Removing an Oeteker (stepless) clamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing an Oeteker (stepless) clamps

Does anyone have any tips/tricks to removing these? I've found I can eventually get them off with a hacksaw but it takes forever.

I did search the forum but couldn't seem to find anything on it.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by whutever; 11-17-2008, 06:22 PM.
    Beer - the 5th food group!

I was surprised not to find anything on the forum, too.

It took me a while, but I finally figured out how to get them off fairly easily. My moment of inspiration was when I began figuring out if there was anything thin enough to go under the "flap" and bend it up that wouldn't break or bend in the process.

Finally, I realized what might work: a chisel! I found a relatively small and sharp chisel, worked it under the flap, and in less than a minute each, I had the clamps off.

I seem to remember someone suggesting a Dremel tool, too, but if you give a chisel a try, you might have as much luck as I did.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by imnlfn View Post
      Finally, I realized what might work: a chisel!
      Imnlfn, that's awesome. Found a chisel and set to work. 10 seconds in to it I realized it was too big. (Think, man think) Just as it must glow when one views the Holy Grail, I saw the same thing whilst staring at my tool chest trying to think of something I could use. There tucked away in the screwdriver drawer was an itsy bitsy flathead that would probably look more appropriate in an eyeglass case than my toolbox. 30/45 seconds later it was off!

Your ingenuity rocks - thanks!
      Last edited by whutever; 11-17-2008, 02:39 PM.

Comment

They're remarkably easy to undo once you get the flap pried up a little, aren't they?

Anyway, you're quite welcome.

Comment

I've always ripped them off with pliers. Get the edge of the pliers under the end, rock them back and off it comes.
          Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
          but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

If you don't have an oetiker tool (and not many people do) to take the clamp off, you can use a pair of diagonal cutters to cut through the crimped portion of the clamp. After that you can just peel the clamp off.

OETIKER TOOL

THE ICEMAN
            Last edited by THE ICEMAN; 11-17-2008, 07:57 PM.
            My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
            "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
            -Dave Barry-
            "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
            Strong beer is the milk of the old."
            -Martin Luther-

Comment

Ahhhhh, the holy grail of Oeteker clamp removal.....
              Ed
              Blue Line Draft Systems
              www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

Ok, the flap on a second clamp just would not bend. Not wanting to risk damaging anything a quick trip to the hardware store and I was back home with something called an "Abrasive Wheel Mandrel Set" and a 1/32" cut-off wheel. This removed the crimped portion of the clamp in no time.

Comment

Here is the easiest way I've found in over 12 years installing beer systems.

Using the crimping tool you used to crimp the step, simply cut the crimped portion on the side with the flap. After the crimp is cut, the clamp pulls off.

3 - 4 seconds tops.

I use a "horse shoe nail" puller from Home Depot or Lowes. $10 bucks, it's great!

Dennis Cullender
                  The Draft Doctor
                  Richmond, VA

Comment

Installation/Removal Instructions OETIKER International

Comment

Originally posted by DCullender View Post
                      Here is the easiest way I've found in over 12 years installing beer systems.

Using the crimping tool you used to crimp the step, simply cut the crimped portion on the side with the flap. After the crimp is cut, the clamp pulls off.

3 - 4 seconds tops.

I use a "horse shoe nail" puller from Home Depot or Lowes. $10 bucks, it's great!

Dennis Cullender
                      The Draft Doctor
                      Richmond, VA
                      Dead on, thats how I've been doing it for 11 years. In the same motion, use the oetiker jaw to cut the side of the plastic tube on the barb and with a twist and swing motion(not pull) the tube comes right off. % seconds tops, unless the bow kicks sideways instead of cuts.

Comment

Working...
                      X