Tower cooler question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tower cooler question

I have the Summit SBC490BI and have upgraded to the 3" draught tower and I want to install the 12 CFM blower to cool the tower, but I am concerned about that fact that the hole in the top of the cooler is 1 1/2". Am I going to have to make that hole bigger? Making the hole in the top of the cooler is not that big a deal - just a hole saw, right, but the issue is that the counter top is granite and if I have to enlarge the hole, that means a $100 minimum service call. What do you all think? Will there be enough open space with the duct hose and the beer line for warm air to return down to the cooler? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by tfvdw2at; 09-28-2009, 11:45 AM.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
    -Frank Zappa

Fan arrived today

My fan arrived today from Grainger. I ordered this one:

PSC Blower,115 Volt - Small Centrifugal Blowers - Blowers - HVACR : Grainger Industrial Supply

the 1" tube and mounting bracket arrive tomorrow from Micro Matic.

If I can figure out how to post pics, I will do so.

Thanks,

Greg
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
    -Frank Zappa

Comment

The bar

Here is what the set up looks like from the outside.
      Attached Files
      -Frank Zappa

Comment

All you need is return air flow. I would install the blower and run the cooling line to the top of the tower. If you can feel return air flow back into the kegerator, through the remaining space in the tower hole, than you shouldn't need to expand the hole.

Otherwise, if there's no return air flow, you need to expand the hole. If you can't cut the hole yourself, then yes, a service call it is. If you don't expand the hole, and you don't feel return air flow, then it's pretty much the same as not having a fan installed at all.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Thanks

Thanks cubby_swans. I will give it a shot when all the parts arrive. Planning on doing the work this weekend.

I will update my post when I have the work done.

Thanks,

Greg
          -Frank Zappa

Comment

That's alot of blower. Check this one out for less than $10 bucks:
            12VDC 50MM BLOWER | AllElectronics.com

Comment

@ JCKoLnturn - yes it is, but I wanted 110v and I wanted something that was going to last a really long time. It is similar to the one that Micro Matic sells here:

but was $30 cheaper and seems to be about the same thing. I don't mind spending a little more for what I hope will be a solution that outlasts me.
              -Frank Zappa

Comment

another question

I saw another post relating to Danby improvements where someone had run the beer line up through the hose that is attached to the fan here.

I am thinking that may be a good solution due to the small hole I have in the granite counter top.

Does anyone see a problem with that approach?

Thanks.

Greg
                -Frank Zappa

Comment

I think while running the beer line through the cold air duct sounds good, it isn't much of a difference. Not that it is a bad idea, but if there isn't enough air flow, there isn't enough airflow.
                  Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
                  but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Routing the beer line through the flex tube is ideal. But as Psychodad mentioned, if you do not have air flow, all is for naught. It would be similar to attempting to blow through a straw with the end pinched shut. Impossible. Open up the end of the straw and you can blow through it all day long.

Tape the entry point of the beer line to prevent air from dumping out of the flex tube and back into your kegerator.
                    Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Success!!

Scott, Psychodad, et al: The project has been a success. Thank you so much for your helpful advice. The draught tower is cold to the touch; there is a tiny bit of condensation right at the top of the tower; you can feel air coming back down into the cooler from the hole at the top so circulation is good. I am waiting for the beer to get back down to the right temp after it was out of the cooler for some time while we did the work. Hopefully it will be cold by kickoff! I have attached pics. I am happy to answer any questions folks have about the project. Please feel free to ask!
                      Attached Files
                      -Frank Zappa

Comment

That looks like success.
                        Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
                        but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

@psychodad: it does but these pics REALLY look like success. Thanks everyone for all your help!
                          Attached Files
                          -Frank Zappa

Comment

tfvdw2at, much congrats on your success! Isn't such a great feeling when you finally get it all dialed in?
                            On Tap - BEER

Comment

@daswerve - Amen. It feels almost as good as this cold pint of Sierra Nevada tastes! So glad that I found this forum! My yummy, perfectly poured, perfectly chilled pint is raised to the smart folks on this forum that got me there. Thanks to all.
                              -Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
                              X