Paint Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Question

I'm thinking about painting my fridge a different color. I am re-decorating my basement to be my new bedroom/lounge type area, and "old appliance white" won't look too hot with my color scheme.

I am looking into what types of paint will work well on a standard refrigerator surface. I already cleaned the entire thing inside and out with a commercial bleach spray type cleaner, so it's dust and dirt free.

I'm looking to rattle-can it so probably going with Krylon or other quality spraypaint. I want a satin or wrinkle finish. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks!
    "For Barack Obama to argue that he's experienced enough to be president because he's running for president is desperate circular logic and it's laughable."

Pretty easy project....

Use an appliance primer then paint it with whatever you want to paint it with. Just make sure that you use a very good primer that is specifically made for appliances.

After you prime it you can paint it with whatever you want. However, i would make sure that you use an oil based paint...not a laytex paint.

Good Luck.

Comment

In addition to the appliance primer, there is appliance enamel in spray cans available, usually just the basic colors, but it keeps the shine and toughness of the orignal paint job.

Comment

Originally posted by MM-Sean View Post
        In addition to the appliance primer, there is appliance enamel in spray cans available, usually just the basic colors, but it keeps the shine and toughness of the orignal paint job.
        Not if he wants to create a faux finish (ie wrinle)...he'll need to paint it Amish style.

But you're right...basic colors this is the way to go...simply spray it and forget it!

Comment

This one won't work? - Krylon Craft Paint Catalog - Krylon Wrinkle Finish Paint - Black, Red - Deversified Brands

I'm either going with black wrinkle or just a standard Krylon Interior/Exterior paint. It says it's good on all surfaces including metal on the product description... but I will ask about basic appliance-specific paint at Home Depot when I'm there later today.

I'm also picking up my plywood and bricks to set up for the Keg and CO2!
          "For Barack Obama to argue that he's experienced enough to be president because he's running for president is desperate circular logic and it's laughable."

Comment

Preparation is the key to a good paint job. Make sure you get the surface good & clean before you prime or paint. Wipe the whole surface off with a lint free rag & alcohol to get off any oils from your hands etc.

My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
            "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
            -Dave Barry-
            "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
            Strong beer is the milk of the old."
            -Martin Luther-

Comment

I went with Rust-Oleum Camo paint (Dark Earth) and I used the red primer. First side is pretty much done, needs a couple light spots touched up since I ran out of paint from the first can. Seems like it will be a pretty durable finish, and will be easy/cheap to touch up. It doesn't need to look pretty, just has to match my room.

I will get some pics up here pretty soon so you guys can see how it turns out. For now the sides are definitely going to be brown, but I'm thinking about doing a 2-tone paint job, not sure what color the front will be... might just keep it all brown though.

Comment

Working...
              X