Question About Fridge Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Fridge Conversion

Hello All! I'm new here & am in the process of finding a refrigerator for a conversion for my garage. As I was at an appliance store checking-out some "scratch & dents", a sales guy tells me that s refrigerator will not operate if the temperature in the garage is below 50°F.

Has anybody else heard this?

Thanks,

Don

He's wrong. It will work fine. My Mom has a fridge in her garage that gets well below 50 in the winter & it works fine.

THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
      He's wrong. It will work fine. My Mom has a fridge in her garage that gets well below 50 in the winter & it works fine.

THE ICEMAN
      Don't be so quick about that. I have one in my garage and it is very flakey in the winter. When it gets really cold out my freezer goes into defrost mode and we need to watch that things don't thaw out. We end up cranking the system to "colder" but then when it warms up outside our soda freezes.

I had a 1970's avacodo colored one (sucked power like crazy) that was just great in the winter but we had it put down for the enviroment sake (and my power bill !!)

My advise is to grab the manual (usually located inside the fridge) at the appliance store and check the specs.
      " ... I'm fortunate to have a chemical engineering background, and one of the things I enjoy most is converting beer, wine, scotch, etc into urine...."

Comment

Originally posted by Jay1 View Post
        Don't be so quick about that. I have one in my garage and it is very flakey in the winter. When it gets really cold out my freezer goes into defrost mode and we need to watch that things don't thaw out.
        Doubtful. Those units use defrost timers to initiate defrost. They are not temperature dependent to go into defrost. More likely is that you have temperature control issues. The temperature control is located in the cooler portion of the unit. If the cooler portion never rises above a certain temp, the unit will not run, it will not sense the need. This is why things "defrost" in the freezer section.

For a fridge conversion this should not be an issue unless you still wanted to use the freezer for food storage.

THE ICEMAN
        My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
        "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
        -Dave Barry-
        "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
        Strong beer is the milk of the old."
        -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
        X