Water in the bottom of Kegerator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in the bottom of Kegerator

I have a Beverage Air 2 with front ventilating compressor. When I went to change the empty keg of Guinness, there was an unusual amount of water at the bottom, inside the Kegerator, It took a beach towell to soak up the water.

Is this normal? Yes, it is summer and warm in my house. Air conditioning is not run, but the unit is well ventilated.

Also, if it helps, the other two kegs of beer in the unit are just about empty. It made me wonder if empty or near empty kegs create more condensation.

Any ideas? I would hate to think I have a problem with the unit. It is two years old and has been run 24 / 7 since purchase.

I picked up a container of Damp Rid which is simply nothing more than Calcium Chloride.

I've been told I can replenish it from a pool store. This helps keep my kegeratore and fermentation freeze nice n dry.

I got them from Lowes or Home Depot.... Walmart has it in the large tub over in the RV section...

Comment

I've seen a few different things cause the beverage air units to flood in the bottom. From the bottom of the evaporator housing get pin holes in it from rusting, clogged drains, and the pan not being pitched right.Those would be the 1st things I would take a look at.
      What I got:
      Beverage Air #BM23
      with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
      -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
      -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
      -MM S/S Keg Couplers
      YouTube video of the goods

Comment

Originally posted by Dr J View Post
        I have a Beverage Air 2 with front ventilating compressor. When I went to change the empty keg of Guinness, there was an unusual amount of water at the bottom, inside the Kegerator, It took a beach towell to soak up the water.

Is this normal? Yes, it is summer and warm in my house. Air conditioning is not run, but the unit is well ventilated.

Also, if it helps, the other two kegs of beer in the unit are just about empty. It made me wonder if empty or near empty kegs create more condensation.

Any ideas? I would hate to think I have a problem with the unit. It is two years old and has been run 24 / 7 since purchase.
        BeerGuy may be right on. About a year and a half ago my True unit did the same thing. The drain line was clear and the drain pan was in the right place. That left just one thing, oh no. Right, the pan inside the unit had developed pin holes. It could have been a hundred or more. The rep. at the parts place that E-Mailed me had the part totally wrong, so I gave it to my local sheet metal guy and he said he could duplicate. Well, after about six weeks or so I got tired of waiting, and was getting darn thirsty. Don't laugh, I tried taping up the holes then spraying with paint, two or three coats, not! So I needed a liner, the wife, the wonderful person she is said how about a oven liner. Low and behold about two bucks later wallah. You have to cut to size and make a hole for the drain line, then seal with some sort of water proof sealer, but after a year and a half, give or take, keep my fingers crossed, no leaks.
        Good Luck and I feel your pain

Comment

Thanks guys. As I was playing around in there, I noticed there was a constant water drip coming from the beer tower (I have a ceramic, big, German style tower), so it must have gotten warm in there due to the fact that there is a few inches from the top of the kegerator, through the bar top, to the tower. Also, I noticed the cool air hose was not hooked up. I hooked it up, and the next day I still had water. So, my experiment today was to dry out the bottom, and hook up a cup underneath the tower to collect the water. This way I can rule out whether it is coming from the evaporation pan or all by the tower itself.

If it is the evaporation pan, I will need advice on that, as I don't even have a clue as to where it is. My unit is tucked under a bar and not very accessible. (That almost sounds perverted!)

Shout out to Pt. Pleasant Guy, I am a Brigantine guy, just a few exits down the parkway on the Jersey Shore.

Comment

Hey Dr J... are you saying there is a open gap between the top of the unit and the underside of your bar??? Not very insulated with an opeing like that..
            What I got:
            Beverage Air #BM23
            -MM S/S Keg Couplers

Comment

There is probably a three inch gap between the top of the unit to through the bar top to the tower base. I have everything filled with foam and wrapped insulation. Not the best situation, but it was all I could do.

The good news, concerning my puddle of water, is that it is the condensation dripping from the tower. The floor has been dry since I put the water collecting cup in there.

Comment

If its works then great....I personally would of cut a piece of PVC pipe with a flange on each side then wrap that. And extended the blower hose up through there.
                What I got:
                Beverage Air #BM23
                -MM S/S Keg Couplers

Comment

That sounds like a great idea. Will do that.

Jersey Shore Rules!

Comment

water of floor in meister

I have a 4 year old True TDD1 that just recently started having water collect on the inside floor of the unit. Checked the drain and it is clear, pan is placed properly under the unit, and I don't see any condensation or driping anywhere inside the unit. At a loss as to where the water is coming from.
                    The unit is in my basement bar, and the room has a dehumidifier running, showing only 40% humidity.
                    Any thoughts from the group as to what to check next ?

Comment

Originally posted by MedEvacMedic View Post
                      I have a 4 year old True TDD1 that just recently started having water collect on the inside floor of the unit. Checked the drain and it is clear, pan is placed properly under the unit, and I don't see any condensation or driping anywhere inside the unit. At a loss as to where the water is coming from.
                      The unit is in my basement bar, and the room has a dehumidifier running, showing only 40% humidity.
                      Any thoughts from the group as to what to check next ?
                      There isn't much else left. If your door seal isn't tight, or the beer line isn't leaking it can only be a drain line or the evaporator pan. As I earlier posted my evaporator pan had pin holes. Also I do refrain from opening my kegerator door between kegs. I have noticed that when I leave the door closed my unit stays dry as a bone, even the drain bottle.

Comment

Doug,

Thanks for the reply. It still remains a mystery, especially now that all of a sudden there is no more water collecting on the floor of the unit. At least for now anyway !
                        Even with keeping the door closed between kegs, my collection bottle needs to be emptied every two weeks or so. I just attribute that to basement humidity (what little there is down there), and the fact that the unit isn't really 100% airtight with having the open line (drain line) to the collection bottle inside.

keeping my fingers crossed !

Comment

Originally posted by MedEvacMedic View Post
                          Doug,
                          and the fact that the unit isn't really 100% airtight with having the open line (drain line) to the collection bottle inside.
                          keeping my fingers crossed !
                          So let's see if i read you correct, it hasn't pooled on the bottom since you put a collection devise under the tower. Is the tower cap loose or missing the O-ring cause it appears the tower is the cause. Any outside air will cause it to sweat and lower cooling. If it's not 100 percent air tight then get some "Hot Shot" foam spray insulation and seal it. Do you have a tower cooling fan and do you have enough insulation in your tower? Does it sweat on the outside of the tower?
                          Last edited by pvs6; 10-20-2009, 05:51 AM.

Comment

I believe the collection bottle he's referring to there is the one that the drip tray drains into.

Comment

Originally posted by doug ellis View Post
                              Also I do refrain from opening my kegerator door between kegs.
                              How do you keep the door closed between kegs? How do you get the old one out and new one in?

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Working...
                              X