No announcement yet.

Back for help on FOAM problems AGAIN!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back for help on FOAM problems AGAIN!!

I have a remote dispense 5 feet from the kegerator (converted freezer). Innitially, I had 12' for 1/4 ID beer line, but recently changed to 12' of 3/16 ID due to foam issues. After changing the beer line I purchased a new keg and let it settle a few hours before tapping it and it seemed to pour fine the first day, but the following week it's EXTREMELY foamy. I have a lot of time and money in this project so I'd REALLY like to have it working properly. Any advice???

Some additional info:

Kegerator temp: 33 - 35 degs
    PSI is 12-13 (Miller-lite)
    My Elevation is approx 30' above sea level

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What is the beer temperature? I suspect that if it is as cold as your kegerator is that after a week you became over carbonated. Also do you have a tower or shanks? If your tower is not cooled, it is going to be quite a bit warmer than the keg, but this is generally just a problem on the first pour.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Psychodad, thanks for the quick reply. I've read quite a bit of your other posts and thought my beer might be to cold / over carbonated based on your other replies.

I have an air cooled tower. I'm not sure how cold the tower is, but it's VERY cold to the touch, so I don't think that short run from kegerator to tower is my problem. I'm not exactly sure what my beer temp is, because I don't have a very good thermometer, but it's something like 35 - 36 degrees (a couple deg's higher then the kegerator).

Comment

Get a thermometer that you can trust to be accurate. You can check it with an ice bath. If your temperature is what you think it is, your pressure you are at isn't too off. Keep in mind that if the carbonation level of the beer is off, simply raising and lowering the psi isn't a quick fix. However you can vent some of the gas off and then shake the keg a bit to get some of the co2 out of solution. This carbonation takes a while to reach equilibrium.
        Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
        but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Thanks Again... I'm not sure what an "ice bath" is, but I will look into getting a new thermometer. I've disconnected my CO2 becuase it's low (the max pressure is 11PSI so I'll be getting a refill tomorrow). I also shook the keg and released some of the pressure. I'll reconnect the full CO2 bottle tomorrow and try to get it to 12PSI. After it settles, I'll attempt a pour and see if having to much CO2 was the problem and post my results.

Comment

An "ice bath" is simply lots of crushed ice and just enough cold water in a big enough cup or bucket to insert the thermometer. It should read 32 degrees. If the thermometer can be calibrated than do it. If not, do the math based on the error at 32 degrees.

Comment

Okay.... Any advice on an inexpensive thermometer?

Comment

You could try the cooking aisle in a grocery store, any hardware store, harbor freight, here, http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...s-cid-100.html This is what I use Amazon.com: CDN Proaccurate Stainless Digital Thermometer: Kitchen & Dining

Comment

thanks again... that Dial Thermometer is what I'm using now. I'll try the ice bath tomorrow to see how accurate it is.

Comment

That dial thermometer can be calibrated. Just look for the small nut where the stem enters the face. Loosen the nut and twist the face until it reads 32 then tighten the nut. I have one of them also and found out it was reading almost 2 deg too low. Works good through beer temp range but is about a degree low at 65 and higher.

Comment

Working...
                    X