Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advantages of Double Gauge - CO2 Primary - Premium Series Regulator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantages of Double Gauge - CO2 Primary - Premium Series Regulator?

I have a Sanyo Kegerator and was curious about the advantages of purchasing the Double Gauge - CO2 Primary - Premium Series Regulator. As I understand it the current regulator I have only shows the pressure, not the amount left in the co2 tank.

With this upgrade what is the purpose of the second gauge?

Thanks
    "Stay thirsty my friends"
    - The most interesting man in the world.

The double guage reg doesn't show the amount of co2 left, either.

It reads the gas pressure in the tank, which is constant until the liquid co2 is gone. So once the tank pressure guage starts to drop, you knon you're almost out of co2, and need a refill ASAP. Otherwise, with a single guage, you don't know you're out of co2 until the beer flow starts to slow, which means you're OUT of co2, and your beer will be getting flatter with each pour.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

What size tank to you have? If you have a 5 pounder or smaller the double gauge will not do you any good. By the time you would notice the pressure drop it will be too late and the tank will be completely empty anyways.

Comment

Interesting. I have the 5 lber.

Comment

The problem is the tank will read as full whether there is 5 pounds or one drop of liquid co2 in it. Once your tank has run out of liquid the volume of gas is very small in a 5 pound tank and this is the point where the gauge will start to drop. Unless you watch it like a hawk you absolutely will run out of gas. I have a double gauge on my 5 pound tank and have never caught the pressure drop. I've always just ran out. You will be further ahead to put the money towards a spare tank. Then you'll never have to worry about running out of gas regardless of what regulator you have.

Comment

Originally posted by shuggy View Post
            What size tank to you have? If you have a 5 pounder or smaller the double gauge will not do you any good. By the time you would notice the pressure drop it will be too late and the tank will be completely empty anyways.

I have a 5lb tank, and the most recent time I noticed my high guage start to drop, I still poured 3 or 4 beers every night for a week until I was able to get a refill, and it never got to 0.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Originally posted by cubby_swans View Post
              I have a 5lb tank, and the most recent time I noticed my high guage start to drop, I still poured 3 or 4 beers every night for a week until I was able to get a refill, and it never got to 0.
              You must have the magic tank. Once a 5 pound tank only has gas and no liquid in it there shouldn't be any way to pour 21 - 28 beers from it before it hits 0. Have you ever just ran out?

Comment

I too have never had a problem with my five pound tank just going to zilch. There is a red zone near the bottom of my scale that says refill. Once I get into that area, I still have time to fill the tank as long as I don't wait too long.
                Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
                but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

So the consensus is the dual gauge is NOT a waste on the 5lb?

Comment

Originally posted by psychodad View Post
                    I too have never had a problem with my five pound tank just going to zilch. There is a red zone near the bottom of my scale that says refill. Once I get into that area, I still have time to fill the tank as long as I don't wait too long.
                    My tank is in the kegerator and never gets above the refill line even when it's just been refilled. We entertain a lot so it's easy for my system to get 60 - 100 pours at any given time. I'm sure if your system gets very little use it's considerably easier to not run out of gas. Having the spare tank rather than a secondary gauge is a better scenario because it doesn't matter if you run out of gas, you're always covered. I've got far more important things to worry about without having to keep an eye on a gauge.

Originally posted by DPIStorm
                    So the consensus is the dual gauge is NOT a waste on the 5lb?
                    If the double gauge will help make you feel all warm and fuzzy and your current regulator body has the plugged opening opposite the inlet stem you can just put a 0 - 3000 gauge on it.

I just know that if I had a perfectly fine working single gauge regulator I would absolutely buy a spare tank rather than replace a perfectly fine working single gauge regulator with a double gauge that may or may not do me any good.

Let's say it's a saturday evening and you have a house full of people. Would you rather have a gauge that will let you know you are almost out of gas or a spare tank to replace it when it runs out? How's that gauge going to help you here?

Scenario #1 - double gauge/no spare

You - "Well folks. My helpful little gauge here tells me I'm gonna run out of gas and there's no way to get it refilled until monday so the beer is going to stop pouring."

Everybody else - "That sucks. Don't you have a spare tank?"

You - "Nope. I thought that little gauge would solve all the world's problems."

Everybody else - "Remind us never to come here again."

Scenario #2 - single gauge/spare tank

Random guest - "This sucks. The beer just stopped pouring."

You - "The tank must be empty. No worries I have another tank ready to go."

Random guest - "You're the man. Would you like to bang my girlfriend?"

Comment

The dual guage reg is not even five bucks more why not just get it. If money is that tight you shouldn't be buying anything anyway..

Comment

Originally posted by mp_cs View Post
                        The dual guage reg is not even five bucks more why not just get it. If money is that tight you shouldn't be buying anything anyway..
                        You missed something along the way. OP wasn't asking if he should buy a single rather than a double. He wanted to know the advantages to replacing his perfectly fine single with a double.

Comment

You missed something along the way. OP wasn't asking if he should buy a single rather than a double. He wanted to know the advantages to replacing his perfectly fine single with a double.
                          Quoted for truth.

Comment

You must have the magic tank. Once a 5 pound tank only has gas and no liquid in it there shouldn't be any way to pour 21 - 28 beers from it before it hits 0. Have you ever just ran out?
                            It's not magic. Next time it happens, I'll invite you over, and we can count the beers it takes to get down to where it NEEDS to be replaced. If you can't make it over, I'll count them and report my findings. My tank showed about 100 psi when I last filled it, and it was a solid week, and I am certain I poured 20+ beers once I noticed the start of the decline. This is my third refill, and it's gone down the same way every time. After about 6 1/2 barrels on a tank or so, I usually take a peek at the regulator before the first beer of the night, almost every time. I've never ran out. Every time I've caught it when it started to decline. I've always been able to fill my tank before it was down to zilch and I've always had several days to plan to refill.

That said, I don't have a house full of people, ever. So if you're planning on parties and a boat load of beer being poured here and there, yeah, an extra co2 tank is something you should have.
                            Last edited by cubby_swans; 05-17-2009, 09:42 PM.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

OH, thanks for pointing that out....

Comment

Working...
                              X