Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to look for when evaluating a used kegerator???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to look for when evaluating a used kegerator???

This is my first post, but have been reading for a few days. Lots and lots of great info and great support. I am building a bar in my house and planning on putting in a draft beer system. I am going to look at a True kegerator tomorrow that was built in 1985. The seller states it was used for 11 months in 1985 and has been in storage since. I have seen some posts about problems with kegerators that have been sitting for awhile. Seller is asking $275. Anyone with experience with a 20+ year old machine? Should it even be considered? If it needs some tuning up, would it be insanely costly (i.e. if the compressor works but fans are frozen, etc.)?

Any help appreciated. Looking at it tomorrow morning.

25 years old and even in storage for 24 I'd pass on this one. If the compressor itself hasn't seized all of the seals in it are likely shot. For future reference have the seller plug the unit in and turn it to it's coldest setting with a cup of water in it a few days before you want to look at it. Take a thermometer with you and see where it's at. At that time you'll be able to check fans and whatever else you like. It does no good to just turn it on when you get there cause even though the compressor may run it doesn't mean it will cool down to what it needs to be.

Keep an eye on craigslist in your area as there are always solid deals to be had on kegereators there.

Comment

Unless it is the door seals shuggy is talking about you should not have much of a problem. The thing to watch for is if the evaporator & condenser fan motors are still turning. The bearings could have dried out or rusted. The sealed system (compressor, evaporator etc) should be fine. There are no "seals" in one of those compressors.

THE ICEMAN
      My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
      "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
      -Dave Barry-
      "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
      Strong beer is the milk of the old."
      -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
      X