CHEST FREEZER Vs. KEG-O-RATOR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHEST FREEZER Vs. KEG-O-RATOR

Iv'e been doing a lot of research for setting up my home beer set-up.

One costant problem i have seen with a lot of Kegorators is keeping the temperature low enough...It seems that converting a deepfreezer into kegorator using a temperature controller is a much easier and more reliable set-up.

If this is true than why don't more people go that route?

From what info I have gathered you can get a brand new 7.2 Cf deep freezer for $225.99 on sale, and that should fit all you equipment for 2 1/6 kegs, CO2, and a blower.

I think a chest freezer conversion is the best bet. As you see on here most people on here with a chest freezer don't run into as many problems. The main problems are cooling the tower (which is an easy fix). I think some people might think it would be to difficult to do themselves so the opt for the prebuilt kegerators and run into problems with shotty parts. Other people my not beable to lift the keg up to get it into the chest freezer. In my opinion a chest freezer conversion gets you the most bang for your buck and it looks nicer than a converted refridgerator.

Comment

plus with my setup, the freezer will not be located in my bar it will be on the opposite side of the wall with the remote draw modifications using insulated PVC and cooling the beer line with a blower located in the freezer...seems like the best bet.

My only question is now to instal using a beer tower placed on my bar or use a shank and mount faucet directly to the wall.

Comment

My setup involves an upright deep freezer. I don't have any problems with temperature, and I have the tap coming out through the door (no tower).

Best of both worlds, imo.

Comment

A chest freezer is great, if your plan is 1/6 barrels. I prefer 1/2 barrels though. Sixtels just seem to cost to much, to me. Feel like I'm getting ripped off when a sixtel of something costs $60, and a 1/2 barrel costs $120. So a third of the beer for half the price. I could get a 1/2 barrel into a chest freezer, but maybe not 5 or 10 years from now.
          Last edited by cubby_swans; 12-17-2008, 09:59 PM.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Originally posted by theSunshineScooter View Post
            My setup involves an upright deep freezer. I don't have any problems with temperature, and I have the tap coming out through the door (no tower).

Best of both worlds, imo.

Were I looking into getting a kegerator today, this what I'd be looking into..
            Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
            but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Here's what I made for homebrew...

Here's a look at the kegerator I made some time ago. I chose a chest freezer as the foundation for the kegerator to keep things simple and compact. I learned that chest freezers maintain a more consistent temperature with the door open for any period of time, such as when I'm using my BeerGun to bottle from a keg. I chose the collar approach rather than a tower to keep things a little more simple. The tower can pose challenges in maintaining a consistent temperature to the faucet and affects ease of opening the lid and keeping it open. I'm opening the thing more than you might think... sometimes just to admire it!

I started with the Holiday 5.3 cu ft chest freezer from Lowes. I made the collar and rolling bottom tray from hardwood and painted them to compliment the freezer finish. No one can believe they are made from wood, they look like painted metal. The collar is mounted with a proprietary system I designed to make it easy to install and completely removable without any damage to the freezer. The freezer simply sits on the caster mounted bottom tray and lifts off if necessary.

I used pretty high quality components, including Vent-Matic faucets and stainless shanks with removable ends attached with wing nuts for easy removal for a thorough cleaning.

The CO2 distributor has an additional 4th port for other temporary uses even while there are three kegs attached. I also have a dual regulator setup, which allows me to push wine at a lower pressure through one of the faucets. It's all perfectly balanced with tubing lengths calculated to produce the perfect pour without an any excessive foaming.

A digital temp controller on the back and a nice big stainless drip tray on the front makes it all functional.

I'm curious if anyone thinks there a market for selling a collar and tray conversion kit comprised of what you see here without the freezer, CO2 bottle/regulator, kegs and drip tray? It would sure make putting a quality kegerator together a lot easier. Could make them to suit larger freezer models with more faucets as well. What do you all think?

Thanks.

Comment

Keggiemaker, please check your private message.
                Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Just finished my chest freezer conversion. Have 2 half barrels, one CO2 tank, one nitrogen tank, and room for more. I think it's an 18cu footer. I much prefer the look of a tower over shanks.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I'm with Cubby, lifting a 1/2 into a chest in 5 to 10 years will be a non option for me. My converted fridge is doing great, and the ability to have mugs in the freezer above, plus the ice maker for other party needs made my fridge conversion a no brainer.

Brian

Originally posted by cubby_swans View Post
                    A chest freezer is great, if your plan is 1/6 barrels. I prefer 1/2 barrels though. Sixtels just seem to cost to much, to me. Feel like I'm getting ripped off when a sixtel of something costs $60, and a 1/2 barrel costs $120. So a third of the beer for half the price. I could get a 1/2 barrel into a chest freezer, but maybe not 5 or 10 years from now.
                    On Tap: Corny of a Hombrewed American Pale Ale, Corny of Homebrewed Cherry Wheat and Remain of a Miller Lite half tranfered into a Corny! Now an official Homebrewer.

Dead: (7) 1/2's of Miller Lite, (1) 1/2 of Blue Moon (6) 1/6's of Blue Moon, (4) 1/6's of Shocktop (2) 1/6's of Landshark Lager (1) 1/4 Yuengling, (1) 1/6 Victory Summer Love (1) 1/6 of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale (1) 1/6 Shipyard Prelude.

Comment

I've got a chest freezer and it works great! No problem getting the temp you want. No excuse for not having the coldest beer possible.

But getting a 1/2 barrel in it by myself, well it is a chore. I'm 53 now and not nearly as strong as I used to be. I can still do it, but it is nice to have help. The only problem with having help is getting them to leave, especially since they know you have a full keg in the chest. LOL

Lately I have been buying 1/4 barrels, but that is more costly, and you have to make twice as many trips to the beer store.

One of these days I'll either switch to a kegerator or rig up some kind of hoist to help get the kegs in the chest.

Comment

Originally posted by bkl63 View Post
                        I'm with Cubby, lifting a 1/2 into a chest in 5 to 10 years will be a non option for me. My converted fridge is doing great . . .
                        Agree with bkl63 (as well as cubby & elsie).
                        Last edited by whutever; 12-30-2008, 10:24 PM.
                        Beer - the 5th food group!

Comment

The Help in lifting is nice, but like was stated getting them to leave is the hard part and the saving is quickly drank. I just had to replace my 1/6 of Blue Moon and man it was nice and easy. When I was in college and could carry 1/2 in each arm it was nice with 1/2's but as I push 50, it's not something I look forward to.

Brian

Originally posted by whutever View Post
                          Agree with bkl63 (as well as cubby & elsie).
                          On Tap: Corny of a Hombrewed American Pale Ale, Corny of Homebrewed Cherry Wheat and Remain of a Miller Lite half tranfered into a Corny! Now an official Homebrewer.

Dead: (7) 1/2's of Miller Lite, (1) 1/2 of Blue Moon (6) 1/6's of Blue Moon, (4) 1/6's of Shocktop (2) 1/6's of Landshark Lager (1) 1/4 Yuengling, (1) 1/6 Victory Summer Love (1) 1/6 of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale (1) 1/6 Shipyard Prelude.

Comment

Originally posted by KeggieMaker View Post
                            Here's a look at the kegerator I made some time ago. I chose a chest freezer as the foundation for the kegerator to keep things simple and compact. I learned that chest freezers maintain a more consistent temperature with the door open for any period of time, such as when I'm using my BeerGun to bottle from a keg. I chose the collar approach rather than a tower to keep things a little more simple. The tower can pose challenges in maintaining a consistent temperature to the faucet and affects ease of opening the lid and keeping it open. I'm opening the thing more than you might think... sometimes just to admire it!

I started with the Holiday 5.3 cu ft chest freezer from Lowes. I made the collar and rolling bottom tray from hardwood and painted them to compliment the freezer finish. No one can believe they are made from wood, they look like painted metal. The collar is mounted with a proprietary system I designed to make it easy to install and completely removable without any damage to the freezer. The freezer simply sits on the caster mounted bottom tray and lifts off if necessary.

I used pretty high quality components, including Vent-Matic faucets and stainless shanks with removable ends attached with wing nuts for easy removal for a thorough cleaning.

The CO2 distributor has an additional 4th port for other temporary uses even while there are three kegs attached. I also have a dual regulator setup, which allows me to push wine at a lower pressure through one of the faucets. It's all perfectly balanced with tubing lengths calculated to produce the perfect pour without an any excessive foaming.

A digital temp controller on the back and a nice big stainless drip tray on the front makes it all functional.

I'm curious if anyone thinks there a market for selling a collar and tray conversion kit comprised of what you see here without the freezer, CO2 bottle/regulator, kegs and drip tray? It would sure make putting a quality kegerator together a lot easier. Could make them to suit larger freezer models with more faucets as well. What do you all think?

Thanks.
                            have you made a set of plans that looks great. i am looking for the exact thing setup as you.

Comment

Love the photos. I saw that a computer power supply was used to cool a tower which seems like a great way to reuse an old computer, but I am worried that the moist conditions will be dangerous. Anyone here have any experience with this set up?

Comment

Working...
                              X