novice kegerator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• novice kegerator question

i'd like to have keg beer in my bar...only seems natural, right? i've looked around at kegeraotrs, but with a kegerator is it possible to have the tap come out through the countertop, or can a typical kegerator not be modified to do this?

i also considered just buying a kegerator tower conversion kit and just run that to my keg in an iced tub underneath the counter. is that too ghetto? basically, my thinking here was: 1) it'd be much cheaper, and 2) since we only usually get kegs for parties, an iced tub would probably suffice. but then i though that if i went this route, i'd eventually wish that i had gone with an actual kegerator in the first place so i could have draft beer whenever i want, not just for parties when we have to load up on ice for the tub.

so basically, i want a tap out of my bar counter, and i want to know what the best way to go about it would be.

Plenty of people have installed under counter kegerators and run them up into towers on their bar. A beer tower makes a bar complete. Look at the beer equipment store here at the kegerators. There's a great under counter unit that goes under a bar. You really do want an under counter unit. You can use a standard unit, but you have to build around it and really plan for air circulation.

If you want to see examples of what people have done, search the forums for "under counter".

I would recommend getting the kegerator and skip the iced tub plan. You'll be happy in the long run. Especially if the keg doesn't get killed at the party. You have to keep the beer cold or you risk a bacteria problem. You can keep a keg in a kegerator for months and you'll never need to buy ice, and you can pour a beer anytime you please.

If you get a kegerator, there are lots of people here that will be happy to point you in the right direction to get it set up properly.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

thanks for the reply. i'm new to this site, and i gotta say, the prompt reply was nice. thanks again.
      anyways, you mentioned that it'd be best to use an under counter unit. as you can probably guess, i'm new to most of this...i'm just curious how under counter units are different from standard units. more specifically, what about the unit design makes it optimal for under the counter installation vs. standard unit designs?
      you also mentioned that a standard unit could be used, but then i'd have to make sure to plan for air circulation. how much area are we talking about? -- and where would that extra area need to be in relation to the kegerator? -- behind? above? on the sides?
      there are stores around here that sell various kegerators, but i'm pretty sure they are all standard units. they seem like nice units, but i don't want to force a standard unit under my counter if it's gonna cause more trouble than it's worth. on the other hand, it's tempting to go with a standard unit since i can buy it now and have it now...i don't need to wait for shipping (or pay for shipping, for that matter). i understand that under the counter units are preferred for my situation, but i guess overall cost, not to mention the ease of being able to to buy it locally, make getting a standard unit tempting.
      i wanna do this right, but i don't want to pay unneccessary extra costs (i.e., under counter unit) if going a different route (i.e., standard unit) would suffice.
      thanks for your help...it's appreciated.

Comment

People have used standard units under counter, but you need air flow on the sides and behind it. Generally at least 6" on both sides and the back. People have installed small fans around it to help the air flow. So it can work. It's easier if you haven't already built the bar. The under counter units are designed to compensate for this lack of air space around the unit. Here's a link to what you can do with an under counter unit...

With a standard unit, you risk over heating and blowing the compressor, which usually costs more than the unit itself to replace. It might be a bit more up front, but I think you'll be sorry you didn't if you end up killing a cheaper non-under counter unit.

There's also this one here, which is $200 cheaper than the model I posted above. If the cost is still prohibitive, you can check Craig's List to look for a used one, but I rarely see under counter units listed there.
        Last edited by cubby_swans; 12-12-2008, 09:15 PM.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Originally posted by cubby_swans View Post

With a standard unit, you risk over heating and blowing the compressor, which usually costs more than the unit itself to replace. It might be a bit more up front, but I think you'll be sorry you didn't if you end up killing a cheaper non-under counter unit.
          To be precise... it would not "overheat & blow the compressor". What it would do is reduce the cooling capacity of the system. At the extreme it would warp the valves in the compressor without cooling air. In that regard, cubby is correct.

THE ICEMAN
          My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
          "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
          -Dave Barry-
          "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
          Strong beer is the milk of the old."
          -Martin Luther-

Comment

thanks for the help, guys. looks like i'll probably end up going with an under counter unit. i don't think i'd have enough room under my bar to accomodate the necessary 6" of extra space all the way around the unit. i've seen kegerators in some stores near me, so hopefully they have some under counter units that i could buy locally...going with an under counter unit is already getting up there in cost, and the shipping costs of ordering it through here or elsewhere is no small charge either. anyone ever see under counter units available in stores, or is that pretty much something that i'll have to just suck it up and buy online?

Comment

Working...
            X