pressure/vacuum test on old BM23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pressure/vacuum test on old BM23

I have a quandary.....My old BM23 is out of freon charge after a "re-fit" about 3 years ago, suspect high side port Shrader valve (it felt loose and could be tightened). When hooked up to gauges, it will keep a "test" pressure of 50 psi (not tried higher yet) for 72 hours plus with no change, but will not hold a vacuum for more than a few minutes, both tests done with the same set up, with both the hi /lo side manifold valves locked out (all hoses still connected to the vac pump and the hi/lo ports). Do I have a leak in the system, or are my various hoses and connections just not suitable for vacuum sealing?
    Any input would be appreciated.

50 psi will not necessarily tell you much. If you can, hit it with about 300 psi of dry nitrogen & watch your gauges for a while. If you don't see the needle move, take off your gauges to remove them as a possibility. You can leak check weld joints, fittings, etc. with a soap solution.

Nitrogen, with smaller molecules, will leak out more readily than refrigerant or just plain air. Try the 72 hour test with the higher pressure & quickly put your gauges back on to see what you get. You should see a little drop from before just from removing & attaching your hoses but if the pressure is way down then you know you have a leak in your system & not your gauges/hoses.

THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
    X