Stupid Question (watered down beer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Question (watered down beer)

So this has happened to me twice now. The keg is empty, done, spitting out foam and it's light.

Then, a couple days later, with the kegerator off (beer has warmed up) it proceeds to dispense >2 gallons of super watered down beer.

I've got a couple hypotheses on the topic, but I'm wondering if someone can shed some light...
    1. Beer has actually frozen inside the keg and defrosted.
    1. Same as #1, but due to a leaky seal. (my lines usually freeze first)
    1. Something else?

I did notice when I pulled all that water, and removed the coupler, the keg was spitting out bubbles for over 10 minutes, leading me to believe the seal was bad, but I don't appear to have any leaks. The keg wasn't over pressurized.

I have set my temp controller up to 37 from 34, in case #1 is the issue (thinking since my temperature probe is at the front of the unit, the rear was freezing?)

Any ideas?
    Thanks!

My suggestion:

Next time you run dry....take the keg out and shake it to see if you "hear" anything. Turn it upside down and let it sit out for a few hours....then shake again. At some point...if you hear/feel a big "clunk"...you know you have frozen beer.
    On tap:
    1/2 bbl of Lienenkugel's Original

Gone, but not forgotten: (Sadly, Walter Payton's is gone)
    Sixtel of Sam Adams OctoberFest
    Sixtel of Walter Payton's Peat Smoked Scotch Ale
    Corny of Payton's Dancing Bear Honey Wheat
    Corny of Walter Payton's Aurora Amber Ale (both a malty and extra hoppy version)
    Corny (3 gal) of Coconut Rum and Cola
    Corny of Walter Payton's Beauregard's Blueberry Ale
    Corny of Walter Payton's Sweetness Stout on Nitro
    Corny of Rock Bottom's Belgian White Ale

Comment

Originally posted by panthermark View Post
      My suggestion:

Next time you run dry....take the keg out and shake it to see if you "hear" anything. Turn it upside down and let it sit out for a few hours....then shake again. At some point...if you hear/feel a big "clunk"...you know you have frozen beer.
      Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try that...

Thanks!

Comment

kgorilla,

OK, read your other post, I like the copper pipe solution (exactly like mine), some questions:

- Kind of beer and size

- placement of fan and if sensor is anywhere near it

- Ice on plate?

- What is the exact temperature of your beer in glass?

2 gallons?, If it’s ½ keg of light beer it about right (I had a gallon of carbonated water in 1/6), did you have slow or no flow at anytime, separated beer will ice over the top of keg and cause disruptions in CO2 flow, if your CO2 has been good then the beer might becoming slush.
        I also think the fan should be on all the time (or at least when your drinking beer). In my opinion I think when your fan shuts off the cold air falls to the bottom of the unit super cooling the bottom of the keg separating the beer. Pictures would also be good to diagnose problems. I had frozen kegs before it ain't fun and will do anything to prevent this happening.

KB

Comment

Another side effect of beer being too cold.
          Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
          but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Working...
          X