Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vissani kegerator from Home Depot...garbage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vissani kegerator from Home Depot...garbage?

My girlfriend bought me a Vissani kegerator from Home Depot ($450) for my birthday, which means she is the woman of my dreams and I will soon be marrrying her.

However, I am having a few issues with it and would like to know if it has a reputation for being a POS.

First, an Anheuser Bush 1/2 keg would not fit in the thing. The door wouldn't close - there was a 1/4 inch gap. The bottom of the door was hitting the keg itself. It seems like it's not deep enough. Since Bud products are so popular, I figured it's a bad sign if the thing wouldn't fit. I took the door off the hinges and removed some washers so the door would lower a bit and managed to get the door to close...only to find that there is a gap in the upper part of the door (the magnet doesn't seal completely), so I guess it's not going to cool properly.

Second, it won't cool properly. I put a thermometer in there and it hasn't gone below 45 degrees. Yeah, there's the gap in the door and it doesn't seal all the way, but the system doesn't run coninuously. It runs for a while and then it's silent for quite a while. It seems that it thinks it's cold enough. And yeah, it's set at the coldest setting.

So, anyone have experience with these "Vissani" kegerators?

I'm ready to return the thing to Home Depot and get something else.

Thanks!

John P.

Not certain at first if you were having an issue with getting married or the kegerator! If she likes draught beer and you two desire to enjoy a lot in marital bliss, you may want to investigate a set up that allows for a 1/2 Bbl.

Also, please go easy on the text acronyms. Thanks!
    Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

You must be careful, a lot of the bargain kegerators do not fit 1/2 barrels. Also it probably goes without saying that if the door isnt shut all the way it wont get cold.

Let me tell youi a short story.....Had a fridge that didnt get cold even when it was cranked to the coldest. Noticed it wasnt sealing at the bottom. Got a new magnet strip for the bottom....frooze every thing that was liquid withing 24hrs after getting the seal fixed.

The End.

Comment

Return It

I just bought one last weekend. Piece of garbage. I returned it two days ago. Mine didn't go colder than 41, so i didn't even try to fit anything inside. Mine was also set to the coolest temperature.

When you can't even find the company online outside of message boards, that is scary. I should've known better.

Comment

Originally posted by neiu77 View Post
          I just bought one last weekend. Piece of garbage. I returned it two days ago. Mine didn't go colder than 41, so i didn't even try to fit anything inside. Mine was also set to the coolest temperature.

When you can't even find the company online outside of message boards, that is scary. I should've known better.
          yeah, I should have read too. I fought with it for 2 weeks, then returned that pile of s**t and opted to buy a chest freezer and convert it. I have been happily drinking ice cold beer ever since.

Magic Chef = no customer service and NO technical support.
          If you have this kegerator, return it NOW!!!

Comment

Update

I received my Sanyo BC-1206 and fired it up. I set it to almost the "Coldest" setting and it got down to 20F overnight (no keg inside).

Knowing that the Sanyo worked OK, I returned the Vissani to Home Depot without incident and brought a new keg of Amber Bock home. I brought the Vissani back without the original packaging except the boxes for the little stuff. I just disassembled the thing, repacked the parts in the boxes the way they came and brought it back.

The nice lady at Home Depot asked me, "Why are you returning it?" My response was honest. "It's a very low quality kegerator. A standard AB keg wouldn't fit in it without modifying the door, then the door wouldn't seal properly. And the temp. never got below 46F. Beer needs to be 38F. This thing is pretty low quality. You'll be receiving a lot of returns on these." The lady just said, "Wow, for $450 you'd think it would work right." Yeah.

Avoid the Vissani.

Comment

I go with the old saying you get what you pay for...
              What I got:
              Beverage Air #BM23
              with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
              -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
              -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
              -MM S/S Keg Couplers
              YouTube video of the goods

Comment

Bc-1206s

My wife bought me the BC-1206S kegerator. The temp of beer in glass is 33f. the only mods I did were replace the crap plastic black drip tray with a micromatic stainless drip tray and also i installed a duel co2 regulator so I could see how much CO2 is in the tank. I love this thing im on my third keg and have only had the thing a month.

Comment

Well I just purchased one of these Vissani kegarators. I was at Home Depot Thursday night and they had 10% off appliances. The sale ended that night, so on the spur of the moment I purchased it. The salesperson assured me it would hold all 1/4 and 1/2 barrel kegs. The side of the box says it will hold 1/4 and 1/2 barrels. This morning I opened box and started assembling kegarator. In instructions it says "Coors" kegs don't fit. Great, why didn't they put that on side of box. Now I hear "Bud" 1/2 kegs won't fit.

Wish I read this thread before I purchase this cheap pos.

I'm through with Home Depot. I purchased a "Magic Chef" icemaker a couple of years ago. Thing ran okay, the first couple of times I used it, but then it started making noise. The damn thing is too loud to use in house.

Comment

Dude, its not Home Depot making these piles of crap ... it is Magic Chef. They have no customer service and cannot tell you how to work on it.

I will be avoiding Magic Chef for ever .... they suck

Comment

Update

Well I just got back from the Depot and they gave me a full refund. I too got a keg of Bud and tried to get it in kegerator. The door wouldn't shut, the kegerator is not deep enough. They advertised it as holding 1/4 and 1/2 barrels. It will not hold AB products. The standard AB keg is 16 and 1/6 of an inch in diameter. This kegerator is only like 15 inches deep.

Well anyway the Depot gave me my money back. I think I'm just going to convert one of my old refrigerators to hold a keg.

Comment

Well anyway the Depot gave me my money back.
                        As well they should have, since they sold you a piece of <ahhhem>. And I'm done with them as well. Too many issues with stuff I got there and the "I got everything I need but this one stupid little thing they should always have" episodes that irritate the heck out of me.

Comment

My opinion is build your own . . .

If you've got room in the garage, laundry room, or anywhere else then build your own. You can buy a new or used refrigerator anywhere from a $100 to $400 or so. Purchase any of MM's conversion kits at an excellent price, yank the shelving and crispers, reinforce the bottom of the fridge with 1" sub flooring (paint to match if you want), and with the drilling of one hole in the door you're ready to install the hardware for an excellent Kegerator. Just don't forget to reinforce the shank that goes through the door with some PVC cut to scale. You can do this with either a Fridge or a Freezer - upright or otherwise. Check out the attached pic. I can fit either one 1/2 barrel and one Corney Keg, four Corney Kegs, or one 1/4 barrel and two corney kegs inside.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by whutever; 10-25-2008, 05:06 PM.
                          Beer - the 5th food group!

Comment

Home Depot Vassani Kegerator

There is a small screw on the thermostat control inside the cooler. (You have to take it loose with two screws) Also...Unplug it or you'll get shocked! The screw has red thread sealer on it. Turn it counter clockwise 1/2 turn. Mine went from a warm 45 to 36 on the coldest setting. Also make sure the probe wire is not kinked. Hope this helps.
                            Last edited by fcep; 10-25-2008, 04:00 PM. Reason: Title

Comment

fcep is correct

After purchasing this kegerator and finding similar problems with the fridge only reaching 45 degrees, I am happy to report fcep's instructions are spot on. My fridge now rests comfortably at 36 degrees when my thermostat is set to 4.

Many thanks - this was my only complaint besides the plastic tower and plastic drip tray (which I knowingly accepted with this purchase on account of the reasonable price).

Comment

Working...
                              X