Bottling beer from the keg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottling beer from the keg?

I just found a couple of Grolsch beer bottles at a flea market this weekend and I went online to see if I could find some more and came a cross a bottle capper, I was condsidering getting a bottle capper like this one http://www.homebrewit.com/images/Red...er_135x144.jpg and bottling beer from the kegerator to take to parties and such. I saw on here before about using growlers and how they will usually only last a day or two. I didn't know if anyone knew if using a capper like this and actual bottle caps rather than the type with grolsch type gaskets would last longer.

I use both types (grolsch and regular capped) to bottle my home brew. Either lasts a LONG time. I supposed eventually the Grolsch rubber gasket would dry out, but that could take years unless you store it in an arid room. The problem with bottling kegged beers is that the beer comes out pretty fast, usually foaming up in a bottle, and then the beer has been exposed to air, which would cause it to oxidize. I think to bottle kegged beer, I would want to find a length of hose that slid over the end of the faucet, and extended down into the bottle bottom. Bottom filling is preferred, as it causes less foam, and less 'churning' of the beer, so less oxidation. Then, I would probably try to slow the pour down temporarily, by lowering the pressure to about 5 or 6 (shouldn't pose a problem short term), fill up a sixer or twelve bottles, then immediately return the pressure to the proper setting on the regulator. Also, let the bottles sit a minute prior to capping, to let a bit of co2 'push out' the air in the bottle.

A growler certainly lasts longer than a day or two, as long as the cap is on tight. I've had them in the fridge for a few weeks before opening and they were fine. Once opened for consumption, it's best to kill it the same night, but it's only 4 pints of beer, so I don't see how that should be a problem for most people. If 4 pints is too much, share!

Home Brew IPA

Comment

What size of tubing do I need to fit over the faucet. I was planning on getting about 6 foot of tube using the same idea as with when pouring to the faucet the longer the tube the slower the pour. As I looked online at the Grolsch bottles I got an awesome deal, 4 for a dollar. **** on ebay the same ones are going for as much at $15. 2 of the gaskets need replaced but that's like a quarter. But this also makes me want to just cap glass bottles as they are cheaper to come by and I can get 144 bottle caps for like $3.

Comment

If you are going to do it, do it right.

We no need no stinking beer gun... - Home Brew Forums
        Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
        but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

answer

you know, its much easier to use old water bottles. they work great. Just buy a case of pint water bottles, drink the water, wash them and save them. Fill as many as you want, and cap tight. The poured beer will last a month or more.

Comment

Thanks psychodad that's exactly what I am looking for.

Comment

Working...
            X