Another Danby Success Story!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Danby Success Story!

I first want to thank all of you who read threads and posts and share all your knowledge about beer, kegs, and equipment. This forum has helped me tremendously!

I bought a Danby Kegerator from Sam's Club recently. I ordered an extra temperture sensor from Danby, $9.00 shipped. I went to Radio Shack and bought 24AWG solid speaker wire, wire clips, and a 5 pack of 33k ohm resistors. I soldered the resistor in the new sensor, extended the sensor up to the top left of the unit and put the original sensor in a box for safe keeping. I then bought a tower cooling kit that a guy sells on Ebay. He makes them himself with blower, not a cooling fan. Works really well. I then bought two thermometers, one with a remote unit that sits on the keg (it displays the temperature in the unit as well as in my basement room), and the other is for measuring the temp in the glass. I also bought a stainless steel drip tray that drains into the unit.

The result?

A fine looking kegerator that delivers 36 degree beer everytime! It is amazing!
    I do plan on upgrading the Danby regulator to a Micromatic one. The Danby regulator is too touchy. Not horrible, it works, just have to watch it.

Thank you to all of you for your help!

Originally posted by washingtonbc View Post
    I first want to thank all of you who read threads and posts and share all your knowledge about beer, kegs, and equipment. This forum has helped me tremendously!

I bought a Danby Kegerator from Sam's Club recently. I ordered an extra temperture sensor from Danby, $9.00 shipped. I went to Radio Shack and bought 24AWG solid speaker wire, wire clips, and a 5 pack of 33k ohm resistors. I soldered the resistor in the new sensor, extended the sensor up to the top left of the unit and put the original sensor in a box for safe keeping. I then bought a tower cooling kit that a guy sells on Ebay. He makes them himself with blower, not a cooling fan. Works really well. I then bought two thermometers, one with a remote unit that sits on the keg (it displays the temperature in the unit as well as in my basement room), and the other is for measuring the temp in the glass. I also bought a stainless steel drip tray that drains into the unit.

The result?

A fine looking kegerator that delivers 36 degree beer everytime! It is amazing!
    I do plan on upgrading the Danby regulator to a Micromatic one. The Danby regulator is too touchy. Not horrible, it works, just have to watch it.

Thank you to all of you for your help!
    Just don't get why Danby doesn't do this in the first place? How much could it add to the price?

Comment

Originally posted by jhon View Post
      Just don't get why Danby doesn't do this in the first place? How much could it add to the price?
      Upgrading the regulator would cut into their profits for sure (although maybe not as much as unhappy customers do) as quality regulators such as the premium ones sold here would cost them more per unit than the cheap Draught Technologies one do. However fixing the issues with the inaccurate temperature display would be as cheap as the resistor mods many people do.

The Danby really isn't all that bad, but these two issues sure make it seem so.
      Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
      but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Originally posted by psychodad View Post
        Upgrading the regulator would cut into their profits for sure (although maybe not as much as unhappy customers do) as quality regulators such as the premium ones sold here would cost them more per unit than the cheap Draught Technologies one do. However fixing the issues with the inaccurate temperature display would be as cheap as the resistor mods many people do.

The Danby really isn't all that bad, but these two issues sure make it seem so.
        But I would have purchased one in a heartbeat for 50 bucks more, even a hundred more. (Or the other similar brands with similar problems) if they would just fix these things. Who wants to drink warm foamy beer?

I read the nightmares (And there are lots of them) on this forum from someone who is excited have their very own beer machine only to have warm foamy beer. Usually from people who purchased before they did research. Me, I found this forum first and then made my purchase. I have been happy since day one. The only modification I did was reverse the door. (At my wife’s request and I did not ask why) I got it home, reversed the door and let it sit for a day. I turned it on, set the dial and let it sit for another day. They I bought home a 1/2 keg and a tank of cO2 and I have had flawless pours ever since. No kits, no blowers, no soldering, no nothing. The only things I have ever done are change the keg and clean the lines. I have never even adjusted the dial; it is right where I set it on day one.
        That to me, is how things should work.

Comment

Danbys are not all bad! I've had mine for a couple of weeks, with no mods done to it, and i get perfect pours almost every time! Even the first pour of the day only gives about and inch and a half of foam, which is much better than some of the stories i hear about other peoples danbys. I dont know if I got lucky or if Danby has worked out some of their flaws, but I do know theres nothing better than getting home form work and pouring myself an ice cold pint of that sweet sweet beer.

(also, with no mods done to it, my beer temp is at 36.9 degrees)

Comment

good to hear!

Comment

Maybe they have fixed some of the issues! Mine is brand new, doesn't have a defrost cycle and only has a 4.5 degree differential! I never did try it before I did the 33k resistor mod but it works phenomenal now!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsy Pete View Post
                Maybe they have fixed some of the issues! Mine is brand new, doesn't have a defrost cycle and only has a 4.5 degree differential! I never did try it before I did the 33k resistor mod but it works phenomenal now!!!
                Ive noticed that the LED display on my new Danby only fluctuates about 3degrees. It goes from 34 to 37, generally hovering around 36 which is what I have it set at. I dont have a thermometer in the unit itself to monitor interior temperature, but when i did the beer temp of a second pour it came out right around 37. All in all i am very pleased with my purchase

Comment

Danby owners

The data sticker / plate on the back should have the build date on it. Would be interesting to build a data base on this based on build date vs how good it works out of the box.

Comment

I agree lunkhead. It would be interesting to see if Danby has fixed these little issues that cause big problems.
                    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
                    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Thats a really good idea. I will check my fabrication date when i get home from work today.

Comment

I' will buy a brand new Danby from Costco here in Canada in the next few weeks, I'll let you know what problem occurs and what date is on it.

Comment

My danby DKC645 was built Oct 2005. Started out with beer in the low 40's and a nice long defrost cycle.

Comment

Working...
                          X