Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screwy pressure? can keg last 7days?

howdy all:

after acin' all my classes, i HAD to get my 1st keg. i have the vissani, and i got the temp down last week to a nice 35 (according to a big jug of water in the kegerator). well, i bought a keg of moosehead, tapped it, and called it a day, right?

WRONG! lol.
    first, the cheapo coupler broke, so to engage it properly after screwing it in, i had to use a screwdriver and place what was left of the metal pin in the "notched" part. whew.

THEN, i discovered the dang REGULATOR was shot. no needle moving nowhere. FOOEY!

added to that, the temp of the beer is way too high (50 YIKES!), but we will check again in the am. (oh please moosehead gods, be kind....)

hence my question:
    without knowing my pressure (just that it is probably wrong), will my poor moosehead last 7 days until i can buy a new regulator? my student summer moulah doesn't arrive until then (and i am assuming i will be able to get the temp down to where it should be)

whaddya think?
    nina
    there once was a chick from pawtucket,
    whose hubby had just kicked the bucket,
    he'd brewed all da beer,
    which brought all da cheer,
    so she built a keg fridge
    and said !

beer. lubricating grad students since the dawn of man.

Nina,
    As long as you have pressure on it you won't loose the carbonation out of the beer.
    Somewhere on this site you'll fine a post regarding carbonation.
    If I remember correctly ... as long as you don't see bubbles in the beer line
    up by the spout, the carbonation is staying in the beer.
    Cubby or someone can verify this for me.
    Good luck and good grades !
    Steve

Comment

You probably don't need a new regulator just a new gauge. I had the same problem with my vissani it had a bad gauge. I ended up buying a new one at the shop where I get my CO2 filled it cost about $6.95. I also purchased the high pressure gauge so I will know how much CO2 is in the tank and be able chase down any line leaks, it cost another $7.00 but well worth it. Check the back of the regulator to see if it requires right or left hand threads. Just unscrew the plug on the high pressure side and tighten the gauge and don’t forget the Teflon thread tape. I also had problems with the cheap knock off coupler and have replaced it with a quality coupler my suggestion id ****** or micromatic. Also consider adding the computer fan with an old cell phone charger as a power supply it will really help keep the temperature steady in the fridge the compressor will cycle less often for shorter periods of time. All said and done the vissani has been a real challenge but I like challenges. I bought the unit as a close out at HD as an impulse buy and still have only about $250.00 invested including upgrades. Since completing the upgrades we are on our 4th 1/6 keg of perfectly chilled and poured Landshark Lager.
      "There's damsels in distress out there, and we got all this beer"
      -Jimmy Buffett

Comment

thanks b17 and script:

i appreciate your replies. i don't think the moosehead will rot, since i think it is pasteurized anyway (well, at least i think the lager is). i just don't want it flat. did a standard gauge fit on your regulator?

also, the plate in the back in the inside iced over. go figure! so i de-iced it, adn now i'm runnin' him again. we'll see what happens this go round. (didn't so this at all before i had a keg in it, but it was probably due to the door being open so long. kinda hard for one gal to get a keg in the fridge, lol!!!!)

nina
        he'd brewed all da beer,
        and said !

Comment

The gauges I purchased were for CO2 systems beer, pop ect. The shop I get my CO2 filled at services bars, restaurants so they have the gauges on hand all the time, just take your regulator with you so you are sure the threads are a correct fit. I found the shop listed under carbonics in the yellow pages.

I would guess you are correct about the open door and icing on the cooling plate. It’s funny everyone who checks out the kegerator wants to open the door and let the cold out. We had a party a few weeks ago so I put a piece of duck tape on the door to keep it closed and wrote on it “It isn’t cool to look”. By the way I do use Duck brand duct tape.
          "There's damsels in distress out there, and we got all this beer"
          -Jimmy Buffett

Comment

well, seeing as this kegerator is under warranty, i called the magic chef dudes to have them come fix all my problemos (for free). check out my shiny new pics: they brought my tower cap (i had to take my quik cap back since it didn't fit); they installed a shiny new regulator (the old one was shot); they installed a brand new coupler (the handle came of in my hands, fooey).

YAAAAAAAAAYYY!!!! no if i only had some more co2....well, still gotta wait till monday or tuesday. shucks...

hmm, i think i'll get berghoff next. yummy!
            nina
            Attached Files
            he'd brewed all da beer,
            and said !

Comment

Working...
            X