Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long should a 5lb co2 tank last?

Hey guys just wonderin how long my 5lber should last? 1 keg,2 keg? Thanks

from what i have read around here it should last 8 kegs. i have gone through 3 in my system and it seems like it hasn’t budged~enjoy

Comment

It should last 6-8 kegs, thats what I have, and mine always lasts. To the guy that said his hasn't budged...it won't, until you are about to run out, then your gauage will start to move, and very fast. I keep mine in the fridge, and it read at around 750, even if its full, and stays there until its pretty much spent. I've heard that it does the same if its kept out of the keg as well, it'll read higher then if its cold, but it'll still stay in one spot until its pretty much empty.
      Last edited by shawnman81; 05-08-2009, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shinny keg View Post
        Hey guys just wonderin how long my 5lber should last? 1 keg,2 keg? Thanks
        This all depends where you get your bottle filled.

If you go to a beverage dist. that also will fill your co2 bottle until it is frosty on the outside, it will last you (baring leaks) a half dozen keg's or so, mabey more.

There also shop's that serve the fire extinguisher customer, they will also fill your tank with co2. These seam to last not as long.

Then there is the occasional beer store that will add co2 to your tank, equalizing pressure I think. This of course will not last as long as you want it too.

I think it is the old cliche you get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by doug ellis View Post
          I think it is the old cliche you get what you pay for.
          I agree with this rule of thumb. I do really think you get what you pay for, mostly. But a little consumer research goes a long way towards finding a true good deal.

I have a paintball shop that fills my tank up. It's been full each time. They charged me $10 flat to fill it in the past. Just last weekend, I went there, and struck up a casual conversation with the guy. I used to play paintball here and there. After he filled my tank, he says "Five bucks". It's not a matter of getting what you paid for, it's a matter of finding a place that fills it up right. They should put some co2 in it, and then vent it off to cool off the tank for a proper fill. They know how to fill a tank properly, because they're usually filling paint ball co2 tanks. A paintball co2 tank lasts xxx number of shots when full, and the people who play paintball rely on their tanks being filled properly to know how much co2 they have left based on how many paintballs they've used. When I played paintball, I knew how many shots my 20oz co2 tank lasted. So in the middle of the day, you knew when you had to get your tank filled so you didn't run out in the middle of the next game.

The answer to the question is about (8) 1/2 barrels out of a 5lb co2 tank, based on a proper fill, and assuming no leaks in the system. The rule of thumb is .6lbs of co2 per half barrel.

If you have an accurate scale at home, you can tell if you're getting a proper fill by weighing the tank. The tare weight (empty weight) of the tank should be stamped on the tank somewhere. If it weighs ~5lbs more than that after a fill, then you know you have a good fill. If you feel the weight is off, I would take it up with whomever filled it if you think it's worth it.
          Last edited by cubby_swans; 05-08-2009, 10:59 PM.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

5 lb co2 fill

Had my brand new 5lb tank filled at a local beer store. It didn't feel full by weight so I asked if they filled it all the way. The comment was... "We don't do liquid fills like the welding shops. This should last you about four 1/2 barrels". They only charged me $5.00 so I was happy.

Comment

Originally posted by cubby_swans View Post
              I agree with this rule of thumb. I do really think you get what you pay for, mostly. But a little consumer research goes a long way towards finding a true good deal.

I have a paintball shop that fills my tank up. It's been full each time. They charged me $10 flat to fill it in the past. Just last weekend, I went there, and struck up a casual conversation with the guy. I used to play paintball here and there. After he filled my tank, he says "Five bucks". It's not a matter of getting what you paid for, it's a matter of finding a place that fills it up right. They should put some co2 in it, and then vent it off to cool off the tank for a proper fill. They know how to fill a tank properly, because they're usually filling paint ball co2 tanks. A paintball co2 tank lasts xxx number of shots when full, and the people who play paintball rely on their tanks being filled properly to know how much co2 they have left based on how many paintballs they've used. When I played paintball, I knew how many shots my 20oz co2 tank lasted. So in the middle of the day, you knew when you had to get your tank filled so you didn't run out in the middle of the next game.

The answer to the question is about (8) 1/2 barrels out of a 5lb co2 tank, based on a proper fill, and assuming no leaks in the system. The rule of thumb is .6lbs of co2 per half barrel.

If you have an accurate scale at home, you can tell if you're getting a proper fill by weighing the tank. The tare weight (empty weight) of the tank should be stamped on the tank somewhere. If it weighs ~5lbs more than that after a fill, then you know you have a good fill. If you feel the weight is off, I would take it up with whomever filled it if you think it's worth it.
              That is one heck of a deal C. S., and some more good info on weights. I'll be looking for me a better source.

Comment

I hooked up my first keg this past week and the co2 lasted for 3 days. I checked it the 4th morning morning and it was completely gone. The night before it read 100% full on the gauge. Well obviously I guess I had a leak. Got co2 refilled and now drinking some pretty flat beer but don't want to waste the rest of the keg.

I had hose clamps on the co2 hose on each end (just the kind you get at home depot). I have now really tightened them down and am hoping that will be the answer. My questions is, should I be using a special kind of hose clamp made for gas hoses? I'm new here so ay help is greatly appreciated. Just reading through this board has already helped a ton.

Thanks...

Comment

I have cheap plastic hose clamps and have no leak issues. Check all your connections. Where the co2 tank attaches to the regulator is often a leak culprit.

The high pressure guage is not a volume guage. It's a pressure guage of the co2 gas in your tank. Your tank will have the same pressure in it until all of the liquid co2 has evaporated. So that guage will not start to go down until your tank is very near empty.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

thanks for all the feedback, found a couple slow leaks using soapy water. Get mine filled at the local beer store where I purchase the kegs,refills free when you get a keg so, 80.00 out the door for a keg a Bud/Budlight and a refill a CO2.

Comment

Working...
                    X