No announcement yet.

How long will keg beer keep if bottled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long will keg beer keep if bottled?

I have a kegerator with a keg of coors light. I am going camping and was wondering if I could bring some beer with me in a sealed bottle. Will it keep for a couple days if I keep it cold? Will a 2 liter coke bottle work for the short term?

Originally posted by sauce View Post
    I have a kegerator with a keg of coors light. I am going camping and was wondering if I could bring some beer with me in a sealed bottle. Will it keep for a couple days if I keep it cold? Will a 2 liter coke bottle work for the short term?
    You may want to look into getting a Growler rather than a Coke bottle.
    From Wiki...
    Growler
    A growler is a U.S. half gallon (1890 ml/66.6 imp fl oz) glass jug used to transport draft beer in the United States. They are commonly sold at breweries and brewpubs as a means to sell take-out beer. Some breweries also offer a one-litre or one-quart version. Growlers are also used by homebrewers as an alternative to kegs or smaller bottles for carbonating and storing their beer.
    Growlers are generally made of glass and have either a screw-on cap or a hinged porcelain gasket cap which can provide freshness for a week or more. A properly sealed growler will hold carbonation indefinitely, but it is not an appropriate means of long term beer storage since it is not a sanitized form of packaging. The first brewery in the United States to use glass growlers was Otto Brothers Brewery now Grand Teton Brewing in Victor, ID, which is also home to Wildlife Brewing.[citation needed] Growlers got their name from the sound that the CO2 made when it escaped from the lid as the beer sloshed around. It likely dates back to the late 19th century when fresh beer was carried from the local pub to one's home by means of a small-galvanized pail. [2]

THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

That's Great!

I hate buying a six (18)pack to take to a party or other event knowing I've got it cheaper at home.
      SEAN
      I cool my tower with Beer.
      http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

Growlers

I looked around the Googler and found some neat growlers. I already have one from Abita Beer, but the cap is missing. I've been using it as a mantle piece for years. I went to their website and ordered 2($5 a piece), and should be able to travel well. Their growler has a screw on cap, so I don't think the shelf life will be very long (shelf life isn't long in my house anyway). Others I found were over $20, but nicer with a ceramic Grolsh(sp) type ceramic cap, with gasket.
        SO, I went ahead and ordered a whole bunch of other crap I absolutely don't need. WTF, its Friday.
        SEAN

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
          You may want to look into getting a Growler rather than a Coke bottle.
          From Wiki...
          Growler
          A growler is a U.S. half gallon (1890 ml/66.6 imp fl oz) glass jug used to transport draft beer in the United States. They are commonly sold at breweries and brewpubs as a means to sell take-out beer. Some breweries also offer a one-litre or one-quart version. Growlers are also used by homebrewers as an alternative to kegs or smaller bottles for carbonating and storing their beer.
          Growlers are generally made of glass and have either a screw-on cap or a hinged porcelain gasket cap which can provide freshness for a week or more. A properly sealed growler will hold carbonation indefinitely, but it is not an appropriate means of long term beer storage since it is not a sanitized form of packaging. The first brewery in the United States to use glass growlers was Otto Brothers Brewery now Grand Teton Brewing in Victor, ID, which is also home to Wildlife Brewing.[citation needed] Growlers got their name from the sound that the CO2 made when it escaped from the lid as the beer sloshed around. It likely dates back to the late 19th century when fresh beer was carried from the local pub to one's home by means of a small-galvanized pail. [2]

THE ICEMAN
          Dude I thought a growler was something you took after eating mexican food.

I am going to have to get a few of those just because of how cool they look. Will a couple of two liter coke bottles keep for two days. Even if I am opening and closing it.

Comment

coke

It lasts a long time in a 2 liter bottle. You're gonna do it even if we say don't.
            Let us know how your trip goes.
            SEAN

Comment

Home brewers take brew on the go all the time. You are going to lose some carbonation just from dispensing it into the bottle. This device will help pressurize the bottle after filling.

Carbonator Cap - Keg Supplies - High Gravity

You would also need a ball lock fitting on your co2 line.
              Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
              but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

I have that exact growler and it is awesome! I think it was only $25 or so...

Comment

I have two growlers from local brew pubs that I fill with keg beer when I go to a party. The brew pub downtown here charges $11 for a full growler and $8.50 for a refill. So the growler cost me $2.50.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Originally posted by cubby_swans View Post
                    I have two growlers from local brew pubs that I fill with keg beer when I go to a party. The brew pub downtown here charges $11 for a full growler and $8.50 for a refill. So the growler cost me $2.50.
                    Sounds like the best to place to get a growler is at a brew pub. Thanks for the info.

Comment

When I travel, I call a brewpub at my destination and talk to the manager there about doing "growler trade" - Trade you my empty local growler for your empty growler and then I'll just fill it there. Started because I'd bring my BF growlers from my travels. So, if anyone out there wants to do some trades for Triumph Brewing (Princeton, NJ), drop me a note!

Comment

Seriously I never even thought of this... How long will beer stay reasonably fresh in a growler after opening... I plan on buying one and using it when I go golfing instead of having to buy a six pack... If kept in a cooler and closed inbetween drinks will it still be carbinated after 4 hours riding around in a golf cart?

Comment

Originally posted by bonefish View Post
                          I looked around the Googler and found some neat growlers. I already have one from Abita Beer, but the cap is missing. I've been using it as a mantle piece for years. I went to their website and ordered 2($5 a piece), and should be able to travel well. Their growler has a screw on cap, so I don't think the shelf life will be very long (shelf life isn't long in my house anyway). Others I found were over $20, but nicer with a ceramic Grolsh(sp) type ceramic cap, with gasket.
                          SO, I went ahead and ordered a whole bunch of other crap I absolutely don't need. WTF, its Friday.
                          SEAN
                          Thanks.... I just ordered two of these Growlers form Abita myself. I probably could have used a old cider jug from the shed but WTF, its Wednesday.... (G)

Comment

I've used 2/3L soda bottles quite successfully when taking home brew on the go. You do loose some carbonation but if you fill the bottle up to the threads you wont loose very much. Also a tip, find a beverage hose that you can put over your faucet that will reach to the bottom of the bottle, way less foam that way. Soda bottles are cheap, so if you loose it while camping you won't be sad, unless it was full. Good luck.
                            Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with Tabasco and home brew

Comment

Originally posted by mark_ksz View Post
                              Seriously I never even thought of this... How long will beer stay reasonably fresh in a growler after opening... I plan on buying one and using it when I go golfing instead of having to buy a six pack... If kept in a cooler and closed inbetween drinks will it still be carbinated after 4 hours riding around in a golf cart?

I'd say you'd be good for maybe the front nine. The 4 hours itself wouldn't be the issue. I've had several growlers that I've drank over a period of 4 or more hours and they were still good at the end, but that was in my home. I would think the bouncing around in the cart would cause the beer to go flat pretty quickly once you have some headspace in the growler. Bring two growlers. Share one with whomever you're golfing with so you can kill it pretty quickly. Then have a growler for the front and one for the back
                              Last edited by cubby_swans; 03-12-2009, 09:09 AM.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Working...
                              X