Does CO2 go bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does CO2 go bad?

I have a CO2 tank from years ago when I worked in the beer industry. It is a 10 gal tank at least. I had it filled when I left the business about 15 years ago. I have not used it in 8-10 years. I am breaking out the jockey box this weekend and was going to hook up the old CO2 tank to it.

Does CO2 go bad? The CO2 has got to be 15 years old. Any thoughts?

That's a good question. I'm not positive but I would think that after that much time the gas would be no good. Reason being... when you pressurize a gas a side effect is the production of moisture. Moisture sitting in the tank for that long can't be good. This is just my guess. I think that for the price of a Co2 bottle exchange you would be better off not risking it and getting fresh gas.

Comment

Plus the required psig, using co2, will over carbonate the beer if you are using a jockey box. Use a nitrogen blend to up the pressure w/o overcarbonating.
      Last edited by edramshaw; 06-06-2009, 06:34 PM.
      Ed
      Blue Line Draft Systems
      www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

The gas itself is fine. Co2 is two atoms of oxygen, and one atom of carbon, just as it was 15 years ago. The problem is the tank possibly being unsafe. The seals, etc. The tank is certainly out of date, they have to be tested and the seals replace every so many years.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Working...
        X