

As far as one cell phone charger running both fans, you will need to take into account the current draw of the fans and the rating of the charger or adapter. There are so many different combinations that it is hard to say without seeing exactly what you have. However a blower and not a fan used for the tower cooler should be fine on its own and no other fans should really be needed.

Comment

thanks, but I have a question

Thanks guys for all the help with the Damnby (danby) Mods. I have had my damnby for about 18 months. It worked fine, but I always suspected that the temp displayed was not the true temp inside. Anyway, the display started to show the code LE which I assume means the sensor has gone bad. Therefore, I am going to embark on making all the improvements noted here in this forum. But I have a few questions.
            1. If I install a blower (for the tower) , do I need a fan too?
            2. How do I get power to the blower --- does it have a 110 plug or do I disconnect the stock fan and use the same terminals for the blower?
            3. I would like to have a temp display after I install the external temp controller? I need more clarification on how to do that. Do I have to take apart the external controller?
            Once again, thanks for all the great info.

Comment

I've found in mine that I need no fan other than the tower cooler. It picks up air from the lower part of the kegerator and moves enough that it is all I need. Your wiring needs will depend on what fan you decide to use. I recommend a DC blower.

Too keep your digital display, refer to the second and third pictures posted above.

Comment

Originally posted by psychodad View Post
                I've found in mine that I need no fan other than the tower cooler. It picks up air from the lower part of the kegerator and moves enough that it is all I need.
                Same here.........
                through the lips to the hips..............

Comment

DAR604BLS *freezing*

Hi All.
                  I'm new to this forum, and have been *scouring* the net trying to find some help for my DAR604BLS refrigerators (I have 2 of them for beer/wine/soda in my home bar.)

The DAR604BLS is the refrigerator version of the DKC645BLS that everyone here has been modding to improve cooling and temperature accuracy.

(This is a bit off-topic for this site/thread, so I hope no one minds the question.)

The problem that I'm having is that my refrigerators randomly freeze everything that's inside. It happens roughly every 9 months, and I've lost far too many cases of beer! There's no warning whatsoever -- All of a sudden I'll notice that the thermostat reads around 18 degrees, and dread opening the door!

Danby replaced the "brains" of both units under a warranty repair about a year ago, but the problem persisted. After contacting them again, they finally gave up and sent me a full refund for both units.

Does anyone here think that using the Johnson Controls A419ABC-1C as a replacement for the internal temperature sensor/controller would solve my problem? I've seen the "Brewer's Edge" mentioned many times, but the JC appears to be very similar and is roughly 1/2 the cost.

I've read about a "defrost cycle" for these units on this site. Would this unit "break" that cycle or otherwise cause problems?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Comment

The external temperature control should stop your freezing as it will almost certainly do a better job of controlling your fridge than Danby's controls.

However because you have to open and close the door to remove and replace beer and food, no defrost may become an inconvenience. You would have to unplug the unit and manually defrost like when I was a kid or use an appliance timer to turn off the unit once a night for a period of time.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I think I'll give it a try!

Comment

So let me see if I have this correct. My Danby quite working the other day with error message on the digital readout. If I cut the red and connect it to the black and plug it in the compressor should run again. This will be my way to check my compressor before I make the purchase of either the brewers edge or the johnson controls temp controller. Am I correct in this assumption? This is a great board with tons of info. I'm tired of foamy beer.
                        Last edited by pippsfarm; 03-01-2010, 09:23 PM.

Comment

That is correct

Comment

Well it looks like my compressor is cooling. One other question is will the original fan only run when the compressor runs? In other words the electrical supply is worthless to run a fan for the cooling tower, right? I believe I read a mod that you wrote to put some jumpers on the circut board to use danby's 12 volt supply. If that is the case you can just hook onto the supply wires from the original fan and have power at all times. Thanks for your input and with your help maybe I can get this thing back up and running. I am just glad I only lost the end of a keg.

Comment

I did connect my fan wires directly to the Danby power supply. However I didn't take any pictures and I can't recall off the top of my head where I made the connections. I just did mine that way for giggles because I had the top off anyway and I had the time. The cell phone charger thing works as good as anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X