Dayton Blower Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton Blower Question

I see that the orignal Dayton blower (15 CFM) model # 2C782 has been discontinued. Dayton has replaced that model with # 1TDN2 (12 CFM).

I had a DC rigged blower but I wan't to switch over to something more professional looking. I can get the newer dayton blower for about $45 locally.

On the MM site. they listed the current as .3 amps for the older model. This unit however is rated at .08 amps. Seems like it'll be better 9 watts vs. 35 watts.

Are units like this huge heat sources inside the case and not worth it for smaller units?

I would say yes, I bought one of the 2C782 units and had sweet looking blower for my tower but when I was done it increased my internal temp of the fridge about 10 degrees. So i am now working on putting another PC fan to draw air up in my tower.

Comment

the older model was drawing .3 amps...this one is only claiming .08 amps...that's about the same as a DC unit.

Comment

The current may be close to the same between the ac and dc units, but the voltage isn't. Your looking at 120vac vs 12 vdc. So your at 9 watts for the ac unit an about 1.2 watt for a dc unit at about .1 amp. 9 watts is alot less heat than 35, but 1 watt is better yet.

Comment

I def. agree with you. I had a decent DC set-up in there but I was tired of the way it looked....even though it was a clean install, it always looked jerry rigged to me...

I think a nice blower will be a better addition and will have more constant flow. If my local place has it tomorrow I think I'll just pick it up and give it a shot. Hopefully the 9 watts doesn't make a drastic difference in cooling. I'm much happier that it draws .08amps vs. the .3.

Comment

Well just as an update.....

I installed the blower the other day. I used some 1" washer machine drain hose to run the air up to the tower. I also opened up the tower to 3". and made a nice clean install using some aluminum sleeves and fittings to clean up the openeing. Very professional looking.

This little dayton blower moves a ton of air for its little size. I was curious about the heat that it generates, so I left it plugged in for a few hours outside of the fridge. After a lot of time had passed I felt the temp of the motor and I can honestly say that it didn't feel hot at all, no hotter than ambient temps (60deg).

So far, very happy with the unit, and it works much better than the DC unit I was running before. I have not done any other mods to the Danby other than move the temp sensor to the front, and install a resistor (not the 33k) to get the temp display to read the actual temp as varified by my thermometer. With the addition of this blower, the interior temp seems to get even lower than before. I used to set the temp to 36 and it would read about 38deg (beer temp) after my pour. Now, the temp is reading much lower (35deg beer temp) at the same thermostat setting. I'm assuming that the blower is circulating the air much better within the unit.

Overall very happy with the performance and the $50 price tag to do the new mods.

Comment

Working...
            X