Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long should I let a keg settle before tapping it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long should I let a keg settle before tapping it?

I tend to think that I rush it. After driving it home and bringing it down stairs and shaking it up a bit from the movement, how long would you let the keg settle before tapping it?

24 hours at the least. You need to let the keg get to temp & to let CO2 get back into solution.

THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

While 24 hours is recommended, I've brought many home and tapped after 2-3 hours. When I do that, I usually deal with a bit of foam that first night. Especially if the temperature is too high. But when you need a beer, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

I tap and drink. No harm can be done.
        SEAN
        I cool my tower with Beer.
        http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

When I can wait, I usually leave it for a day. There have been plenty of times though that I tapped it immediately. Since the keg is always warmer than it should be, I just compensate by raising the CO2 pressure to 16-17 PSI for a few hours and it works just fine. This is also another good reason to have a longer beer line since it gives you the option of running higher pressures without the flow getting unreasonably fast.

Comment

I've tapped immediately after putting it in, and also waited. I get my kegs 5 minutes from home. I think it's more important for your temp to be correct more than anything else. The shakeup, (as long as it's not dropped!!) doesn't really affeect it very much. The first 2 pours usually takes care of that!!!
            It's not what you do that's important, it's who you do it with!

My baby!
            http://www.micromatic.com/forum/us-e...light=gamecock

Comment

I always let it sit as long as i possibly can before tapping, to let the temp stabilize. The store where I get kegs from, while being great guys to deal with, great prices, and able to order me anything I can imagine, do not keep the kegs as cold as I would like.
              24 hours always gets things nice and chilled though.
              I agree with increased PSI if tapping early on, as well as having extra line.
              Nostalgia Electric Kegerator - heavily modified
              MM dual gauge regulator
              MM coupler
              8" beer line
              Perlick no drip faucet

Kegs RIP: Dos Equis Lager, Anchor Steam, MGD, Budweiser
              Current: Bell's Oberon

Comment

I pick up a 1/4 barrel a few days before the other one runs dry,so it is ready to go.

Comment

I tap the keg and start drinking it right away. I keep the pressure up around 16-18 for macro brew, then check the temp of the beer. Unless its over 50(its usually about 45 by the time I get it home and tapped), it presents no problem.

Got one in the 60s a few kegs ago and it was a little foamy the first night. But not bad.

Comment

The place I get mine is two minutes down the road and they keep all their kegs frigid cold. So I dont have to worry about temperature changes or anything like that even in the summer heat. So I get it home and tap it as soon as I can, havent had any problems with it so far.

Comment

Do you have the room in your kegerator for 2? To keep them both cold?

Originally posted by bald eagle View Post
                      I pick up a 1/4 barrel a few days before the other one runs dry,so it is ready to go.

Comment

He is running 1/4 barrels, you can fit 2 in your standard kegerator no problem.

Comment

I tap the keg within 5 minutes of getting it home, use pitchers if its a little foamy. I've never had problems on my 8th keg on my danby.

Comment

I don't wait. The brewery I get most of my kegs from is about 15 minutes from the house. No foam issues at all.

I did have some foam issues when my Explorer was up on the lift while I rebuilt the tranny. Kegs didn't like riding shotgun in 95+ degree heat in a Wrangler with no doors. It'd take the Perlick 2 or 3 hours to get the keg cooled back down then.

Comment

Right away, bump psi up but 5 psi. My distributor is less than a mile away and stores kegs around 40-42F. In the dead heat of summer the warmest that I got was 42 F. going in. No problems I couldn't deal with.

Comment

Working...
                              X