What should I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I buy?

Ok everyone, I need some suggestions. My wife wants to get me a kegerator for my birthday. She told me to just go get one since she doesn't really know anything about them. I have her permission to buy a Beverage Air! Now, here are my questions....

I would like to get a dual tap set up so I can get two sixtels in there at once. So is the Beverage Air good for that? Does it have enough room? Does it have a cooled tower? Also, how noisy are those compared to the Sanyo models?

Should I buy the Sanyo model and save some money? How does the reliability compare? What about one of those fridge deals like Frigidaire? I'm not sure what to do. Any and all help is appreciated!

Originally posted by ImstilltheGman View Post
    I would like to get a dual tap set up so I can get two sixtels in there at once. So is the Beverage Air good for that?
    Yep, you should be able to fit 3 sixtels in there. So you can have one on backup, too, if you think you're running low on one of the tapped ones.

Does it have a cooled tower?
    Yep, comes with a built in fan and blower hose.

Also, how noisy are those compared to the Sanyo models?
    They are commercial units, and will be louder than the Sanyo models. Many people report significant noise out of these, so much that it bother's them quite a bit. Other's don't seem bothered by it so much. Most people who seem to be bothered by them are the ones who have them located in a regularly used recreation area, such as a home theater. So I guess it depends on where it's going to be located.

Should I buy the Sanyo model and save some money?
    I don't hear about too many problems with them. You don't get the tower cooling, so you'd have to add that if you wanted to (but you don't HAVE to). I guess it depends on how you feel about spending $700/$800 vs $1500. I think the frigidaire refrigerator model probably works fine, too. But I like the look of the box kegerator with the tower better.

So.... long story short, if I had money to burn to get a beverage air... I'd get it. Otherwise I'd go with the Sanyo, build myself a tower cooler, and spend the other $700 on good beer. Either option will probably make you just as happy, because both options end up with you owning a kegerator

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Do you know if the noise is louder than a Beverage Air mini fridge? I have an old Coke fridge made by them down in the beer cellar. I can hear the hum from it upstairs in the living room when it kicks on. I will be putting the kegerator right next to it.

Comment

I would get the Beverage Air..no question. I have the BM23-2 and you can fit 3 sixtels in it! I currently only tap 2, but I am tempted to pick up a 3 tap tower. I also like the look of the beverage air unit, all stainless on the inside looks very classy.

As far as noise..I have it in my bar in the basement and have never had a complaint of it being too loud. I can barely hear it kick on especially if I am watching tv.

Here are some pics of it. If you want some more pics let me know..I really love it

My Basement - AVS Forum

Comment

You can be a handyman and build one yourself. Would cost half as much and would hold twice the beer. And seeing your beautiful creation pour beautiful beer is priceless. Just my $0.02.

Comment

Originally posted by HaveAnotherBrew View Post
            You can be a handyman and build one yourself. Would cost half as much and would hold twice the beer. And seeing your beautiful creation pour beautiful beer is priceless. Just my $0.02.
            I thought about that, too. But I just like (and want) the look of the boxy kegerator with the shiny tap standing on top. I'm really leaning towards the BM23-2 right now. I'll probably only have one keg in there most of the time, but I like having the option of two.

Comment

The Beverage Air is the way to go out of the two you are considering.

But don't write off a conversion yet. A conversion is most of the time cheaper than a new commercial unit. You could do a chest freezer conversion & still have your taps on a tower as many here have done or you could try a refrigerator conversion. And they don't have to look like just a refrigerator with a beer tap hanging off it. Here is mine...

It has a dual tap & I can fit a full keg & a sixth in it with ease. Something to consider.

THE ICEMAN
              My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
              "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
              -Dave Barry-
              "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
              Strong beer is the milk of the old."
              -Martin Luther-

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
                The Beverage Air is the way to go out of the two you are considering.

But don't write off a conversion yet. A conversion is most of the time cheaper than a new commercial unit. You could do a chest freezer conversion & still have your taps on a tower as many here have done or you could try a refrigerator conversion. And they don't have to look like just a refrigerator with a beer tap hanging off it. Here is mine...

It has a dual tap & I can fit a full keg & a sixth in it with ease. Something to consider.

THE ICEMAN
                Man, that is still awesome. You and your friend who helped could easily market these. Every one with a unique paint job. Or just do the work on someone else's fridge.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Originally posted by ImstilltheGman View Post
                  I thought about that, too. But I just like (and want) the look of the boxy kegerator with the shiny tap standing on top. I'm really leaning towards the BM23-2 right now. I'll probably only have one keg in there most of the time, but I like having the option of two.
                  Here's mine. Boxy kegerator, shiny tower (not tap). Altogether including first two kegs and deposits was around $900 or so. It holds a full barrel, as in two 1/2 barrels. If you wanted you could easily have four or more taps if you used 1/6 barrels. By far more bang for your buck. But hell if your wifes buying then why not buy a commercial one.

As you can see it is basically a blank canvas for whatever you want to make it into. I don't see the same kind of freedom in a commercial unit.
                  Last edited by HaveAnotherBrew; 10-19-2008, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X