Final word: Nitrogen & CO2 equipment compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final word: Nitrogen & CO2 equipment compatibility

I've done a few searches & not always found consistent or rock-solid information on mixed gas & CO2; so in an effort to determine what equipment I need to support both systems, I pose the following questions...

Q1: If I currently have a kegerator set up for a 1/2 keg with a 20-lb CO2 tank and a CO2 regulator on the gas side, a "D"-style keg coupler, and a standard faucet, what is the minimum I would need to support Guinness & other stouts?

Would I be able to get away with the following?
    • a mixed-gas (nitrogen) cylinder
    • an adapter to fit the N tank to my CO2 regulator
    • the correct keg coupler
    • a stout faucet
    ?

Q2: What is/are the differences between a CO2 regulator and a nitrogen regulator, other than fitting/connection type? Are the measurement/regulation ranges different?

TIA
    Facebook - home-built CO2 kegerator w/Boozerator

I have an addition to this question as well.

Would it be possible to fill a 5lb aluminum CO2 tank with mixed-gas?

If so, that would eliminate the need for an additional nitrogen tank. I already have a small 5lb CO2, and a larger 20lb CO2 tank as well.
    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Comment

Originally posted by KingPin461 View Post
      I have an addition to this question as well.
      Would it be possible to fill a 5lb aluminum CO2 tank with mixed-gas?
      If so, that would eliminate the need for an additional nitrogen tank. I already have a small 5lb CO2, and a larger 20lb CO2 tank as well.
      I don't know. I know that mixed-gas cylinders are typically rated for higher pressures, and have different fittings. As a result, it may be difficult to find someone willing to fill a CO2 tank with mixed gas.
      Facebook - home-built CO2 kegerator w/Boozerator

Comment

Normally the mixed gas overall pressure in the cylinder will be in the 1800 to 2000 PSI range. To be able to place enough mixed gas in the cylinder to make it worthwhile and to prevent the CO2 from liquefying, gas companies are limited to these pressures.

CO2 cylinders have a burst valve that is designed to release around 2800 PSI. It is up to the gas company's policy as to if they are willing to fill your CO2 cylinder. If so, they will label your cylinder as such and you can use your normal regulator. If not, you will need to use this adapter.
        Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Working...
        X