How to Open a Grundy Keg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Open a Grundy Keg

I purchased a kegerator from a restaurant that was in storage for 10 years. Inside was a very old Grundy "G" Style keg full of Bass Ale. Do you know know to open the keg? I can't find anything online.

Use a type G coupler.

I'd search on E-Bay for a cheap used one. I think I got mine for about $19 shipped.

Or you can avoid the wait and bidding...and just get one from here.
    On tap:
    1/2 bbl of Lienenkugel's Original

Gone, but not forgotten: (Sadly, Walter Payton's is gone)
    Sixtel of Sam Adams OctoberFest
    Sixtel of Walter Payton's Peat Smoked Scotch Ale
    Corny of Payton's Dancing Bear Honey Wheat
    Corny of Walter Payton's Aurora Amber Ale (both a malty and extra hoppy version)
    Corny (3 gal) of Coconut Rum and Cola
    Corny of Walter Payton's Beauregard's Blueberry Ale
    Corny of Walter Payton's Sweetness Stout on Nitro
    Corny of Rock Bottom's Belgian White Ale

Comment

I think he's asking how to actually open the keg, so that it can be refilled.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

yes, how do you actually open the keg to be used in Homebrew.

Comment

Originally posted by BillAdams06 View Post
          yes, how do you actually open the keg to be used in Homebrew.
          Plasma torch or cutoff wheel. Add a spigot to the bottom, brew in it and then put the fermented beer in a corney keg that is easier to clean and sanitize.
          Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
          but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

BillAdams06,

I don't know if that's practical to use it as a dispenser, think psychodad has the right idea and use it another way. You can do your own search on Google but from what I have read only breweries are allowed to disassemble kegs, one site had this posted:

REMOVAL OF THE SANKEY "SPEAR" OR DIP TUBE MUST BE DONE BY TRAINED INDIVIDUALS. KEGS ARE UNDER HIGH PRESSURE, AND THAT PRESSURE MUST BE COMPLETELY RELEASED (SAFELY) BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO REMOVE THE SPEAR. IF YOU ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE SPEAR WITHOUT RELEASING THE PRESSURE SAFELY FIRST, THE SPEAR COULD SHOOT OUT OF THE KEG AT HIGH VELOCITY AND MAME OR KILL YOU, ANOTHER PERSON OR ANIMAL, OR CAUSE PROPERTY DAMAGE.

One site had a homemade removal tool; other site sold it for $700 dollars (US Sankey “D” coupler). You could try and see if any breweries are willing to do it for you. The biggest problem your going to have is finding the keg washer to replace the old one. Don’t know if it feasible to use it for homebrew dispensing, good luck.

KB

Comment

Another thread that gets the word "death" in it. Be careful out there, beer drinkers.
              SEAN
              I cool my tower with Beer.
              http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

Two things:

A 'G' system keg uses a different valving mechanism than sanke kegs, so the advice above about removal of the spear and ring is not applicable. And, yes, attempting to remove the valve from a keg without proper training or experience can result in grievous injury or death.

You do not own that keg, it is the property of Anheuser-Busch InBev, and as such, should be returned to them so they can wash it, clean it, send it back to the Bass Brewery in Burton Upon Trent who will will refill it with beer and send it on it's way.

Your best option is to find a kegs-to-go retailer who will give you whatever deposit their distributor gives them for the kegs (up here in the PNW they range up to $45) and apply that money to purchasing a corny keg or two for homebrewing use.

Comment

I have called all the distributors in our area and was advised that the G style Keg is not used anymore by them. They also wouldn't give me a deposit on it, nor could i use it to trade in on another keg. So..if they aren't willing to work with me, I have no morality issues using the keg (that I paid for) for personal uses.
                  I have a friend in Trent UK that I will call today and have them call Bass and see if they want to come and get it.

Yesterday I was able to figure out the removal procedure and got the spear out. not very difficult, but the washing thing is a concern. I put Star soap in it and used my big carboy brush and got all the deposits off.

If not for dispensing how about for a primary fermentor?

Comment

I'm totally against people keeping kegs that aren't theirs, but in the case of a 10yr old keg of a style that is no longer in use, I do not see any moral problem with doing with it as you please. I think you've done due dilligence in trying to find out about returning it.

You're going to want to make sure the inside of it is smooth, for a fermenting container. You need smooth everything... no scratches, smooth welds. I guess I'd have to see it. You'd need a way to seal it up, with an air lock, to ferment. I think a more practical use might be a brew kettle.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Many people use kegs for fermenters. It has never looked like an attractive option to me as it just seems too much of a hassle to make sure that it is clean and sanitized enough for wort.
                      Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
                      but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

i think the Keggles get the win on this one. I got open and cleaned but resealing it requires some sort of pressure clamp like a bearing puller to hook on the ring on the neck and push the spear into place. Yup. now it is time to find someone to help cut the top. anyone know a good keggle building plan?

Comment

I have an orphaned Bass keg I want to use as a fermenter - what was the process for geting it open and the spear out?

Comment

Hi there and welcome to the forums,

Three things you should be aware of:

1) NEVER, and I mean NEVER attempt to remove the valve or spear from a keg of beer unless you have the required: Tools, equipment, and knowledge to be able to de-pressurize the keg and safely remove the components. Even those trained at commercial breweries rarely do this operation and undertaking it without the proper safety precautions in place CAN and WILL result in INJURY, BLINDNESS, or DEATH, yes that is right, people have been KILLED removing spears from pressurized kegs because they didn't know any better.

2) There is no such thing as an 'Orphaned' keg of Bass, this keg is the property of the brewery and should be returned to them to clean and re-fill with fresh beer! Bass is an interesting label in that it has had ownership by both AB-Inbev and SAB Miller at various times.

3) For the moment, Bass is still brewed and kegged (mostly) according to tradition, by the Marston's brewery in Burton Upon Trent, and the kegs they used, as you noticed, are not in large supply, the more cooperage that disappears from this brewery, thus increasing production costs, ensures that the beer will eventually be taken over, and mass brewed in some large AB-InBev or SAB Miller facility and just labeled 'Bass' in the future. Don't be a part of the demise of a traditional brewery, regardless of ownership, return that keg into the distribution chain!

If you need a keg with no valve for a specific reason, we can make a lot of great recommendations on alternatives or help you source a damaged or unusable keg.

Take care!

Edit:

P.S. FWIW - Bass is STILL distributed with the 'G' coupler, which is used by at least 20 different beers, it is not antiquated, this style of keg is STILL in use... I just tapped a keg of ANCHOR beer from SF, which uses 'G' system kegs... As well as Bass, Tennant's, All of the Greene King beers, Blackthorn Cider, Caffery's, etc... EVEN if a brewer discontinues a valve system, the kegs are SILL their property and they usually RESELL them in order to RECOUP money to PURCHASE NEW KEGS, so taking a keg is STILL STEALING!
                            Last edited by BrewGuru; 06-10-2011, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Some places don't want their kegs back. Cigar City looked at me like I was crazy when I brought back a keg to get the deposit back. I didn't have the receipt. Guess that's my keg now.

Comment

Working...
                              X