DIY Kegerator Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Kegerator Questions

Just a little backgound info, I'm a college student and basically my friends and I just want beer on tap in our apartment, and might at some pointstart brewing our own beer. We don't want to spend $500+ on a kegerator, so we're planning on making our own and have a couple of questions before we get started.

First of all, any online instructions you recommend? Here's a guide I found online, anything more detailed I should see, or does this about sum it up?
    Part 10: The D.I.Y. Kegerator - Kegerators.com

what kind of kit do you recommend? This is the most inexpensive kit I could find, is it a good kit? http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-pid-RK-1.html

How do Keg Couplers differ from each other? Is any $80 Keg Coupler much better than a $30 one? How does the Keg Coupler effect the beer/kegerator?

How does the size of the CO2 tank effect the beer/kegorator? Is it advantageous to spend more money on a bigger tank?

Is a regulator a must-have piece/is it required for the kegerator to function?

What parts need to be refrigerated? If I have a fridge big enough to store the keg, but not the CO2 tank too, would it be a bad idea to drill an addition hole in the side and store the CO2 tank outside the fridge.

As you can see, we are trying to make the best kegerator possible, while saving the most money. All advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Originally posted by rosenstar View Post
    Just a little backgound info, I'm a college student and basically my friends and I just want beer on tap in our apartment, and might at some pointstart brewing our own beer. We don't want to spend $500+ on a kegerator, so we're planning on making our own and have a couple of questions before we get started.

First of all, any online instructions you recommend? Here's a guide I found online, anything more detailed I should see, or does this about sum it up?
    Part 10: The D.I.Y. Kegerator - Kegerators.com

what kind of kit do you recommend? This is the most inexpensive kit I could find, is it a good kit? http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-pid-RK-1.html
    I have found that you can't go wrong with MM products (no, I don't work for them). See also the instructions here... http://www.micromatic.com/templates/...use_manual.pdf

Originally posted by rosenstar
    How do Keg Couplers differ from each other? Is any $80 Keg Coupler much better than a $30 one? How does the Keg Coupler effect the beer/kegerator?
    The main difference is the way it couples to a particular keg. A coupler for Coors will not fit on a Guinness keg etc. See this... http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...s-cid-801.html

How does the size of the CO2 tank effect the beer/kegorator? Is it advantageous to spend more money on a bigger tank?
    A larger tank simply lasts longer. Even a small tank will last many kegs provided you don't have any leaks.

Is a regulator a must-have piece/is it required for the kegerator to function?
    Yes.

What parts need to be refrigerated? If I have a fridge big enough to store the keg, but not the CO2 tank too, would it be a bad idea to drill an addition hole in the side and store the CO2 tank outside the fridge.

As you can see, we are trying to make the best kegerator possible, while saving the most money. All advice is appreciated. Thanks!
    Just the keg & the lines all the way up to the shank need to be cooled. Not a problem if you are doing a simple conversion. Feel the outer skin of the fridge when it is running. If it is warm/hot don't drill holes. Some commercial fridges have the condenser in the outer skin. Chances are with a household fridge it will not be a problem at all.

THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
      Some commercial fridges have the condenser in the outer skin. Chances are with a household fridge it will not be a problem at all.THE ICEMAN
      Residential freezers also have the condensers in the outer skin (if that's the route the take).

Comment

search function, search function, search function, ask specific unanswered questions

Comment

rosenstar,

Wholly agree you need to search and look and learn, then only thing that needs to be added is what you put inside. You need to find a consensus as to what kind of beer will be consumed. Even if you brew your own, you should run some commercial kegs through your kegerator before doing your homebrew. If you have your favorites, look up which coupler that beer requires. If you want to look for different beers find a bar that got lots of beer on tap and try as many you want, then make a list. After you have a list look at places that sell kegs and see which ones carry your favorites and what size they carry them in. Some places carry certain sizes while others carry nearly all in all sizes you have to check, after you find size and beer then you can look for your fridge based on the beers you want to drink. If you all agree on 1 beer then easy but if everyone has a different favorite (as always happens) then you have to add that into the fridge size. Look for used refrigerators/freezers, check size if it will fit everything you want to put in. After that I think everything can be found readily in the forum, good luck and have fun.

KB

Comment

Do your research, then scour E-Bay and Craigslist.

I'm not sure where you are at, but if you have a Menard's lumber, they sell used fridges for $9.00. That is where I got mine. I actually purchased two of them and sold one to a friend for $15.00.

You need to figure out what beer you want, and how much room you have. In the long run, if you can find one for cheap....you are better off buying a USED CO2 tank in a larger size (if you have room).

You mentioned an apartment....will you have room for another full-size fridge or chest freezer conversion?
            On tap:
            1/2 bbl of Lienenkugel's Original

Gone, but not forgotten: (Sadly, Walter Payton's is gone)
            Sixtel of Sam Adams OctoberFest
            Sixtel of Walter Payton's Peat Smoked Scotch Ale
            Corny of Payton's Dancing Bear Honey Wheat
            Corny of Walter Payton's Aurora Amber Ale (both a malty and extra hoppy version)
            Corny (3 gal) of Coconut Rum and Cola
            Corny of Walter Payton's Beauregard's Blueberry Ale
            Corny of Walter Payton's Sweetness Stout on Nitro
            Corny of Rock Bottom's Belgian White Ale

Comment

Originally posted by panthermark View Post
              Do your research, then scour E-Bay and Craigslist.

I'm not sure where you are at, but if you have a Menard's lumber, they sell used fridges for $9.00. That is where I got mine. I actually purchased two of them and sold one to a friend for $15.00.

You need to figure out what beer you want, and how much room you have. In the long run, if you can find one for cheap....you are better off buying a USED CO2 tank in a larger size (if you have room).

You mentioned an apartment....will you have room for another full-size fridge or chest freezer conversion?
              We do not have room for a full sized fridge, I was thinking more along the lines of a larger sized mini-fridge. If a keg and the CO2 and tubes can fit, does it make a difference?

Comment

Sears has some good Christmas deals going on.
                Sears.com

Your friends have money.
                SEAN
                Last edited by bonefish; 12-14-2009, 09:36 PM.
                I cool my tower with Beer.
                http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

We do not have room for a full sized fridge, I was thinking more along the lines of a larger sized mini-fridge. If a keg and the CO2 and tubes can fit, does it make a difference?
                  Do a search on this site for mini or compact fridges.....

It can done, but it is difficult to find a mini-fridge that does not have the built in freezer on top. There is a Sanyo model out there this is often used, but you are now looking at buying a brand new mini-fridge unless you luck out and find one that works on Craigslist. You CAN use a unit with a freezer on top, but you have to been the freezer down...so there is a good chance that you could break the freon line and end up with an insulated, airtight, paperweight.

Also, you are looking at a little bit of extra money to buy a tower.

If both size and budget are an issue, you may be better off getting one of the cheaper pre-built units if you can find one on sale. There are plenty of threads here on how to modify them to get them to work properly.
                  On tap:

Corny of Walter Payton's Aurora Amber Ale (both a malty and extra hoppy version)

Comment

Originally posted by KillianBoy View Post
                    rosenstar,

Wholly agree you need to search and look and learn, then only thing that needs to be added is what you put inside. You need to find a consensus as to what kind of beer will be consumed. Even if you brew your own, you should run some commercial kegs through your kegerator before doing your homebrew. If you have your favorites, look up which coupler that beer requires. If you want to look for different beers find a bar that got lots of beer on tap and try as many you want, then make a list. After you have a list look at places that sell kegs and see which ones carry your favorites and what size they carry them in. Some places carry certain sizes while others carry nearly all in all sizes you have to check, after you find size and beer then you can look for your fridge based on the beers you want to drink. If you all agree on 1 beer then easy but if everyone has a different favorite (as always happens) then you have to add that into the fridge size. Look for used refrigerators/freezers, check size if it will fit everything you want to put in. After that I think everything can be found readily in the forum, good luck and have fun.

KB
                    I've read this elsewhere too, just curious, how come a tap will fit any keg, but the coupler has to match a specific keg?

Do a search on this site for mini or compact fridges.....

It can done, but it is difficult to find a mini-fridge that does not have the built in freezer on top. There is a Sanyo model out there this is often used, but you are now looking at buying a brand new mini-fridge unless you luck out and find one that works on Craigslist. You CAN use a unit with a freezer on top, but you have to been the freezer down...so there is a good chance that you could break the freon line and end up with an insulated, airtight, paperweight.

Also, you are looking at a little bit of extra money to buy a tower.

If both size and budget are an issue, you may be better off getting one of the cheaper pre-built units if you can find one on sale. There are plenty of threads here on how to modify them to get them to work properly.
                    So if I'm trying to build a kegerator that can fit one 1/2 Keg and a 5 pound CO2 tank, what's the smallest size the fridge can be, assuming I'd like to put a tower on top?

Could you explain what you mean by "been the freezer down"? The mini-fridge I have in mind is a one door mini-fridge with a removable plastic shelf in the top right corner for a "freezer." This small change in temperature shouldn't make that much of a difference should it?

Finally, Does putting a tower on top versus on the side complicate the job at all?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I'm new here, ran a quick search and didn't get much helpful info...
                    Last edited by rosenstar; 12-15-2009, 06:09 AM.

Comment

I've read this elsewhere too, just curious, how come a tap will fit any keg, but the coupler has to match a specific keg?
                      Depends on what they are talking about when they say "tap".

If by "tap" they mean "coupler"....then certain couplers go with certain beers. The most common is a type D...which is why it is important to know which beer you will be drinking.

If by "tap" they mean "faucet"....then with the exception for nitrogen beers, any faucet will work with any beer.

I think the the term "tap" or "tapper" is often used (especially in college) for the entire "pump" assembley that comes with the kegs that are rented for parties. Those have both the coupler and plastic faucet in one unit.
                      On tap:

Comment

Originally posted by panthermark View Post
                        Depends on what they are talking about when they say "tap".

If by "tap" they mean "coupler"....then certain couplers go with certain beers. The most common is a type D...which is why it is important to know which beer you will be drinking.

If by "tap" they mean "faucet"....then with the exception for nitrogen beers, any faucet will work with any beer.

I think the the term "tap" or "tapper" is often used (especially in college) for the entire "pump" assembley that comes with the kegs that are rented for parties. Those have both the coupler and plastic faucet in one unit.
                        I am referring to the pump assembly, which in my experience has fit on kegs of 4 different types of beer.

Comment

So if I'm trying to build a kegerator that can fit one 1/2 Keg and a 5 pound CO2 tank, what's the smallest size the fridge can be, assuming I'd like to put a tower on top?

Could you explain what you mean by "been the freezer down"? The mini-fridge I have in mind is a one door mini-fridge with a removable plastic shelf in the top right corner for a "freezer." This small change in temperature shouldn't make that much of a difference should it?

Finally, Does putting a tower on top versus on the side complicate the job at all?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I'm new here, ran a quick search and didn't get much helpful info...
                          Sorry, that was supposed to be "bend the freezer down". The problem with most mini-fridges is that you do not have enough height to intstall a keg, the coupler, and the beer line. To be safe, you need about 30 inches of height, and the freezer gets in the way. So you either need a fridge without the freezer, or you can try to "bend" the entire freezer portion backwards so that it rests against the back of the fridge. However, the danger in bending back the entire freezer is that you could snap the freon line.....thus...your new insulated box.

Also, most mini-fridges have a compresser in the back corner that takes away a lot of room. To fit full size (1/2) keg, you should bank on 18 inches of width and depth, and 30 inches of height.

The Sanyo 4912 is probably the "best" mini-fridge model used....but I can't remember if that was in deep enough or not for a 1/2bbl. Homebrewtalk.com has TONS of examples and pics.
                          On tap:

Comment

I am referring to the pump assembly, which in my experience has fit on kegs of 4 different types of beer.
                            No more pump assemblies my friend. You are dealing with CO2 now.

Again, the pump assembly is nothing more than a coupler, a pump (instead of CO2), and a hose with a little black faucet on the end.

Here is a list of every type of coupler...and the beer it uses.

That is why we asked what type of beer you will be drinking. If you are going to stick with nothing but domestic macros, then a standard type D will be all you need. And a type D is the coupler that is being used in most pump assembly/tappers.
                            On tap:

Comment

Most American beers will come with the same type of coupler. The "D" coupler. Which is probably what your party pumper used.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Working...
                              X