Beverage Air vs Micromatic (Pro-Line)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beverage Air vs Micromatic (Pro-Line)

First off, hello! I have been lurking for a few weeks and did a few searches, only to turn up nothing answering my question. However, I did learn a lot about C02, temperature, line cleaning, beer life-expectancy, and many other things! So I have decided to join and become active to learn a bit more.

Admittedly, I am not a huge beer drinker, but I host a weekly poker game and have people over for football and BBQs, so I have decided that it is time to step up and get a kegerator. I do enjoy a nice Sam Adams, Blue Moon, Heineken, or Sierra Nevada from time-to-time, though.

I am looking specifically at purchasing the BevAir BM23S or the Pro-Line (Micromatic?) MDD23s. I prefer the looks and the price of the Pro-Line (~$200 cheaper and stainless steel rail guards) but would also consider the BevAir if it is of greater quality or much quieter compressor. Although, these two seem to be very close in specs, design, and asthetics.

Any suggestions or insight on either of the two? Pros/Cons? Good or bad experiences? I am also open to other brand suggestions.

I don't really have a budget, but think it would be silly to spend thousands on a kegerator since I rarely drink. The $500 kegerators seem too cheap looking (i like the stainless steel look), and I've read a few bad stories about how they don't last, and how many people recommend the commercial grade ones, so the $1000-$1500 price range sounds fair enough to me.

Thank you!

I am pretty sure Bev-Air makes the Micromatic units. No one from MM has confirmed this but I'm pretty sure they are.
    Ed
    Blue Line Draft Systems
    www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

Info from Micromatic

I have had similar questions and concerns, and received the following (minimal) information back from Micromatic:

My question to Micromatic:

I would be curious as to whether or not the Pro-Line is private labeled based on some other manufacturer's base design. If I need to have the kegerator worked on in the future, is this a design based on a Beverage Air or True or UBC unit?

The email answer from Greg Thomas at Micromatic:

The Pro-Line series refrigeration units are designed by Micro-Matic. It is manufactured in Mexico and all warranty work is handled here in the U.S.

My question to Micromatic:

Do you have any additional information available on your Pro-Line single-tap kegerator?

The email answer from Greg Thomas at Micromatic:

We have made an effort to provide as much information as possible on the product page of the equipment we offer. Below I have included the link to our Kegerator section of the web site. Simply click on the more info tab of any particular unit to view it's specifications. [note: no link was included in my email; my assumption is that the intent was to point back to the website info on the Micromatic site, which I had already reviewed]

I'd welcome any additional information or comments from the Micromatic folks who are presumably monitoring the site. I'd agree with you that there is little or no information available on the Pro-Line series outside of the minimal info on the website page.

Comment

I'd like to bump this thread back up to current as I too am heavily comparing the MM23 to the BM23. I'm also on the fence with respect to going black or stainless exterior. I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone can offer on these. Similar to the post above, I'm not real budget sensitive so a few bucks more for the B-A makes sense if I can get a compelling reason why.

Similarly, if there is a longevity, quietness, or some other benefit to going stainless I'm interested too (the cosmetic of black v. stainless isn't a driver for me). One other thought on the black versus stainless question is that the weight of the BM23-B vs the BM23-S is the same and I seem to recall that stainless weighs more than non-stainless steel of the equal grade thickness. Does the identical weight of the units then mean that the BM23-S is a lesser grade of steel?

My last observation I wanted to share was that as part of my research, I contacted MM cust. serv. and was surprised by their policy to not match competitors prices on the B-A products, but rather they tried to position me into their MM23 "house brand" unit. That doesn't sit the greatest with me and may be a factor in my ultimate purchase.

Thanks in advance with any comments.

Regards,
        Greg

Comment

Bev Air (a division of Carrier) equipment is made in South Carolina. Months back I asked a MM customer service rep who made their equipment. He was vague on the answer, but said it was not Bev Air or True. I find it odd MM is so tight lipped about who actually manufacturers this thing. Mexico??? Here is a possibility-(clip from the company website)

"Hello, we are Excelente International Refrigeration Corporation!
          Excelente Refrigeration, manufactures and supplies merchandising equipment to the largest, midsize, and smallest of beverage industry customers, food industry, and grocery / convenience store markets for, now over 18 years in Mexico, North America, Central and South America! Our management has over a combined 50 years of beverage and food industry equipment manufacturing experience!
          We are a "Custom" cooler manufacturer! Electric or Ice
          !"

Could be??? Hard to say. Anyway......................

MM warranty is on par with Bev Air, so that's a good thing. It would be interesting (and advisable) to find out exactly WHO will provide service in your area (if necessary) should you buy the MM unit. Finding a repair outlet for Bev Air and True is pretty straightforward, and I have a choice of companies who are authorized.

Bev Air has treated me well over the years; not to say MM wouldn't do the same. Kind of like Ford trucks: the F150 is a tried and true entity. Not saying the most recent offering from another less-established manufacturer would be a bad thing, but do you really need the uncertainty??
          "One more night like this will put me six feet under"
          Gram Parsons

Comment

Oh....stainless vs black on the BM23?

Exterior trim-everything else is the same
            Gram Parsons

Comment

For the price difference would go with the Bev air.As far as S/S vs black would go black. A few years down the road the stainless will have scratches and maybe some small dents and will look like sh_+.
              What I got:
              Beverage Air #BM23
              with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
              -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
              -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
              -MM S/S Keg Couplers
              YouTube video of the goods

Comment

They are the same thing. One has a Nike logo and other has a New Balance logo.
                My Home Bar: Baier's Taphouse

Kegs to Date: (11)Yuengling (8)Coors Light (6)Bud Light (5)Blue Moon (4)Natural Light (3)Sam Adams Oktoberfest (2)Misfit Red (2)National Bohemian (1)Miller Lite (1)Fat Tire Amber Ale

Comment

A few years back Micro Matic approached Bev Air (MM sells a considerable number of their units) and requested changes to their design so that they would be even more "beer" friendly. They indicated that their design was just fine and determined that they would not make any changes.

Micro Matic then decided to work with another vendor who manufactures refrigeration units (Fagor) and they began to build units per our design (beer friendly). We had some hiccups during initial designs but eventually these models we now sell are being readily accepted by numerous satisfied customers and are in operation throughout the country with great results.

We actually had our technical director virtually live at their plant for a while evaluating every step of the process all the way to packaging. I'm happy he was involved because of his incredibly attention to details. Pricing is in most cases 24% less then other commercial units. Yes we still sell Bev Air although the numbers are dwindling.

I'm not going to get into sales anymore than I should here but If I had a choice of purchasing a kegerator designed by folks who understand beer, is less than other commercial units and the bugs have been worked out (we even designed a special pallet for shipping), I would choose the Pro-Line.
                  Last edited by Scott Zuhse; 03-18-2011, 11:00 AM.
                  Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Thank you for ending the mystery.
                    Gram Parsons

Comment

To bad anything Fagor makes is still CRAP.... Try getting a part for them 5 years from now..Hmm
                      What I got:
                      Beverage Air #BM23
                      -MM S/S Keg Couplers

Comment

We do not rely on Fagor directly for service or replacement parts. A national service program supporting the Pro-line refrigeration products is in place with replacement parts inventory available out of PA.
                        Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

From Nordon?? They always have to order any part I ever tried to get from them.Maybe just my luck??I not to familiar with Fagor refrigeration but if its anything like there commercial dishwashers I wouldnt touch even if it was free
                          What I got:
                          Beverage Air #BM23
                          -MM S/S Keg Couplers

Comment

Working...
                          X