2 Single Towers Or One Dual Tower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Single Towers Or One Dual Tower?

After learning that I can get 3 sixtels in a 7.2 cubit feet chest freezer my next question is:

Question One:

Would it be better to install 2 single towers or 1 dual tap tower? (I plan on using 2 sixtels)

I've noticed that in the Beer Equipment Store they illustrate that the regulator is shared between the 2 sixtels.

This seems kind of annoying. What if you, for whatever reason, only have one keg? How would you deal with the unshared regulator hose connection? Is there a way to "plug" the unused side?

My inclination is to drill for two separate towers. But I don't know which would be more efficient. Two separate towers would look cooler to me.

What is your opinion?

I will base my final decision on your replies.

Question 2:

If I use 2 separate regulators how easy is it to link the 2 together?

Question 3:

What size CO2 canister should I get for 2 sixtels? Would a 5 lbs. be sufficient?

Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by Lush; 12-01-2008, 01:16 PM.

I would go with the single column dual tap. Remember you have to cool the towers anyway so why don't ya take the easy way out and only have to cool one

Running two kegs off the same regulator is fine if both beers need the same CO2 pressure. I went with a secondary regulator so I can adjust each keg separately. If you use only one regulator and have it spliced into two kegs simply untapping the other coupler will stop the flow of CO2 into that side.

5 LBS cylinder will be fine for 10 full size kegs

Comment

Originally posted by Lush View Post
      Would it be better to install 2 single towers or 1 dual tap tower? (I plan on using 2 sixtels)
      You could add 2 towers if you like, but

#1 - it will probably be more expensive,
      #2 - you will be adding unnecessary extra space that the freezer has to cool
      #3 - you will need to build a tower cooler for both towers.

Two towers would be more inefficient than just a standard dual tap tower.

This seems kind of annoying. What if you, for whatever reason, only have one keg? How would you deal with the unshared regulator hose connection? Is there a way to "plug" the unused side?
      The regulator has a shut off valve on both sides of the Y-splitter. Just turn off whichever line is not used. If you choose not to shut it off, make sure the unused keg coupler handle is in the up position. That will stop the flow of CO2. Its easier to just shut the valve off and not worry about leaks.

If I use 2 separate regulators how easy is it to link the 2 together?
      If you decide to go with 2 regulators, you can purchase the battery series regulator. Dual Primary Regulator If you have a regulator already, you can add this Add On Regulator

The links that I posted will help you run two kegs that require different CO2 pressures. If you purchase the kit in the link you posted above, the regulator that is included will allow you to run 2 kegs, however, you will be forced to run the same pressure to both kegs. To fix this, you can purchase the regulator in the second link, the Add-On.

What size CO2 canister should I get for 2 sixtels? Would a 5 lbs. be sufficient?
      Yes, as stated above, you should be able to get 8-10 full size kegs out of a 5lb canister.
      Last edited by KingPin461; 12-01-2008, 09:10 AM.
      When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Comment

+1 on a dual tap single tower.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

The question of one 2 faucet tower or two singles is entirely your call. Go with what you like.

I would think that a converted freezer should have the cooling capacity to cool 2 towers.

Be aware that you will need to build a fan cooler for both towers and will neeed either 2 drip trays or a larger tray to fit the tower configuration.

I personally would go with the single 2 faucet tower, for no other reason than I like the look.

As far as the regulator goes, the one pictured in your link has 2 shut off valves and should work just fine. If you really want to better contol the pressure on your 2 beers, I recommend adding a two product secondary regulator set inside your cooler. http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-pid-8022.html

I do not recommend trusting that simply leaving the handle up to shut off your gas, I guarentee that you will bump the handle and loose your gas very quickly. I know, I did it.

Enjoy your kegerator, which ever way you build it, toss one back for us!

Dennis

Comment

Thank you all for your advice and input!

It looks like I'm going with the dual tap tower. It just makes more sense.

DCullender I too live in the Richmond area, and I noticed that on the Corks and Kegs website, there seems to be a limit on the variety of sixtels with there tremendous keg menu. And I do notice that some are really expensive. Especially the ones I'd like to get.

But that's just a sacrifice I'll just have to make.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
            X