frost in kegerators...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frost in kegerators...

howdy. my kegerator has frost inside. (and it's a vissani, not a freezer.) do you guys get frost? how have you tackled it? i'm thinking of havin' the mc guys come out again, cause they didn't fix it right. (they told me it would eventually defrost, and yet it has gotten worse.) beer is not as cold as i would like it, but i am not bothered by that on this particular keg (moosehead. it's still tasty.)

so, any suggestions?

pertinent specs: pressure at 14, beer temp is only 43 (yikes, i know, and yes there is foam. one day i will balance this system, but first, i wanna tackle da frost.)

nina
    there once was a chick from pawtucket,
    whose hubby had just kicked the bucket,
    he'd brewed all da beer,
    which brought all da cheer,
    so she built a keg fridge
    and said !

beer. lubricating grad students since the dawn of man.

I put a lamp timer on my electrical outlet. I set it to shut off the kegorator for 2 hours every night. Works good.
    SEAN
    I cool my tower with Beer.
    http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

I have not had a frost problem with my unit but I am a real fanatic about keeping the door closed. In the summer humid weather you are sure to get frost if the door is opened frequently. I have also added the fan in a box with a tower cooling hose. It would seem that the air circulation not only helps a stable keg temperature but would also help manage the frost problem. When you look closely at specs the best and most expensive kegerators they all have internal fans.

If I had it to do again would I buy this unit? I am not sure, it was an impulse buy to begin with. The good news is that it has forced me to really learn from all the knowledgeable folks here how to properly care for and feed a kegerator. The reward is a great tasting, properly poured brew any time I want. Being the envy of the neighborhood is a side effect. I have the unit in my garage and am a bit of a perfectionist about my cars but I have never had this much interest and help before. Just another side effect.
      "There's damsels in distress out there, and we got all this beer"
      -Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Most residential cold plate style kegerators with no active circulation will require manual defrost every so often, just like any 'dorm fridge' or similar unit based on a cold plate.

The more often you open the door, the more often they will need to be defrosted - storing other beverages in a cold plate style kegerator and treating it like a refrigerator is a poor idea and will result in the more frequent need to manually defrost the unit.

Don't waste money having a tech come out, sounds like they misdirected you before, and probably charged you for it, and they will likely misdirect you again, and probably charge you for it...

Comment

thanks for the tip, brew. i didn't think i would have to defrost it (i haven't been in undergrad for some time now!!!, lol)

i keep the door closed, but i think i will strap it closed, too, as the seal is not as tight as it could be.

we'll see what happens.

still drinkin' moosehead!!! YAY!
          he'd brewed all da beer,
          and said !

Comment

@ sean:

where'd ya get the lamp timer? i have an old darkroom timer that i might be able to use too..hmmmm...

nina
            he'd brewed all da beer,
            and said !

Comment

Did you add the computer fan powered by an old cell phone charger yet?

Whether you put it in box or mount it in the fridge. The addition of a fan to my vissani really solved a multitude of problems and made the stable and much more predictable. Once you circulate air in the unit I'll bet your frosting problems will diminish.
              "There's damsels in distress out there, and we got all this beer"
              -Jimmy Buffett

Comment

I googled "lamp timer."
                Intermatic Lamp & Appliance Timer: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag
                That is exactly like mine. I probably got it at Home Depot.
                SEAN
                I cool my tower with Beer.
                http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

@ bone: not yet. i plan to this weekend though.
                  @ sean: cool. thanks.
                  he'd brewed all da beer,
                  and said !

Comment

unplug the unit and defrost the internal cold plate. Wipe dry and all that....

Get Damp Rid and the Calcium Chloride will collect misture and all you need to do is monitor that and replace the calcium chloride with a damp rid refill pack.

I keep one in my kegerator and my fermenter freezer..... always dry now....

Comment

I have had the same problem with frost. I had to adjust the thermostat, and it keeps the box around 35. I have just defrosted when I was cleaning the line after each keg. Does Damp Rid, keep all of the frost at bay? I am in SC and it is HOT! I do not open the box under any circumstance when the temp is right.

Comment

I have a single tap tower and 2 kegs inside. Sometimes I store a 12 pack of a BMC product for others.... the door opens a lot and with the damp rid in there I do not notice any frost build up.

For the record it's hot here too, I'm in So Cal and not on the coast....

Comment

Working...
                        X